Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Quick Manufacturing 62ab 4hp Tecumseh pulling power?

pulling torque small tractor pull springfield quick manufacturing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 StevetotheH OFFLINE  

StevetotheH
  • Member No: 72982
  • 22 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 09:33 PM

I will start by saying I don't know anything about small lawn tractors from the 60's . I am wondering if this tractor with a 4hp motor and 3-speed Trans will have enough low end to move cars around my shop. If not, what size pulleys would I need to get it geared down low enough. I am tired of pushing cars. I know it would make more sense to use an electric golf cart, but I don't have an electric golf cart. Anyone with Springfield or other named small tractors please chime in, let me know your pulling abilities. I imagine more info is needed, but kinda thinking out loud here.

#2 StevetotheH OFFLINE  

StevetotheH
  • 22 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 09:34 PM

Let me add that the size of this tractor just seems perfect for the space I have.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 09:40 PM

The simple answer is no. Even the biggest Springfield made by Quick Manufactuing was 400 pounds and it would not pull an 800 pound garden tractor. Buy a bigger tractor, you wont have enough traction, and if you weigh it down until you do, it will break.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and StevetotheH have said thanks

#4 StevetotheH OFFLINE  

StevetotheH
  • 22 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 09:48 PM

Bigger tractors won't do, I have a small two bay shop. I would have trouble getting a golf cart in with a car behind it. Guess I'll just keep pushing or drop a bolt in the floor and winch the cars in. Thanks for your input.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 10:36 PM

Bigger tractors won't do, I have a small two bay shop. I would have trouble getting a golf cart in with a car behind it. Guess I'll just keep pushing or drop a bolt in the floor and winch the cars in. Thanks for your input.

What about a bigger tractor with a tow bar that allows you to push the cars in? Put the hitch on the front of the tractor so you can be more comfortable. I just picked up an old Bolens 850 and I know she can move cars. Save your back and you will find much more that a good GT will be able to help you with. The little lawn tractors are only made to mow lawns. They break pretty easy. It is the same with everything: use the right tool. Good Luck, Rick

• HANKG and StevetotheH have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 05:31 AM

Don't give in that easy lol we are a creative bunch here at GTT ! I've seen a machine at the toll bridge that has 2 wheels and a handle that kind of reminds me of a floor jack . They have that there so if a car breaks down in line they can move it off to the side quickly . I'll try to do a search , maybe you or others can come up with something similer
  • StevetotheH said thank you

#7 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 04:03 PM

I agree that it will be less about power and more about weight and traction.  I think basically any tractor could pull any car though, may need a few mods and weights added.  

Sometimes this is not successful....  

Sometimes it is....  

• StevetotheH said thank you

#8 StevetotheH OFFLINE  

StevetotheH
  • 22 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 06:40 PM

Well after getting my transaxle unbound, 1st seems like a pretty low gear. I'd say somewhere around 15:1. Looks like my pulleys are roughly 1:1 on the drive belt.

So let's look at some hypothetical numbers for fun.

15:1 reduction
With an input of ~50 in/lbs of torque (beastly)
Equates to 750 in/lbs or ~60 ft/lbs minus whatever is lost to friction and all that other "stuff".

An athlete can produce roughly 1.4hp or 2kW in burst. Where the lever in the equation comes in to get torque, I have no idea.

It typically takes 2 people to push a car into the shop. My wife and my son, I love them, but neither would I consider an athlete.

After all the above hypotheticals, if my tractor was wearing two sets of running shoes on her feet, I think she would have a shot.

That first video looked like they were trying to pull start that Honda, with it in gear and on four flat tires. It didn't look like that Murray had enough juice to make the cable taught. That was a non starter!

All I need is some back tires and a drive belt, picking those up tomorrow and she will be running under her own power again. First time in ~30 years, and I am excited! I think we have an official debate going now, keep the replies coming. Please and thank you.
  • middleageddeere said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pulling, torque, small tractor pull, springfield, quick manufacturing