Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Don't know what this oil is or what's needed?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 11:20 PM

Have my power brush. Has worm-gear drive like a tiller sort of.  Manual says to use Benz #8 worm gear oil in it.  I found a Benz Oil company in Milwaukee. Called thinking maybe that is where PK bought it from, they are close by or Were that is.  Talked to a tech. HE was NOT familiar with that product at first, then came up with another #80 oil or such that they sold. He did not know actual weight, but said was ISO 680.  Looking at some chart, he said between 140 and 220 weight oil. Also mentioned OO grade grease for some GT rears, but said it is more like thin grease, not an oil. I have to pour this thru a 3/8" pipe plug hole when back together. Mission Manuf. has the correct oil, but not called exactly what I mention here, but is for the brush. About $15 for a quart. He thinks a quart should fill it, I find no info on how much is needed, cept out the level plug when full and level. Buy two or ??  Anyone one else here good on the oils and know what this Benz stuff is?  Total confusion here. I'm buying expensive gears to fix this thing and want it to last, so want right stuff in it.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,693 Thanks
  • 28,340 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 05:35 AM

Wish I could help GL.
If it ends up being grease, you can heat it some to get it where it's going.
  • Alc said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 05:46 AM

Have no idea which to use but you should be able to hand load a grease gun ,remove the coupler to let it come out quicker

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,339 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 09:50 AM

600 weight oil, also called cylinder oil.

I've only found 5 gallon pails, still looking for smaller sizes. Grainger has it.
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 framesteer OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 327 Thanks
  • 161 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 11:00 AM

For small quantities of 00 grade (thin) grease, you can use John Deere cornhead grease.  They sell it in 14oz tubes.  The cornhead gearbox consists of spur gears and ball bearings, but no worm gears.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,051 Thanks
  • 2,092 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 12:46 PM

Bolens and Hahn-Eclipse tillers had steel worm gears running against a bronze worm wheel.  .....Both of these brands called for SAE90

gear oil.

Snapper also used "00" grease in their rider gear boxes, but they had straight-cut gears.   .....The 00 grease is semi-liquid and is available in 1 quart squeeze-bottles from Snapper dealers. 

Another suitable lube would be SAE 140 gear oil.  .....It is thicker than SAE90, but is still pourable.  .....It does not leak past seals as readily.  .....It has a higher viscosity than SAE90, so it "clings" to the gears more.  .....It will get thicker in cold temps, but not as thick as grease. 

If any of the gears or bushings are brass or bronze, you want to avoid most synthetic lubes.  .....Most synthetics are not compatible with "yellow" metals, and corrodes them.

My preference would be for the SAE 140, if it were mine.  .....I would also avoid multi-grade gear oils if possible.

When there is only a fill plug located on the side of a gearbox, the correct fill level is to fill until over-flowing.  ....I like to slightly over-fill a gearbox.

• Bolens 1000, MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,533 Thanks
  • 3,781 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 01:21 AM

Like Bruce mentioned if the gear box contains yellow metal be sure to use only a GL4 rated oil.  It does not have the sulfer that attacks yellow metals.

My Dodge standard transmission calls for 80-90 GL4 due to the sycros being yellow metal.  Pricey from Dodge but can be got from most suppliers.