#16 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 11:23 PM

I try to keep my garden as organic as possible. thats only partially possible with large cornfields on both sides of me.
Colorado Potato Beetle and grasshoppers are real bad out here. I have to make a concession and use some Sevin on my potatoes.

We also grow as organic as possible, we have corn on the beans on the south side of our property. Right when all of our plants were just taking off and looking good, the idiot went and sprayed round up when there was a 20mph south wind :mad2:. It killed a couple plants, left spots on everything else. It also knocked every leaf off of our apricot tree and they still haven't come back (been a month and a half ago). We are guessing it's dead? or just really set back. The tree has been out there for close to 20 years and never got sprayed before.

We to spray seven once in a while, It seems like you half to spray seven or let the bugs eat everything. I just think of all the sprays that's on the food in the stores, seven probably isn't that bad compared to what they use.

• propane1 said thank you

#17 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 03:03 AM

I spray only organic safe sprays now, sevin is about useless, Neem oil and Spinosad for tater bugs , and Montgomery's caterpillar killer with BT for the rest, corn included. Stuff can be used up day of harvest.

#18 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 05:52 AM

Wife decided "we" should do potatoe boxes. Over the course of 3 weeks we added the numerous layers of earth.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 07:51 AM

Wife decided "we" should do potatoe boxes. Over the course of 3 weeks we added the numerous layers of earth.

Those are nice! They are a good way to go especially in a small garden.
One does not have to go big like I have to have a very productive garden. In fact I dare say it can be better kept.
The reason I have 7,000 sq. ft. in garden is if I dont it has to be mowed along with the rest of the 9 acres.
And I do it so I can do more from the seat of my Ford.

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 07:57 AM

We also grow as organic as possible, we have corn on the beans on the south side of our property. Right when all of our plants were just taking off and looking good, the idiot went and sprayed round up when there was a 20mph south wind :mad2:. It killed a couple plants, left spots on everything else. It also knocked every leaf off of our apricot tree and they still haven't come back (been a month and a half ago). We are guessing it's dead? or just really set back. The tree has been out there for close to 20 years and never got sprayed before.
We to spray seven once in a while, It seems like you half to spray seven or let the bugs eat everything. I just think of all the sprays that's on the food in the stores, seven probably isn't that bad compared to what they use.

Boy I hope your apricot tree comes back. Apricot is one of my favorite fruits. I once had an apple tree get bit hard from spray drift.
Applicators insurance paid for it. The next year I got the best crop ever off that tree.
4 yrs ago i planted 3 Manchurian Apricot and have yet to see any fruit.

#21 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 05:18 PM

JD DANNELS, you plant a lot of potatoes. I love growing them, but the potatoe bug is hard to control. Some times takes the fun out of it.  How many lb's do you figure you would get out of planting 40 lb's.  Just wondering, I figured about 100 lb's per 10 lb's planted. Just a guess.  Noel

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 06:49 PM

JD DANNELS, you plant a lot of potatoes. I love growing them, but the potatoe bug is hard to control. Some times takes the fun out of it.  How many lb's do you figure you would get out of planting 40 lb's.  Just wondering, I figured about 100 lb's per 10 lb's planted. Just a guess.  Noel

It can vary quite a bit, I figure an average of 5-6 lbs per hill. There will be some well over that and some less.

#23 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 09:38 PM

JD DANNELS, you plant a lot of potatoes. I love growing them, but the potatoe bug is hard to control. Some times takes the fun out of it. How many lb's do you figure you would get out of planting 40 lb's. Just wondering, I figured about 100 lb's per 10 lb's planted. Just a guess. Noel

Years ago, when my father-in-law was still living we would plant 10 rows of Kennebeck (thats 100 lbs of seed cut with at least two good eyes per chunk) AND 60 HILLS TO A ROW.
Thats 600 hills and on average would produce 3500 lbs of potatoes.
3500 divided by 600 equals 5.833 pounds per hill.

I enjoy growing them, they are such a pretty plant. If I had the storage space I would probably grow that many again.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 17, 2015 - 09:41 PM.