Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Tractors & Barbeque...What a GREAT combination!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• Member No: 94
  • 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 12, 2010 - 10:41 AM

Okay, so I'm the definition of 'Tractor Newbie', but have a strong desire to learn more about my Ariens GT-19...looking forward to the day when I have the guts, and space, to tear it down and rebuild it. It was the last gift my Father-In-Law gave me before passing a few years ago. I like it a lot.

Until I can get to that point in my life, I am THOROUGHLY enjoying the time-honored traditions of TRUE Southern Style Barbeque. Not the char-some-burgers-or-dogs-on-the-grill type of barbeque, but the 'Low & Slow' style of smoking food to absolute tender, juicy, mouth-watering goodness.

I have a professional competition team (Bandit BBQ Crew) in Southern Illinois, am very active with the Illinois BBQ Society and the Kansas City BBQ Society, and even put on The BBQ Boot Camp to help others learn the ins & outs of competition style barbeque.

Though this section of the website is for other 'hobbies', and this barbeque thing is more of a deeply rooted passion, I just wanted to see how many others here share the same type of hobby. Go ahead...post something about your barbeque, grilling, outdoor cooking, cast iron cooking...anything!

Carpe 'Que,
Jim Rhino

#2 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 12, 2010 - 10:49 AM

I love to cook over charcoal or wood fires. I am big fan of cast iron cooking. Thats where the "cast" of "Cast & Que" came from.

Jim hoepfully seeing my MTD project this weekend will make you feel a little more brave about working on your Ariens.

#3 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 12, 2010 - 10:59 AM

Looking forward to it Chuck! Though I can't even figure out how to post pictures on here...don't know if I'm ready to tear into the Ariens yet. :)

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 12, 2010 - 08:17 PM

The biggest thing with tearing the first one down and getting it back together if you are intimidated is to take lots of pictures during the tear down so you have a lot of references and check the manuals section to see about getting manuals to print out, they always help.

As to the bbq, I would love to eventually get into doing the slow smoke but we will have to get situated and get something setup to be able to do it. For now I just have to slobber all over my keyboard when you guys post pics.

#5 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 13, 2010 - 11:30 AM

The biggest thing with tearing the first one down and getting it back together if you are intimidated is to take lots of pictures during the tear down so you have a lot of references and check the manuals section to see about getting manuals to print out, they always help.

As to the bbq, I would love to eventually get into doing the slow smoke but we will have to get situated and get something setup to be able to do it. For now I just have to slobber all over my keyboard when you guys post pics.

Yeah, I plan on taking a cue from Chuck and document everything in pictures. Hopefully that'll make the process easier.

I bet eBay will have a plastic cover for your keyboard...until then, try a double layer of plastic wrap to protect from the slobber...it works for me. :)

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 13, 2010 - 11:52 AM

I could always do something the Red Green way and duck tape a cup under my chin LOL

#7 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 14, 2010 - 02:11 PM

I could always do something the Red Green way and duck tape a cup under my chin LOL

You just have to grow a beard like me, George... gives you more time to catch the slobbers!!

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 14, 2010 - 05:22 PM

I have some chin hair but right now it just acts like a speed bump and makes it hit the number and f keys more then the letters LOL

#9 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 14, 2010 - 05:31 PM

I have some chin hair but right now it just acts like a speed bump and makes it hit the number and f keys more then the letters LOL

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 11:49 AM

So what happened to you guys this weekend and how did the BBQ go? Chuck hasn't been on the site all week yet, so maybe Jim stuffed Chuck in the smoker or it is just coincidence? LOL

#11 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 12:38 PM

So what happened to you guys this weekend and how did the BBQ go? Chuck hasn't been on the site all week yet, so maybe Jim stuffed Chuck in the smoker or it is just coincidence? LOL

I have been sick since sunday night. Today is my first day back at work this week.

uploading pictures right now.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 12:41 PM

I have been sick since sunday night. Today is my first day back at work this week.

uploading pictures right now.

Well you weren't supposed to get sick. At least it sounds like you still got some cooking done. Now watch I already ate lunch and now I am going to be hungry again.

Thanks guys LOL

#13 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 01:28 PM

I posted picture here

#14 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 11:17 AM

Hey guys...just catching up with the thread...sorry. I am actually working on a little video of the weekend's cook. It's about :30 minutes long right now...trying to see what I can cut out to bring it down in time. What I will probably end up doing is posting it in segments. Anyway, I didn't stuff Chuck in the smoker, he got sick, I quit my job (waiting to start my next adventure in May), and hopefully will get the time to finish the video soon. Will let you know!

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 11:26 AM

You guys are really going to make our mouths water posting a video of the food and the weekend. I figured you didn't put Chuck in the smoker but I had to pick fun :D