Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 09:27 PM

Maybe you fellows can help me.  

I recently bought a GT 5000, 2004 model, with 25 hp Kohler and hydrostatic drive.  It had a rough life, but is to be used as a back up.

I test drove it and everything was fine.

As I used it today, about 10 - 15 minutes in, the power cut out, it blew out some black smoke from the muffler.  Immediately the clutch pedal was pushed and it cleared up in a second.  It happened several other times, with no clear interval of time.  The job I was doing was small, so I was able to finish and got it ready to be put away.

Gas is 91 octane non ethanol.  I just put 5 gallons in.  Tank was just about empty.  Oil was med brown and full.  It is still full each time I have checked it.

I plan to switch to full synthetic when I change air and oil filters.

Any ideas on the engine issue?  I've never had that one yet.  It would explain why the last owner let it go cheap.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 09:43 PM

New High Test gas is loosening up stuff and blowing it out??? Maybe sticky valves, need Marvel Mystery Oil run thru it and the gas too?  Is this a laid down or Vertical twin engine?  My Kohler in the small deere is 23hp and it does odd things, like burning oil when first starting, and one winter was knocking and carrying on with valve noises for a lengthy time, but that cleared up and has never happened again. I'm kinda thinking the oils in those drain down and collect in cylinders when stopped, burn out when started, and maybe the valves were drained hydraulic lifters??  New engines also run very lean now days, and no or little carb adjustments can be made. SO, if gunked up with bad gas, will have to run Chem-tool or other cleaners thru them awhile to maybe clean out?

• daytime dave, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 09:51 PM

Pcv valve?
Could also be needing some good carb cleaner thru it.

If you get to playing with the carb, watch that little hose on the passenger side, they get brittle and ground the machine until fixed.
  • daytime dave and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 10:18 PM

Also look at the gas cap for venting. Good Luck, Rick
  • daytime dave said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 04:19 AM

Neighbor had something similar going on with his, but was cutting out pretty good at speed with a load. Found out the fuel filter was too small for it. It was a new one he bought, I could barely blow through it.

• daytime dave and MH81 have said thanks

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 07:04 AM

Gummy carb? How long had it been sitting?

#7 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 11:03 AM

Gummy carb? How long had it been sitting?

As far as I can tell, it had been in use until the previous owner bought a zero turn.  I don't think it sat long.  

I'll look at the carb as soon as I can, thanks fellas.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 11:12 AM

I would change the gas filter first. As easy as they are to get to, you'd feel silly if it was that.
  • daytime dave and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 09:13 PM

Here's an update on the GT5000.  I finally acquired all the necessary tune up items.  I added seafoam in the oil, ran it around for a bit.  I changed the air filter out, cleaned and reoiled the foam band, changed the oil to synthetic, added Lucas synthetic oil treatment, put Seafoam in the gas, changed the gas filter, and put in new spark plugs.

I tried it out first without the hood on.  It ran and operated great.  I put the hood on and it also operated great.  A week prior I doused the carb and linkages with a very healthy dose of carb cleaner.

I'm glad it's running better.  I boughy it to be a back up mower.  It mows nicely and I just might have more in store for it.  If I can find a snow blower for it, that would be nice.  I can see a sleeve hitch in it's future.  

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm thinking all I did for it improved things, but the air filter may have been the key.  Who knows, it is running well and I'll take that all day long.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,510 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 06:34 AM

I put a Johnnie Bucket on a 26 h.p. Briggs version that came with a 54" deck. I used it for a bush hog on freshly cleared land, then threw the deck away and used it like a bulldozer for over a year, then sold it with the bucket for $550. The steering and front spindles were a little loose, but it was tougher than I thought it would be.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 06:40 AM

Dave,
Glad you got it to behave itself.
One little thing I had to do, look able the transmission and make sure the gas line isn't laying on it or near it.
Also, keep the hydro cleaned off and does yours have an oil filter on the tranny? (Don't look in the book, visually inspect)

#12 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 08:39 AM

Alan,

I checked the gas line and it's well clear of the transmission.  I didn't notice a filter on the hydro, but I will look more carefully next time I'm out there (It's at  my parents place)

• MH81 said thank you