Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 06:42 PM

As I mentioned in another post, I sold my Kubota B7100 Compact tractor and got a Mahindra Max 25....

But, a couple weeks before that, I sold my Dayton 3Z68B (MTD995) Dayton New Wheels RH.jpg

IMG_20150328_151233_389.jpg

and came across an Ariens GT18 with Power Steering and a Mower Deck... It needed some work, foremost being an airfilter as the owner was running it without one (primarily giving rides to the grandkids on it.)

The hydro whines a little, the Kohler Magnum 18 smokes a little, the seat was trash and the mower drive shaft doesn't have a QD U joint, so it's a pain to install, but, the tires are practically new, and it has Power Steering..... Yessssss!!

$75 got me a new seat; changed the oil in the hydro and engine, sharpened the mower blades, greased the spindles, and she was good to go.

IMG_20150711_124206_334.jpg IMG_20150711_124224_383.jpg

I've used this to mow my lawn, and several neighbor's the past couple months and I love the machine...even the hand speed control isn't as much a problem since I can easily steer it with the other hand...

It doesn't turn as sharp as my Cub Cadet 1862, but it is a lot more machine.  I got a set of lower lift arms and bought some compact lift arm links from Tractor Supply (~11" long--$30 each), and she was good to go.

At some point I'll repower it... I have my choice of a Honda V-twin, a Kohler Command V-twin, a Ruggerini 2 cyl air-cooled diesel, or a Mitsubishi L3E water cooled diesel... we'll see what happens...

Utah Smitty

• rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Curtwood86 OFFLINE  

Curtwood86
  • Member No: 75111
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 09:27 AM

I would love to know how the repower goes (or went). I have a mid 80's GT20 and the engine is just plain TIRED. I did some wheeling and dealing last year and ended up with a brand new Vanguard 18hp still in the box. Obviously cost is not a factor since I already have the new engine. I'm just hoping to get an idea of the headaches /hassles involved in doing the changeout.I've been working on mowers as a hobby for over 20 years. I can weld and fabricate, and I'm a controls technician at work, so these wiring harnesses changes or repairs are no problem. My issue is in figuring out how long it will take. I use my GT year round, and it's like losing a limb every time it breaks down and I have to go without it until I get it fixed.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 11:11 PM

I would love to know how the repower goes (or went). I have a mid 80's GT20 and the engine is just plain TIRED. I did some wheeling and dealing last year and ended up with a brand new Vanguard 18hp still in the box. Obviously cost is not a factor since I already have the new engine. I'm just hoping to get an idea of the headaches /hassles involved in doing the changeout.I've been working on mowers as a hobby for over 20 years. I can weld and fabricate, and I'm a controls technician at work, so these wiring harnesses changes or repairs are no problem. My issue is in figuring out how long it will take. I use my GT year round, and it's like losing a limb every time it breaks down and I have to go without it until I get it fixed.

Funny you should mention it...

I actually have 2 Ariens GTs--a GT19 with a daylight engine block, manual steering and a front rotary sweeper, and the GT20 I mentioned above.

Even though I haven't started to repower it, yet, I was talking with Ryan (Pager 450) about swapping in the Ruggerini 2 cyl diesel I have into the GT19, and putting P/S in at the same time.  I have an orbit motor, steering shaft and wheel, etc. so the p/s part is pretty much ready to go.

I did an earlier post about possibly repowering the GT19 with the Ruggerini, and had several pictures of the engine sitting loosely in the frame, etc.

Ariens actually made a diesel GT--The GT18D, which used another Ruggerini diesel--same size block but different displacement.

There's plenty of room between the top of the engine and the hood, even though the diesel is a twin in-line with vertical cylinders.  The challenge comes with the air blower--which faces the rear of the tractor.  On the GT18D, the dash mount actually is perforated and has filters to keep grass, dirt, etc. out of the engine's cooling fins.  To accomodate the extra length, Ariens stretched the GT18D frame 4 inches.  I'd like to avoid that since it would give it a bigger turning radius, but may have to anyway.

At any rate, Ryan and I will be looking at this more closely in the next couple weeks, though I probably won't start on it until winter sets in...

I'll keep everyone posted...

As for your Ariens and Briggs Vanguard--there is a company (whose name escapes me right now) that sells a repower kit for the Ariens GT using a Vanguard twin.  I have a Kohler CH18, and a Honda 610 V-twin engine, and I've checked both of those in the Ariens.  The Kohler will bolt right up to the mounting, but the engine actually sits offset a little to the right hand side of the frame (as you're sitting in the tractor), and the valve covers interfere with the hood--which would probably require notching it... which I don't want to do...

The Honda's height from the base to the crank centerline is about 1 inch less than the Kohler or the Vanguard... it may work, but you'd have to swap out the driveline with the flex disks, and put in one with U-joints, or space the Honda up to be level to the drive shaft.

I'm not sure about the Vanguard but I suspect a similar situation exists.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, September 09, 2015 - 11:19 PM.

#4 Curtwood86 OFFLINE  

Curtwood86
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:49 PM

I was reading another post that said a place called Jim's Repair has a repower kit that uses the Vanguard. I'll be contacting them in the near future and checking on availability of a kit without the engine.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:40 PM

I was reading another post that said a place called Jim's Repair has a repower kit that uses the Vanguard. I'll be contacting them in the near future and checking on availability of a kit without the engine.

Let us know if that's available without the engine... might save a lot of time.  AND... if you do the repower, be sure to take lots of pics and post your progress here on the forum.

Smitty

#6 Curtwood86 OFFLINE  

Curtwood86
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:19 AM

Will do. Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens gt28, dayton, ariens