• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 05:37 PM

Is this the future of these walk behinds. Recently I got a bunch of walk behind stuff from 2 different people for next to nothing. Some was free, basically they couldn't give this stuff away or find anyone wanted them and didn't want to see it all scrapped

Edited by jabelman, July 12, 2015 - 05:38 PM.

• Gtractor and Columbia236 have said thanks

#17 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 05:43 PM

Is this the future of these walk behinds. Recently I got a bunch of walk behind stuff from 2 different people for next to nothing. Some was free, basically they couldn't give this stuff away or find anyone wanted them and didn't want to see it all scrapped

I rarely see any at shows around here. Most people I meet at shows that check out my Bolens walkbehinds I have on display have no idea what they are, most think they are just a "Tiller" Or snowblower (Depending on what attachment I have on there, they have no idea they are actually Garden Tractors with many implements)

I wish more people collected them but I dont think they have the big cool factor like most GT's since alot of the brands didnt have fancy decorative sheet metal just an engine and a frame.

• DougT, Gtractor, Lauber1 and 4 others have said thanks

#18 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,589 Thanks
  • 3,904 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 06:07 PM

Is this the future of these walk behinds?

Its always been that way around here.  Thats part of the reason I have so many walking tractors.  There is a large amish community close to where I live and if they aren't at an auction, the 2-wheelers don't bring $10.  

I'll give another example from this particular auction sale.  There were a few common Briggs engines and they were selling for $50-$60 each. Then they got on the row of antique mowers and a slick old reel mower with Briggs brought $10.  Some of the beautiful Goodall rotary mowers were bringing $10 and the seller jumped in and bought some back. 

Maybe if John Deere had made a walk behind tractor there would be some interest.

• grnspot110, Lauber1, Mike Unwin and 2 others have said thanks

#19 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 07:12 PM

its ok, I don't buy them because I need to flip them right away or have visions of gold in my eyes. I have them because I like them, I like to play with them, I like to use them.  Its even more funny to drive around the small town and have people go, what the heck was that. They don't pay any attention to a riding lawn mower when its on the street.

• Gtractor, Columbia236 and Tbrooks have said thanks

#20 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 09:51 PM

You're right, once in a life time haul.  

It is a shame that the walk behind garden tractors take such a back seat here in the US.  I think it is different overseas.  There you don't see as many 4 wheeled GT.  Two wheeled garden tractors with a cart behind seems to be popular for hauling stuff or running to town for supplies.  Walk behinds don't get much coverage in magazines.  VGTCOA newsletter has more in about two wheelers than any other publication.  

Again, really appreciated the photos and your story at the auction. 

• Gtractor, Lauber1, Columbia236 and 2 others have said thanks

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 06:36 AM

Sounds like a nice day, in spite of the heat.
There must've been a rainbow that ended at that pickup of yours, pot of gold and all... Sounds and looks like a great haul.
  • Gtractor, Columbia236 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#22 Columbia236 ONLINE  

Columbia236
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 23802
  • 294 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 09:09 AM

Congratulations! Some excellent buy`s there I think part of the reason is these auctions are not advertised like tractor or engine actions are ,sometimes if the action is advertised they don`t even mention garden tractors . Years ago I saw a Utilitor sell at auction for around $900. unrestored and non running .I think most collectables have fallen in value over the last several years.

• DougT, Gtractor and Lauber1 have said thanks

#23 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 04:34 PM

Congratulations! Some excellent buy`s there I think part of the reason is these auctions are not advertised like tractor or engine actions are ,sometimes if the action is advertised they don`t even mention garden tractors . Years ago I saw a Utilitor sell at auction for around $900. unrestored and non running .I think most collectables have fallen in value over the last several years.

I think a lot of stuff was overvalued by greedy people over the last few yrs. Lots of others got caught up in it and then got stuck with some over priced toys.

• Gtractor, WHdbJD, Columbia236 and 1 other said thanks

#24 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,589 Thanks
  • 3,904 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 04:39 PM

I'll admitt I gave too much for some early-on,  but at the time I was healthy and energetic.  Got every tractor out every year and ran them some.  made sure the tires weren't sitting flat - things like that. 

Those days are long gone.

UPDATE:

I've seen the Viking Twin on a classified sight.  Claiming it runs good and with the hood/grille installed the price jumped to $450.

Also just this past week I saw the Bolens Built Wizard sitting along the highway at a second hand shop/auction gallery not far from the auctions location.  If its still there next time by and I get lucky enough to have a smaller company truck I'll stop in for a picture and maybe a price.   I'd swear I took a pic of it sale day but didn't have it in the camera when I went to share.

• wvbuzzmaster, Lauber1 and Columbia236 have said thanks

#25 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,470 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 06:30 AM

good collection of  walk machines & unusual to me as well