4 replies to this topic

#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 01:52 PM

Not exactly sure what the true name of them are, but I think you all know what I'm referring to. Anyway, I'm thinking of buying one of these and mounting it in one of the high corners of my garage, so that it will take pictures while I'm working on a tractor. It would free up my hands from holding a camera while trying to wrench on a part, plus I wouldn't have to have another family member following me around snapping pictures for me and getting in my way. So here are some questions that I have, hoping you guys will be able to answer for me:

1. Are they solar powered, or can I plug them into an electrical outlet?

2. Are they adjustable as far as time settings, or do they automatically snap pictures every time there is a movement?

3. Can the pictures be downloaded to a computer, like you can with a camera?

4. Do they take just individual pictures, or can you set them up to shoot video as well. If video compatible, how long of a video time?

5. I haven't checked anything out yet, so is there any brands that are better than others?

6. Any ballpark figures on a cost of a good unit?

7. Are the pictures in black and white, or is color pictures available?

Again, this is just an idea that I'm kicking around. Nothing solid as of yet. If you guys have any cons on the idea, I'd like to hear them as well, so don't be afraid to voice your opinions. 

Thanks for the help! 

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,515 Thanks
  • 7,378 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 02:01 PM

All good questions and all depend on the particular camera you are using. Good Luck, Rick
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,319 Thanks
  • 3,740 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 08:45 PM

I am thinking they are battery operated, Troy. A local gun shop should have a few to check them out.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,978 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 08:59 PM

The ones that take superb pictures are a bit more pricey.

Read about the flashes for night pictures. A few different options.

My buddy has 3 of them. Day time you can count the hairs on the animal. Night time it's more color washed almost black and white but you can still see great detail.

The cheaper ones awhile not taking ultra detailed pictures still work well enough to monitor deer traffic and sizes.

Night time is where the cheaper units and more expensive units differ the most.

Most take an SD card like a camera. Most operate on batteries.

Read read and read. Like anything research on the interest can help you.

I'd say 100 to 200 would get you a decent unit. Another guy I know has one that operates on cell signal and will text him pictures from the camera at whatever amount he sets. It's pretty cool. He was over at the camp one night and his phone goes off and he hands his phone around telling us this buck just triggered his trail cam 150 miles away on his parents farm.
  • MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#5 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 07:25 AM

Have you considered a GoPro? They're small cameras designed for people who want to catch pictures/video while doing extreme sports like skydiving, jet skiing, and replacing regulators on 1970s garden tractors. The nice thing about them is that there are a ton of ways and accessories to mount them both to objects and to yourself. Just another option to consider! Good luck.

Edited by kellerman88, July 14, 2015 - 08:52 AM.

• MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks