• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 03:56 PM

Hi all, well I've researched this just about anywhere and everywhere I can, some folks swear that its the best thing since sliced bread others say if you have a good set of points condenser and coil there's no difference, I kind of tend to be in the last group then I think about how electronics have improved every engine they are installed on so last week I ordered the point saver. If I get around to it I'll install it this coming week and will see if I can notice any changes.

I had a condenser go bad on the K361 about a month ago it seems to me that Kohler's tend to use up condenser more than other engine but I have no scientific proof just observation.

• Alc and LilysDad have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 05:53 PM

I believe in the standard points, condensor, coil setup. But just read about the points saver from Kirk engines while I was learning to replace points cover bolts with Allen head bolts so you can reinstall them easily. So if electronics are so good, why didn't they exist when the good engines were being built?
  • Bolens 1000, Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#3 icpik OFFLINE  

icpik

• Member No: 8205
  • 21 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 06:40 PM

When I got my tractor (78 2414) the engine did not run smooth across the entire throttle range.  I put in a Bosch coil, new spark wire, new points, and the points saver.  Also added a tach so I could set low end rpm.  No real change on throttle response.  Therefore I think I have an additional problem.  When I run about 2200-2400 rpm, it will run well for about a minute then the engine will start to die.  If I bump the rpm up to 3000 rpm, the engine picks up and runs well.  I figure it is either fuel pump or carb..  If I get the problem figured out, I think I will like the points saver.

Don Hayes

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#4 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 06:41 PM

Please post with your results. How complicated the installation and results. Easier starting? Better performance? Bang for the buck? Inquiring minds want to know. 

• MNGB said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,702 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 06:44 PM

I may be just old fashioned but you cant compare anything to a well tuned points and condenser ignition system . Heck my 1938 Briggs model A I just picked up fired right up after who knows how many years of sitting!

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 07:01 PM

So if electronics are so good, why didn't they exist when the good engines were being built?

They didn't have electricity back then.

Now, a little more seriously, when did they introduce electronic ignition in cars and why? Same thing.

• MNGB said thank you

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 09:37 PM

that I can remember, Chrysler started with electronic ign. in '72.  Ford and GM were around '75ish.

• MNGB said thank you

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 10:29 PM

Back in the late 60's you could purchase a Mallory transistor ignition for cars but they were not very compact by today's standards.  Up until recently micro electronics were expensive. 

Edited by Cvans, July 13, 2015 - 02:30 PM.

• MNGB said thank you

#9 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 09:46 AM

Hi vw, Tecumseh went to solid state (SSI) in 1967, Kohler had electronic ignition in the 70's (it works good but replacement part are out of this world cost wise) Briggs went to electronic on their engines in the 70's best thing that happened.

The auto industry changed over in the early 70's and that was one of the best things to happen, no more replacing points and condenser every 10000 miles cold weather starting improved drastically, while a properly  maintained points ignition works good an electronic system is better by far.   

Yes I have no doubt that a 38 B&S with points magneto starts and runs good I have some Ford Model T coils that work good they produce a spark that's incredible even thought the wooden cases are going bad.

I'll do a good write up on the install and how it runs, like I posted I don't believe there will be any power increase and probably no noticeable starting difference in warm weather, but getting rid of the condenser will be a plus.

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 05:14 PM

huh.. As much commotion as I see on this site about a stupid condenser, youd think they were a $500.00 part or something/ they are quite cheap and easy to replace. What are you guys afraid of?

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#11 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 05:36 PM

huh.. As much commotion as I see on this site about a stupid condenser, youd think they were a $500.00 part or something/ they are quite cheap and easy to replace. What are you guys afraid of?

Hi dodge, I'm afraid of nothing when it comes to condensers been changing then for 50+ yrs but when there's a better mouse trap why not take advantage, you know the old bag cell phones could be used but who wants to?

Would you change a new pickup engine back to points and condenser?

#12 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 06:19 PM

I'll skip the condenser, but I would like my Motorola bag phone re-activated!

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 06:31 PM

I'll skip the condenser, but I would like my Motorola bag phone re-activated!

Wouldn't you look cute with that over your shoulder? And you could defend yourself from bad men with it.

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 06:45 PM

I'm just about ready to throw in the towel on the points and condenser in my Ford 850. It seems like the darn things are always in need of attention and I'm getting tired of it. They are easy to work on and the tractor is under cover when not used but if the points get the least bit dirty the engine starts acting up.  :mad2:

#15 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Hi dodge, I'm afraid of nothing when it comes to condensers been changing then for 50+ yrs but when there's a better mouse trap why not take advantage, you know the old bag cell phones could be used but who wants to?

Would you change a new pickup engine back to points and condenser?

no but if I had a truck that came with them I dunno how fast I would be to get rid of them....