• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 10:26 AM

My three potato gardens. Coming nicely. Buds on most, some are flowering. Only been in since end of May. Four pictures, only three gardens, oops.

Also testing pictures again to see if they are right side up.

If this works out , I will be able to post on the spot I am at, instead of having to go home and load them on the computer, then posting. Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• hamman, KennyP, tinbender7 and 9 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 11:39 AM

Looking nice, where are the weeds?

The pics are right too.
  • tinbender7 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 11:53 AM

I've got all the weeds!

• MH81, KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#4 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,447 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 01:02 PM

I'll never smoke weed with Willi again - better eat some potatoes w/ Noel  :rolling: Great garden!

• KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 05:05 PM

You take hilling them seriously, don't you? It's a lot of work, but I sure don't like a green tinge on my spuds, so I hill them high as well. What varieties do you grow?
  • propane1 said thank you

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 08:38 PM

I am growing Irish cobblers, russet, Yukon gold and some I got from a farmer and I don't know the type, but very resistant to the potatoe bug. These potatoes are left over from last years crop. So they are all mixed in together. Thats the surprise row, you won't know what the potatoe is until you dig it up. This year I bought Yukon gem, because they don't have Yukon gold at this place any more, so I am not sure weather I like that yet or not, and russets. I am not a fan of green potatoes either. Noel
  • Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 08:45 PM

I was told by a commercial potatoe grower this year to put wood ashes on the potatoes to control the potatoe bug. We will see what happens. Had a few bugs already. Seems early for them. They can destroy a crop in a few days if they are many. Have to look every day to see if they are in the plants. Noel
  • Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 10:43 PM

No bugs here yet, but I check daily. I have grown Irish Cobbler, very tasty, and Gems/russets of course, To me they are still the best bakers. My favourite red is Sangre, and favourite purple /blue is Purple Viking. So many spuds, so little time, lol.

• Alc, tractorgarden and propane1 have said thanks

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 02:27 AM

We only raise about 50 Sweet Potato plants every year.  For what we can buy our daily potatoes for it isn't worth the space, work and trouble to try and raise our own.  The hilling is a great idea that works real well.  We use it for the Sweet Potatoes and all our vine type crops.  I put in one row of sweet corn this year and that was a bust.  Will buy what we want locally from local growers.  Always several of them around.  Looks like you have a nice crop of rocks going already.  Good looking potato patches.

#10 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 05:15 AM

With potato bugs, them nasty pests are hard as all getup to control, if you notice them it is usually too late... You must be totally pro active with them. And from what I have seen, the organic sprays and oils seem to be the most effective..
I have Yukon gold at my home garden and not an insect to be seen, but just 3 miles away,at my huge garden, the monsters are a real issue and this danged rain every other day is messing up control of these pests ... Starting to get $$$$$$ buying the cure for them.
I think next year I will surround the taters with crthanthymums ,these are great for pest control,as are marigolds.

Edited by skyrydr2, July 10, 2015 - 05:19 AM.

• oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#11 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,447 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 11:43 AM

hi Noel, and don't forget to show us the pancakes, made of the potatoes  :smilewink:

#12 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 06:58 AM

Those look great!

I make hills (as tall as I can with the middle buster) and drop the potatoes on top spaced 2 feet apart. I put just a very light layer of dirt over them and then I cover them with heavy straw. No weeding or hilling is needed for the whole season, since the potatoes are on hills the water drains out and the straw keeps them damp for when it dries up.

• Alc, KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#13 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted July 11, 2015 - 02:03 PM

Those look great!

I make hills (as tall as I can with the middle buster) and drop the potatoes on top spaced 2 feet apart. I put just a very light layer of dirt over them and then I cover them with heavy straw. No weeding or hilling is needed for the whole season, since the potatoes are on hills the water drains out and the straw keeps them damp for when it dries up.

That's an interesting idea, I'll try doing some that way next year, thanks.

• BTS said thank you

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 10:53 PM

Those look great!

I plant my potatoes about 4 inches below ground level in furrows made with the middlebuster.
i bought two hilling discs 14 inch from agri-supply and my dad made me a 3 point toolbar to mount them on.
i make one pass through each row then once more just as the plants are almost too tall to clear under the tractor.
last week i dug 6 hills with a fork to see how they were doing and got 28 potatoes, most were bigger than my hand.
I planted 5 lbs Norland, 5 lbs Lasota(those are reds,) 10 lbs YUk0n gold, 10 lbs russets. 10 lbs kennebeck.
i will dig the 3- 70 ft rows with the middlebuster. i love growing potatoes, but hate digging them in the hot august sun with a fork.
I would like to build a 1 row planter,so I can do all the potatoes from the seat of my tractor.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 16, 2015 - 10:54 PM.

• BTS and propane1 have said thanks

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 11:00 PM

With potato bugs, them nasty pests are hard as all getup to control, if you notice them it is usually too late... You must be totally pro active with them. And from what I have seen, the organic sprays and oils seem to be the most effective..
I have Yukon gold at my home garden and not an insect to be seen, but just 3 miles away,at my huge garden, the monsters are a real issue and this danged rain every other day is messing up control of these pests ... Starting to get $$$$$$ buying the cure for them.
I think next year I will surround the taters with crthanthymums ,these are great for pest control,as are marigolds.

I try to keep my garden as organic as possible. thats only partially possible with large cornfields on both sides of me.
Colorado Potato Beetle and grasshoppers are real bad out here. I have to make a concession and use some Sevin on my potatoes.
  • BTS and propane1 have said thanks