Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 11:34 PM

Though my Kubota B7100 was a good machine overall, it was getting harder to get my leg over the center hump--especially when my knee was acting up, AND, the lack of power steering made it a workout to use the loader.

B7100 LH.jpg B7100 Scoopin 3.jpg

I put and the backhoe up for sale this spring, thinking I could move it fairly quickly.

Got a lot of tire kickers, and a couple guys that low-balled me after I took off from work to meet them and let them try out the tractor, but no one really serious...

After 3 months, I finally decided I'd put power steering on it myself, and pulled the main ad, and just had a blurb about it in another ad with a bunch of other things I was selling.

Lo and behold,  a guy calls me 2 days later and wants to see it... I was skeptical, but we set a time and he came out... Drove it a little, and gave me my asking price, no questions asked!!!  (I had to pull my jaw off my chest, lol)

Kubota B7100 Sold & Loaded 20150605_125319_535.jpg

So, I started looking in earnest for another compact tractor... aside from the usual requirements for FEL, 4 wd, diesel, hydro tranny, it HAD to have power steering, and a flat operator's platform.  I also wanted decent ground clearance--- the Kubota BX- series and similar machines were a little too low to the ground for me...and finally, I figured a little more power than the 'bota's 16 HP would be nice.

I started looking for something--called all the local dealers--Kubota, John Deere, New Holland, Yanmar, M-F, Mahindra, etc., but nothing available.  Several tried to talk me into a bigger machine--35 or more hp, but I didn't want anything that big.

I finally called a guy that sells Mahindras up in Logan, UT, about 70 mile from me--he just happened to have a couple of Mahindra Max tractors.  The Max series is actually made by Mitsubishi--I'd driven one a year ago before I bought the Kubota, and really liked them.

I also drove the Mahindra e-Max, which is made in Korea by TYM--didn't like it as well... the operator's position wasn't as comfortable for me, though I did like the side by side travel pedals...

Anyway--I had a choice between a new Max 22, and a repossessed Max 25 with 8 hours and 3 years of the 5 year warranty remaining.  The tractors are identical, other than the Max 25 has the fuel tweaked to get a little more power.

I ended up taking the Max 25. I took Betsy and a trailer up the following week, along with a check for a little north of $13,000 and she was mine.

Mahindra Max 25 Pickup from Dealer 20150606_144813_122.jpg

On the way home, I stopped by mom's to show her my new toy... not being one to pass up an opportunity, mom asked if I could use the tractor to bury a length of culvert she was using to bring irrigation water to her field...

So, the Max 25 got it's first good workout.  Boy, do I love this tractor!!!  The PS works great, it has plenty of power for what I need, and almost twice the bucket lift capacity of the Kubota. 

IMG_20150606_165644_304.jpg IMG_20150606_165905_929.jpg

We worked her even harder at my son's house--digging out a lawn at the side of the house so he can lay gravel in for an RV pad. Soon as I can figure out how to load videos, I'll put a couple in the post.

The only thing I don't care for is the industrial tires... the area around the pipe was muddy, and the tires became slicks very quickly.  Does anyone know a good source for wheels and Ag tires for this machine?  It takes a 6-12 front and a 9-16 rear for ag tires....

At any rate, now I have a tractor that's pretty much what I've been wanting for more years than I care to recall....

Smitty

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, MH81 and 8 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 12:13 AM

I see you gave up the backhoe? Any reason why, seems to me the backhoe is just as handy as the loader.
Great to see you enjoying your new tractor.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 12:33 AM

Enjoy your new treactor, Smitty  :thumbs:

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 12:35 AM

I see you gave up the backhoe? Any reason why, seems to me the backhoe is just as handy as the loader.
Great to see you enjoying your new tractor.

I found I had little use for the backhoe... it was a bit of a pain to put on or take off as well....

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, July 12, 2015 - 06:45 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 05:44 AM

Really cool tractor, it looks very capable and comfortable. Glad you got something that fits you and makes you happy.

Are the rears loaded?
I would get some weight back there in some form, let me explain.
On a 4wd system, it has always been my understanding the rears are still designed to be the main "power to the ground" conduit and the fronts are to assist and help keep you about of trouble.
Without the weight of the backhoe, your assist wheels are becoming your main drive. This is a negative in my view not only from a traction point, but from a longevity point as well.

As for ags, make sure the tires are the right sizing. If you have the fronts and rears enough out of range, there will be a whole lot of strain, not to mention lurching, going on.
  • Alc, KennyP and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#6 jerseyeyes ONLINE  

jerseyeyes
  • Member No: 9906
  • 198 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 06:43 AM

I bought a Max 22 a year and a half ago and love it!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2514.JPG

• Alc and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 08:30 AM

Really cool tractor, it looks very capable and comfortable. Glad you got something that fits you and makes you happy.

Are the rears loaded?
I would get some weight back there in some form, let me explain.
On a 4wd system, it has always been my understanding the rears are still designed to be the main "power to the ground" conduit and the fronts are to assist and help keep you about of trouble.
Without the weight of the backhoe, your assist wheels are becoming your main drive. This is a negative in my view not only from a traction point, but from a longevity point as well.

As for ags, make sure the tires are the right sizing. If you have the fronts and rears enough out of range, there will be a whole lot of strain, not to mention lurching, going on.

That`s good advice--the 4wd is seiectable, so I only use it when needed and then switch it back to 2wd.  ag tires are available for them, but you have to get a different wheel diameter as well.  I haven`t priced them at a dealer--I`m afraid of the sticker shock.

i`ll ballast them after I get ag tires on it.  i need to make a weight box as well.

Smitty

• MH81 said thank you

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 08:33 AM

I bought a Max 22 a year and a half ago and love it!

Where do you buy maintenance items?  Dealer prices are scary...

Smitty

#9 jerseyeyes ONLINE  

jerseyeyes
  • Member No: 9906
  • 198 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 11:51 AM

Where do you buy maintenance items?  Dealer prices are scary...

Smitty

Because i bought it new I've used the dealer and they have treated me really good.It quit on me last winter during one of our many storms and they came and picked it up,brought me a brand new machine to use(Max25 w/1 hr on it)repaired mine and returned it all at NO CHARGE! I can't say enough good about my dealer!

• Alc said thank you

#10 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 122 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 02:29 PM

I get all of my tires at Morrow Tire.  1-660-831-0200.  They have good prices along with good shipping prices. They are a Missouri company. 

#11 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 854 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 02:18 AM

Nice!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kubota, b7100, backhoe, front end loader, mahindra, max 25