#1 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 08:06 AM

Darned GM engineers got the great idea that they could hold on V-8 exhaust manifolds with M8 bolts!  That pompous a$$ should be fired!!  He didn't think about our salty WNY winters when he called that shot!  3 out of the 12 manifold bolts had missing head when I looked around to investigate the ticking noise my truck has been making for a while..  Seems the driver's side rear bolt has been missing for quite a while.. Up goes the truck on stands and the torch goes to work to remove the exhaust pipe flanges..  (I tried to start my holey jeans on fire as the torch passed by after lighting it)  I felt this burning sensation and put it out with my other hand!!  DANG!  The flange bolts wheeled right off after heating them..  This won't be so bad after all??!?!

The driver's side has the steering column and all the electrical junk on it so..

Why not start there?  

I struggled with the bolts (which they glue into the aluminum head) I finally get them all out and twist and maneuver the manifold out..  GRRRRR..  The rear bolt had busted off inside the head about 3/16"  Not gonna be easy to extract that one..  Nope- can't extract it because there is NO clearance behind it..  The firewall is about 2.5" in front of it.. So I study the problem for a while and scratch my head and ponder removing the head to fix it..  NO WAY!!  I googled the problem and find it's quite common and issue all over with these trucks..  I broke out the welder and gobbed up a bead from the busted bolt to a washer then welded a nut on top..  I got it to move 1/2 a turn before it busted off..  2 more tried and the same results (minus the half turn that is)..  Time to walk away..  

IMG_2024.JPG

Let's do the other side a while..

The passenger side's front two bolts are gone too..  

IMG_2020.JPG

As I removed the other bolts two more busted right off leaving me with 4 little nubbys in the head..  Better yet, I removed the dipstick tube hold down nut and then pulled up the dipstick with about half the tube with it..   :wallbanging:

IMG_2023.JPG

It was easy to remove the manifold then..  4 little nubby's all in a row..

IMG_2025.JPG

All is great if I want to put the manifold back on with the two center bolts and never check the oil!!  

Nah..

I'm now emptying my shop of 3/8" nuts as I welded them on the nubby's to remove them..  A couple retries as the weld wasn't strong enough..  Success!!  

Then out came the angle die grinder to clean the head up and we have:

IMG_2026.JPG

Good to go!

Now to remove the starter and get to the rest of that rusty dipstick tube..  

That's when I walked out of the shop to order parts in fear that I'd roll the thing out and blow it up..  (I really felt like doing it!)

As I ordered it I discovered a neat repair kit to use on that drivers side rear bolt so I didn't have to remove it!!  It's in the mail since nobody local has it..  (surprising since I see so many GM trucks all over)  

The busted dipstick tube waits for me to have the patience and lack of anger to remove it in a fashion so I won't have to remove the oil pan to retrieve the bottom piece..  More to follow there I'm sure..  The truck has a home for a while in the middle of my shop floor..  I've got to fix some more electrical things for someone..  I'm so glad I took this vacation!  (I need a vacation from vacation?) 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 10 others have said thanks

#2 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 08:54 AM

What's the kit to remove the broken manifold bolt on the drivers side? Mine's ticking as well until it warms up.

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 08:59 AM

...... and people wonder why WE mechanics charge so much!

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 09:11 AM

Been there done that. I have a 1993 Chevy Silvearado 1/2 ton we are going to start working on to restore / customize in a year or so. Already see three manifold bots are missing heads on them. Michigan is the same with all the salt used to clear roads in the winter. The wife and I went out the other day to check out the hunting truck (1992 Chevy 1/2 ton ) and when I pulled the dip stick I only had part of it .... the handle! Had to dig out the rest and make a suitable replacement for it.   Glad to see you are making headway. Good luck.                                                                                                                                            Roger

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 10:04 AM

Most of these bolts are "Special" anymore. Have little dab of sealant on them to hold them in. Any time  you have Steel and alum, you have trouble, not sure why they like to use it so much on an engine. Keep in mind also that they used NO gasket on the new, orig engines there and you NEED to go get some for the re-attachment now. Not sure why they don't use gasket new either, but that is still that way. How about the NEW engines now being ALL aluminum, cept the HD ones. The blocks are too now on the standard engines. Has to be a 6 litre to get iron engines now, and is still the last gen design on those. That is another good reason to get 3/4 ton truck I'm thinking.  Too hard to work on stuff now days, I do little myself anymore.  Time to trade in?? The ones at work that trade every other year must have it about right. About time they need maintainance  they trade them in, ha!

#6 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 10:59 AM

I felt the same way a couple of weeks ago when I had to replace all the brake lines on my 2004 Silveraldo . :wallbanging:   . My neighbor who owns a business and has two 2003 Silveraldo's had to replace brake lines on both trucks last year . Rusted out brake lines are such a problem that GM came out with a full replacement kit (7 lines in kit ) and they had to back order mine and it took them 5 days to get it in because of the demand .  

TractorTinkerer , what year is your GMC ?? I was wondering if I might have this problem down the road . It might be time for me to look for a new truck ...... :smilewink:

Edited by Jlaws, July 15, 2015 - 11:00 AM.

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 11:04 AM

That's when I walked out of the shop to order parts in fear that I'd roll the thing out and blow it up..  (I really felt like doing it!)

I'm so glad I took this vacation!  (I need a vacation from vacation?) 

. . . and you folks will go out and buy another one of these when it's time and say they are your favorite brand and give the finger to a FORD when it drives by. Go figure!

• Gtractor, WNYTractorTinkerer, adamjd200 and 1 other said thanks

#8 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 11:11 AM

...... and people wonder why WE mechanics charge so much!

Or wonder why our vehicles are in the worst shape.. Like I wanna go add to my headache by looking at another problem.. "It'll be OK I'll look at it tomorrow..."
  • crittersf1 said thank you

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 11:23 AM

. . . and you folks will go out and buy another one of these when it's time and say they are your favorite brand and give the finger to a FORD when it drives by. Go figure!

rolling by on top of a roll back doesn't count as "Driving by"  :poke:  :poke: :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  

I never had an issue when I swapped motors in my Tahoe, all my bolts were tight and came out without issue, I dunno

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 11:28 AM

I never had an issue when I swapped motors in my Tahoe, all my bolts were tight and came out without issue, I dunno

Wasn't that the one that just had a motor swap 7 month before that? Good on you for using Nevuh Seez'!!!

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 11:46 AM

Wasn't that the one that just had a motor swap 7 month before that? Good on you for using Nevuh Seez'!!!

Nope, not me.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 11:57 AM

You guys have me afraid to look close at the bolts on our 2001 GMC !
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 12:24 PM

Lots of people give the finger to Ford's when they launch a Spark plug.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to fix an exhaust leak in my 2003 Sierra.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Lots of people give the finger to Ford's when they launch a Spark plug.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to fix an exhaust leak in my 2003 Sierra.

:bigrofl:

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 01:44 PM

What's the kit to remove the broken manifold bolt on the drivers side? Mine's ticking as well until it warms up.

You fix it without removing the manifold..  I could have done the same but an glad I fixed it since the dipstick tube was grenaded!  

HERE is the part and it's cheapest @ Rock Auto..

• bh115577 said thank you