39 replies to this topic

#31 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 02:22 PM

Make sure you tell my wife that some of my ideas work!  She thinks everything I say is doomed to fail.

• larrybl and grnspot110 have said thanks

#32 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 02:51 PM

Let me see what I can come up with to try and demonstrate how I do my straps. No need for velcro, knots, clamps or anything else. Biggest thing though is it has to be strap handles that have room to feed the wrapping you make back through it. I will get dad to snap some pics as I am doing one to show how I do it and the end result.

• larrybl, MH81, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#33 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 03:11 PM

I always tie them back on to whatever I am hauling.  I have had a few ratcheting mechanisms give out on trips before and was glad I tied the ends back to the tractor or motorcycle, that way even if something fails it usually still holds the load down enough for me to catch it and restrap.

• MH81, Alc and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#34 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 07:48 PM

I've done it all in the last 45 plus years, but I keep an 18" length of 1", two sided industrial Velcro in my truck, quick, easy and neat, works in any situation. Not the only solution, you guys have a lot of good ones, but mine works for me.

Edited by toppop52, July 14, 2015 - 07:50 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#35 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 07:04 PM

When I worked at the lumber yard I did the tape method from time to time.  Mostly though I would A) Roll the tail and tuck it under the strap and tighten it between the load and the strap or B) Roll it so it could be tucked tightly between the rub rail and the bed.  Never lost one or had them come loose in 7 years of multiple loads per day.

For my personal stuff I use the tape method mostly.  I got away from Duct tape a few years ago though.  It's too darn sticky and annoying to get off the strap.  Instead I now use electrical tape.  A few  wraps around and it holds just as well and it's easier to peel off and cheaper as well.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#36 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 07:27 PM

The left over Velcro I had worked great. I have to stop at Ace Hardware tomorrow to see if I can find some heat resistant material, black hi-temp paint, and see if they have the two sided Velcro straps that can double to hold the straps together when stored.

Thanks for all the tips!

#37 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 06:17 AM

When I worked at the lumber yard I did the tape method from time to time.  Mostly though I would A) Roll the tail and tuck it under the strap and tighten it between the load and the strap or B) Roll it so it could be tucked tightly between the rub rail and the bed.  Never lost one or had them come loose in 7 years of multiple loads per day.

For my personal stuff I use the tape method mostly.  I got away from Duct tape a few years ago though.  It's too darn sticky and annoying to get off the strap.  Instead I now use electrical tape.  A few  wraps around and it holds just as well and it's easier to peel off and cheaper as well.

I mostly use your A method on my loads!

#38 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 06:38 AM

For shorter ends, I bring the end back into the ratchet.

Longer ones I roll up & secure as shown with the tape, clamp, etc, only I use a "ball bungee" around them.

• KennyP said thank you

#39 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 08:08 PM

We took a short video when we loaded some tractors this past weekend to help explain what I do with the loose ends. I will try and get it uploaded here in the next couple of days. Might be a little hectic though with the Dover show this coming weekend.

• MH81 said thank you

#40 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 10:43 PM

I always tie them back on to whatever I am hauling.  I have had a few ratcheting mechanisms give out on trips before and was glad I tied the ends back to the tractor or motorcycle, that way even if something fails it usually still holds the load down enough for me to catch it and restrap.

My method of choice as well.