• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 07:48 PM

Hi Dodge, I agree with you II won't be converting any of my big tractors to the Pertronix  system too much money and they start and run good, but  the Kohler 18hp OHV engine parts are not easy to find and after the condenser failed and the backfiring and carrying on I was worried about doing unneeded damage so I'm giving this a try.

Hi cevans, that's another thing the new points that are available are not very good many times not the quality they were at one time in the past.

Edited by MNGB, July 13, 2015 - 07:50 PM.

#17 VLeasum OFFLINE  

VLeasum
  • Member No: 72887
  • 24 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 09:13 AM

Sorry to be a tool, but the whole "Nothing beats points" is crazy!

I've put pertronix in an I/O boat and the difference was nothing short of amazing! Especially in a marine environment

I've also put Pertronix in an 8n ford and the difference was also amazing.  Always starts easy.  Nothing to get dirty.

I have an old 1650 cub cadet, and if I keep using it like I'm using it now, I'll be adding a point saver setup soon.

There's nothing worse than monkeying around with Points/condensor when you want to get something done.

The only thing you have to worry about with Pertronix is leaving the igntion on (they have a different version that still protects the system if the ignition if left on, but I didn't buy that one.

Like I wrote earlier, sorry about having an objection to the prevailing thoughts.

• Alc said thank you

#18 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,598 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 11:23 AM

I used to have a '77 Honda Gold Wing. The early GW came with a dual point ignition system that was a total PIA to adjust properly. The answer was an aftermarket electronic ignition which was simple to install and never changed setting.

What does this have to do with a utility engine, you say! I know a lot of folks who have much trouble getting a Kohler K series to time right. With a EI, no more feeler gauges and test lights.

• VLeasum said thank you

#19 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 12:16 PM

Hi all, well I got the PK into the shop and installed the Point saver module and the battery mat. Installing the point saver is simple and easy, remover the condenser, and the wire lead from the points, connect the red wire from the module to the - terminal of the coil(where the points and condenser were) connect the black module lead wire to the points wire and then the green module wire to the engine for a ground, then its to mount the module, I decided to mount it on the side brace of the dash panel the lead wires were just the right length for that, I checked the Ohms of the coil just to be sure and that was good so cranked the engine and it started and ran good. Slipped some vinyl split loom over the module wires and Ty-raped them in place. Started the engine this morning fired up and ran good drove outside and ran it around and it runs good, can't say that it starts or runs any different I sure don't think there's any power gain or fuel savings but it did seem to idle down smoother but here again that is very subjective. I also order one of the Kirk Engines battery mats and I slipped that under the battery so that's in place. 

HPIM2059.JPG HPIM2060.JPG HPIM2061.JPG HPIM2062.JPG HPIM2063.JPG HPIM2065.JPG

• Cvans and Cat385B have said thanks