• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 12:59 PM

Looking for ideas on what I am missing getting the clutch engagment (transmission) to not take my head off when it engages.  The belt is OEM Simplicity and the correct part number, all guards are present and the pully on the BGB has the "slipper" ring as I call it.  All the pulleys are clean and rust free.  My one huge complaint on this tractor has been the jerky clutch engagment. Guess I am spoiled by the smoothness of the Case Hy-drive system.  If the clutch belt engagment wouldnt jerk so badly it would be a very enjoyable tractor to drive beyond not having hyd lift(which I could add).   Any ideas on getting the belt to engage a bit smoother?  Mike

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 03:37 PM

I've been mowing for two summers with my '64 Landlord Mike,and if I let the clutch out too quickly, it's jerky. I mow around a lot of obstacles and I'm always shifting from 2nd to reverse. I'm now use to letting the clutch out easy just as the belt engages, and that works fine. I'm going to check the slip clutch on the RH side of the BGB to make sure there are no worn parts. I would think that this clutch should help to eliminate the jerk when releasing the clutch pedal.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150506_143632-1.jpg

#3 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 04:52 PM

Thats what I thought, and mine doesnt appear to be worn at all.  I also commonly use 2nd and reverse when mowing, only using 1st when trimming the initial loop around the yard.  

• classic said thank you

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 05:59 PM

Have you disassembled the slip clutch assembly, Mike? I haven't had one apart in a while, but there are plastic parts that need to be in good shape. Now that you have me thinking about it, I'm going to take mine apart and check it out.

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 08:02 AM

The slip clutch should have no effect unless it's worn out, and then it would slip too much.  It's a safegaurd for the BGB and isn't used in clutch engagement.

Have you adjusted the clutch by the book?  Sounds like you need to snug up the adjuster on the clutch linkage, or loose the brakeband a bit...basically, you need more travel in your pedal, so it's not set like a hair trigger for clutch engagement.  You should adjust both at once, to work in unison.

• classic and alec have said thanks

#6 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 09:19 AM

That's basicly what I did, she was loaned out for about a year to a buddy and I think he or his cousin messed with the clutch adjustment.  I have it much better now.  And yes, it was like a hair trigger, not enough clutch peddle movement.  Mike

• classic and alec have said thanks

#7 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 09:33 PM

dealing with this same issue thanks for the post

#8 Banjo123 OFFLINE  

Banjo123
  • Member No: 74514
  • 17 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 09:33 AM

Could we get some pics of a properly adjusted clutch linkage and brake band linkage? I too am having this problem. My tractor wants to grind into gear.

#9 Dayton_King ONLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 622 Thanks
  • 697 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 09:10 AM

The brake band needs to completely stop the transmission from spinning. Also on all of the Simplicity made machines I have had I have to quickly and decisively put it into gear. If I linger it grinds. These are ment to be put in one gear and go, no shifting while moving