Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 09:54 PM

As usual in this part of the country there was no respect for walk behinds at todays sale,  well,  except for me dishing out a good size dose.   :angel:

Hauled one pickup load home and got the trailer then went back for the second load.  Too tired to post pics tonight - lets just say it was one of those once in a lifetime deals.  You know there will be pictures, just not until after some shut-eye.   :wave:

For those of you that want a sneak-peak,  here is the sale bill.

http://www.nixonauct...com/Wescott.php

Update: 7-'16

Its been a year and as the auctioneers website link has expired, I found a link that shows a sale bill and has pics of many of the items.   Figured I'd share for all posterity. 

http://www.globalauc...n-s-245996.html

Edited by Gtractor, July 14, 2016 - 09:55 PM.

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, Lauber1 and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 09:58 PM

Looks like you might have made a haul from the looks of the sale bill. 

Congratulations!

• Gtractor, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 10:48 PM

Congratulations. I can't help but think of the PO who collected these. His heirs didn't care about them, you can now give them a good home. It may be worth your time to learn their history. Good Luck, Rick

• Gtractor, Alc, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#4 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 07:52 AM

Liked to have brought home that Aeromotor ,friend of mine has like 5 of them. Cheers Mike

• Gtractor said thank you

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,729 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 08:13 AM

Looks like some nice pieces there. It will be interesting to see what you got.

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 08:38 AM

oh man your so lucky, I was goingto go to that auction, but it was supposed to be big rain storms and I decided to stay home and work on other indoor projects. Don't know what they got there, but we got another 3" of rain during the morning that we really didn't need.

#7 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 08:59 AM

Yeah,  ONLY 53 miles for me.  I was scheduled to have a run to Houghton, IA and Bowen, IL Sat. morning but I had another one of those discussions with the bosses.  I told them it was going to rain up that way and they eventually saw things my way, which is always the right way.    :angel:  

No rain at the auction but it was hotter than Hades by about 10 fold! 

I'm gonna start loading pics......

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 09:35 AM

This auction was so big and it was so hot most people left after the flywheel engines sold.  I thought everything sold high until they hit the garden tractors and then the bottom fell out. 

I guess it was like most any auction,  some things sell high - some sell low. 

I was so wound up last night I only slept 2 hours.  Got a pretty bad sunburn and nearly passed out just after loading my first load and helping others load their treasures.  A gal with the auction company put a Ziploc bag filled with ice on the back of my neck as I was writing the check to pay for the purchases.  I really think she saved me an overnight stay in the local hospital doing that!   I was getting really dizzy and shaking. 

I proposed marriage on the spot.  She was already hitched.  :shoot2:

First garden tractor they sold was the 1919 Utilitor.  Its a beautiful machine as you can see.  Never in a million years did I think I would own such an early and nice piece.   Cart and all sold as one.  Auctioneer was just about to to drop the hammer at $150!  Auctioneer and ringman both had their backs to me so I shouted a very loud YEAH! and was in the game.  When the hammer did drop at $275, it was mine.  That was the first time I started shaking - before the heat got to me so bad later. 

P1010525.JPG

I took out my pen and bidder card to write price and item and was shaking too bad to write. 

Next tractor was a cast iron wheeled McLean with a Maytag engine. Very nice and brought the same or less than the Maytags by themselves that sold earlier.   I don't care for Maytags, although it was a beautiful machine and sold well worth the money. 

Next up was a Standard Walsh.  This one wasn't nearly as nice.  Had a brush-on paintjob decades ago.  Still,  a right decent machine with rim extensions.  Buzz coil ign. that I don't even know how to operate.  Missing the starting crank but otherwise complete.   Has cultivator frame and depth wheels to hold it up but no shovels. 

I bought it for $50!

Standard Walsh.jpg

Next tractor was an unrestored 1948 Wards built by Waterbury.  As I understand this was a one year only deal.  I already have one of those but let mine sit outside with the tires flat and they ruined.  This one had correct decent Wards Riverside knobbies and a later Clinton engine that is not correct.  I just wanted the tires.  It also has one cast iron wheel weight.  $15 and its sitting on my trailer now.  Might slip a pic in here later.

Gonna post this now cause my 'putor likes to lock up and then I'd have to start over. 

STAY TUNED!!  More to come

Edited by Gtractor, July 12, 2015 - 09:59 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, grnspot110 and 9 others have said thanks

#9 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 10:54 AM

Next was a Cunningham sickle mower missing the engine.  I already have one so I wasn't interested in the least.  Auctioneer couldn't get a bid so they lumped it in with the next tractor in line,  an unrestored  Planet Jr. 

Not sure what model this one is.  Briggs BR6 engine,  5X12 tires, three spoke wheels  Brass tag, and it had the dirt shields inside the tires that kinda resemble fenders with a tool tray in between the fenders.  I already have a couple of these so wasn't going to bid.  Tires were really nice original Goodyears and the auctioneer couldn't find any interest.  I had moved down the line so when he found me in the crowd he pointed right at me and ask for $20.  I said yes and no one else bid.  It came with a nice disk and cultivator,  but I already had those too.

Next up an unrestored Bolens Huski.  Hate to sound like a broken record but I have some of these and had no interest.  Older than the Versa Matics, never had a hood or grille.  No reverse and only one speed. Briggs engine with the David Bradley style intake snorkle putting the air filter on top of the engine.  Again,  decent 400X12 old style continuous tread ag lugs.   Had a nice Unisickle on the front and came with a cultivator and some kind of tiller attachment that I never seen before.  Paint looks Bolens-esque and it had a decal at one time that appeared to be Bolens but is not readable.  $10 and the whole pile is on my trailer.  Looking back I should have held out for the pre-war steel wheeled stuff only but with these prices I just couldn't help it.  I had given up lots of overtime pay and stood in the extreme heat for 5 hours waiting on this "stuff", other than when I took a lil nap in the pickup while waiting....  :smilewink:

Next was a beautifully restored Planet Jr. Super Tuffy.  I let someone else have the fun.  Hammer dropped at $40 which is what I paid for my unrestored one several years ago.  This one was a much better deal.  it was flawless.   They also had cast Tuffy wheel weights but they sold much later.  The guy that bought the tractor was hanging around to buy the weights too.  I had never seen Tuffy weights.  VERY kewell and I imagine he got them.  I'll see him at a show in two weeks to see if he got them.

[update one year later,  7-'16]

The guy that bought the Super Tuffy didn't get the wheel weights. He bid them higher than the tractor but someone else really wanted them.  Here's a pic.   http://www.globalauc...viewer/19428209

[Back to original post.]

Next was a little Roto Hoe tiller that was also flawless with a Lauson engine.  I bought it for $17.50 and thought I was buying the tractor that was in line AFTER it.  :(  

Last tractor in the first row was a Bolens built Wizard.  Brush painted up with cultivator, not overly nice.  I let someone else have it for $40 although that was another steal.  Just an early single speed model with no hood or grille. 

First tractor on the second row was my last purchase.  I had pretty much blown through my expendible funds by this time, although it went much farther than I expected.  No idea what it is but its very nice!  The steel wheels said take me home so I did.  $90 

P1010524.JPG

Another rough Bolens with no sheetmetal and I have no idea what it brought.  Wards Riverside knobbies rotted off but it came with a nice 24? inch reel mower that had been orange and likely should have went with the Wizard that sold minutes earlier. 

Now it was a nice Viking Twin with new rubber. 

Viking Twin.jpg

Home-brewed sheetmetal around the cylinder head but it did have the correct hood and grille.  Once again I let someone else have the fun at $150.  It was a 1940 with turning brakes.  Wish my Standard Twin had those brakes!   

After that it was a David Bradley with correct Briggs with snorkle air intake, disk and cultivator.  Amateur rest-O and looked nice.  Didn't catch the price.  Helped that buyer load it.

Last garden tractor was a Hummer? engined steel wheeled machine that apparently I didn't get a pic of.  It had a weird engine with the magneto right on the crankshaft.  power had to come from the flywheel side of the engine.   It was very nicely restored and I let it go to Iowa with the Super Tuffy. 

That was it for garden tractors.

I will put up one more pic.  These two tractors sold as well, not long after the garden tractors sold.  There was little to no interest even though they were nice machines.  Both tractors ran. 

The Case L brought $325.  The McCormick Deering 22-36 brought $250.  There is a thread about it over on Stak for those of you that are members.

P1010527.JPG

A Ford jubilee that had engine issues but was a good looking tractor sold next for $250 if I remember right.  If it'd been a 5 speed model with live PTO I'd been all over it. 

Edited by Gtractor, July 14, 2016 - 10:01 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, grnspot110 and 7 others have said thanks

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,729 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 11:34 AM

Kris, on one of the pictures on the auction site there was a steel wheeled tractor with a Hummer engine. It was the one that had an external mag on the opposite side of the flywheel. Do you remember what it brought or get any pictures?

#11 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,642 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 12:08 PM

Sounds like you acquired some nice pieces! You should've boughten all the bolens and wizard tractors. I know of some people that wouldve been willing to buy them off you! lol

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 12:21 PM

Nice haul and purchases!

Lets see some Bolens pics!!!!! :D e

#13 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 01:11 PM

Kris, on one of the pictures on the auction site there was a steel wheeled tractor with a Hummer engine. It was the one that had an external mag on the opposite side of the flywheel. Do you remember what it brought or get any pictures?

Didn't get a pic of that one although I know it brought $60.  Dirt cheap for sure.  it went to Centerville, IA

Here is a pic.  Not the best but ~~~~

http://www.globalauc...viewer/19428252

Edited by Gtractor, July 14, 2016 - 10:09 PM.

• DougT said thank you

#14 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 04:27 PM

Here are the other purchases....

Just for Doc.  The Bolens

Bolenz.jpg

The Waterbury.  What flavor is the [lone] wheel weight?

Waterbury.jpg

The Planet Jr.  This one could be cleaned up and preserved without a rest-O. 

P J.jpg

Planet Jr "rotary cultivator" for the tractor above

tiller.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, October 04, 2016 - 01:10 AM.

• Bolens 1000, grnspot110, jtrojek and 5 others have said thanks

#15 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 04:40 PM

man you did steal them. Now im kicking my self for not going, but then again I don't know where I would put another load of tractors. Glad they went to a collector, as at that low prices they could have ended up in the scrap mans truck.

• DougT, Gtractor and holdenboy1960 have said thanks