Photo
- - - - -

Power King restoration near completion!

powerking economytractor restoration kohler

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 11:45 AM

I'd love to see some pictures of your 1973 powerking if you dont mind. I know, from what i understand the powerking company has never been very good at record keeping or anything of that nature.

The only pics I have are of when I dragged it home.  It's been in pieces for the last two years as I haven't had a lot of time to even look at it.  Nothing special.

73 PK 1.JPG 73 PK 2.JPG 73 PK 3.JPG 73 PK 4.JPG

#17 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 03:07 PM

That is a sharp looking tractor (not yours DB )!

1978 was the first year for the number designation.

You will have better suspension if you turn your seat spring in the other direction.

• David Brown said thank you

#18 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 03:41 PM

[quote name="Username" post="591147" timestamp="1436904471"]

That is a sharp looking tractor (not yours DB )!quote]

Hey, it will be someday!
  • KennyP and Username have said thanks

#19 Bigdaddypowerking OFFLINE  

Bigdaddypowerking
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 73092
  • 21 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 03:47 PM

That is a sharp looking tractor (not yours DB )!

1978 was the first year for the number designation.

You will have better suspension if you turn your seat spring in the other direction.

Thanks! I think I will do that with the seat I was debating which way to put it.

The only pics I have are of when I dragged it home.  It's been in pieces for the last two years as I haven't had a lot of time to even look at it.  Nothing special.

attachicon.gif73 PK 1.JPGattachicon.gif73 PK 2.JPGattachicon.gif73 PK 3.JPGattachicon.gif73 PK 4.JPG

Looks like your tractor has a lot of potential to it, my tractor doesn't have the black number on it like yours does and I don't know why do you? Also, is yours a 1614 too?

#20 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 07:06 PM

Yes, under the number system it would be a 1614. What black number are you referring to? Am I missing something?

#21 Bigdaddypowerking OFFLINE  

Bigdaddypowerking
  • GTt Junior
  • 21 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 11:26 PM

I meant *black bumper. Mine doesn't have that bumper and I've seen a lot of those on the 1614''s

Yes, under the number system it would be a 1614. What black number are you referring to? Am I missing something?

#22 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 04:18 AM

I meant *black bumper. Mine doesn't have that bumper and I've seen a lot of those on the 1614''s

Oh, that makes sense now.  Your should have that black bumper.  I just figured you didn't have it on yet.  Shouldn't be too difficult to find one.

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 08:11 AM

I also have a 73 that I have been working on but you are making far more progress than I.

If you'd quit 'Decking' around..

#24 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 08:45 AM

If you'd quit 'Decking' around..

Ha, ha.  For your information, I just finished the last of the large jobs that I have been working on over the course of three years.  Just last week in fact.  I'm back to a normal work day doing normal work.  Quite frankly, I feel as though I am retired.  Now I have three projects facing me and I have to decide which one to tackle first.  Still don't have a lot of time until things with my dad calms down a bit.  While he is healing I've been taking care of his place.  Last Saturday I trimmed all of his hedges, did the weed whacking and sprayed round up (to reduce the weed whacking next time) and cleaned the gutters.  Combine that with mowing my place, spraying Round Up there and tilling the entire garden, I had 12 hours of fun.  I haven't put in a day like that is a long time but at least it's all done.  You know what it's like right now, you gotta do it before it rains again!

• MH81 and Username have said thanks

#25 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 08:58 AM

Ha, ha.  For your information, I just finished the last of the large jobs that I have been working on over the course of three years.  Just last week in fact.  I'm back to a normal work day doing normal work.  Quite frankly, I feel as though I am retired.  Now I have three projects facing me and I have to decide which one to tackle first.  Still don't have a lot of time until things with my dad calms down a bit.  While he is healing I've been taking care of his place.  Last Saturday I trimmed all of his hedges, did the weed whacking and sprayed round up (to reduce the weed whacking next time) and cleaned the gutters.  Combine that with mowing my place, spraying Round Up there and tilling the entire garden, I had 12 hours of fun.  I haven't put in a day like that is a long time but at least it's all done.  You know what it's like right now, you gotta do it before it rains again!

Not a lot of people respect and take care of their parents these days so kudos to you for doing so.

#26 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 09:41 AM

Not a lot of people respect and take care of their parents these days so kudos to you for doing so.

Hey. he's my dad and the only parent either one of us have left.  I can't possibly repay him for all he's done for me but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try.  That's a no-brainer for me.  We're trying to get him to move in with us until he gets strong enough to go home (he turns 91 next month).  He doesn't want to live with us.  Can't say I blame him.  I would leave too if I didn't follow myself out the door.

• MH81, Alc and Username have said thanks

#27 Bigdaddypowerking OFFLINE  

Bigdaddypowerking
  • GTt Junior
  • 21 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 02:59 PM

[quote name="David Brown" post="591282" timestamp="1436951918"]Oh, that makes sense now.  Your should have that black bumper.  I just figured you didn't have it on yet.  Shouldn't be too difficult to find one.[/quote

mine didn't come with a black bumper for some reason, but I kinda like it without the bumper. I've seen others without the bumper, I guess it's up to personal opinion about how it looks and respect for taking care of your dad! I'm doing my tractor while I don't have as much responsibility when I get older and it has still taken me a long while!

#28 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 03:39 PM

[quote name="Bigdaddypowerking" post="591429" timestamp="1436990353"]

[quote name="David Brown" post="591282" timestamp="1436951918"]Oh, that makes sense now. Your should have that black bumper. I just figured you didn't have it on yet. Shouldn't be too difficult to find one.[/quote

mine didn't come with a black bumper for some reason, but I kinda like it without the bumper. I've seen others without the bumper, I guess it's up to personal opinion about how it looks and respect for taking care of your dad! I'm doing my tractor while I don't have as much responsibility when I get older and it has still taken me a long while![/quote]

Truth be told, the bumpers don't do all that much. You really can't hang weights on them (although there are folks who try) and the hood hits long before the bumper arrives on the scene as evidenced by some very crinkled hoods that I've seen. I just think they finish the look.
  • Alc said thank you

#29 Bigdaddypowerking OFFLINE  

Bigdaddypowerking
  • GTt Junior
  • 21 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 05:23 PM

ame="Bigdaddypowerking" post="591429" timestamp="1436990353"]

Truth be told, the bumpers don't do all that much. You really can't hang weights on them (although there are folks who try) and the hood hits long before the bumper arrives on the scene as evidenced by some very crinkled hoods that I've seen. I just think they finish the look.

You're the real expert at these tractors David, do you think that the value of my tractor would increase?I was also thinking about customizing some of my plows by making them black and the color of my tractor but I haven't decided yet

#30 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 07:43 PM

You're the real expert at these tractors David, do you think that the value of my tractor would increase?I was also thinking about customizing some of my plows by making them black and the color of my tractor but I haven't decided yet

Please, I am anything but an expert.  Just an enthusiast that used to own a few of these.  Nobody is an expert at these tractors. You will find, as your journey continues, that the more you learn about these tractors, the more you realize you don't know.  Personally I've forgotten more then I ever learned as I haven't messed with them for a number of years now.

No, I don't think a bumper would make much of a difference in value.  Most people looking at it probably wouldn't even realize it's supposed to have one to be honest.  Unless they know these machines pretty well.  Things that affect value are hydraulics, three point, dual trannys, things like that.

By "some of your plows" are you talking about snow plows or what?  Are they original PK or something else?

• MH81 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: powerking, economytractor, restoration, kohler