8 replies to this topic

#1 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 06:57 AM

Quick background- We have 4 kids from 3-7 years old, we just moved from 5 acres down to 1 (but a very big feeling and private 1 acre), we just sold the go-cart as we really don't have enough room for it and I want to build some 4 wheeled pedal bikes for the kids.  I was thinking of snagging some old bikes and using the parts or purchasing new parts if they weren't terribly expensive.  I have found some plans online but looks like I would have to spend quite a bit to complete them. Anyhow, if anyone can offer any sage advice or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

• jd.rasentrac and CharlesDes have said thanks

#2 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 07:22 AM

IMG_1016.JPG IMG_1016.JPG I have only ever seen one we called it a car bike it had a steering wheel instead of handle bars probably bought from sears back in the 50's it was my brothers I wish I had it today

Edited by HANKG, July 15, 2015 - 07:29 AM.

• middleageddeere said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 07:31 AM

When my son was ten we got him a Kett Kar. It was a pedal powered go cart that he ran around the yard and basement. I see them at tag sales occassionally and just a couple of weeks ago at the transfer station(it was repairable). They are well built but should not be left out in the weather(the chain drive rusts). There are chinese copies around too now. If you find one it may save you some time. Good Luck, Rick

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 10:25 AM

Aren't they old enough for two wheels and not fall off now??   AND, modern world is full of electric drivables, both 4 and 2 wheel (with helpers) and kids want those, no work then! 

On bikes, no reason two similar or same models can't be locked together side by side with some frame tubes between them. U-bolt them on or use axles and other places on bikes to connect. Would need to make the steering be linked together so going same way each time. The pedals and any shifting if there would not have to be connected and be fine. That way One person could still ride it if needed, OR, one could make other rider DO all the work to move them, ha!  Look around, maybe on net and find those Old People type bikes with baskets between them  and such for shopping and hauling. Might give you ideas.

Myself, kinda like those new Schwinn chopper bikes with big wide wheel and tire in back, cool fenders and such. Not that expensive, but sure cool!  Can get those smaller sizes too. Kids would be COOL then, heck with 4 wheels!

#5 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 01:29 PM

Started looking up the Kett Car and pretty impressed for the price, may just go that route.

Yeah, 2 of the 4 ride with no training wheels and 1 is in between training wheels and 1 is just learning with training wheels.  But riding circle around the driveway isn't a lot of fun. We went to a place that had the 4 wheeled bikes and all the kids really loved them.

Edited by middleageddeere, July 15, 2015 - 01:29 PM.

#6 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,998 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 02:00 PM

Started looking up the Kett Car and pretty impressed for the price, may just go that route.

Stempel_made_in_Germany.png

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 12:17 PM

For ideas, do a goggle search for Conneticut Yankee Bike Shop in Chariton Iowa.
Their 3 wheelers are all the rage here in Iowa.
People come from around the world to ride RAGBRi every summer.
They start by dipping a wheel in the Missouri River and over a week ride across the state ending by dipping a wheel in the Mississippi River.

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 01:07 AM

Yeah, 2 of the 4 ride with no training wheels and 1 is in between training wheels and 1 is just learning with training wheels.  But riding circle around the driveway isn't a lot of fun. We went to a place that had the 4 wheeled bikes and all the kids really loved them.

I saw one at the Zagray Show last Saturday and here is one on CL tonight.  http://newlondon.cra...5137871888.html

Original Kettcar - $20 (Colchester)

<>
00K0K_EbimzXoyqK_600x450.jpg

00K0K_EbimzXoyqK_50x50c.jpg00q0q_dmUbTn4e2jE_50x50c.jpg

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted July 25, 2015 - 08:50 AM

I remember toys r us selling those back when i was a kid. Wanted one real bad, never got it though.
  • middleageddeere and boyscout862 have said thanks