#1 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 09:25 PM

Hi everyone,

I was flipping through craigslist today searching for a mower deck for the Allis Big Ten my wife's grandpa is giving my son and I. Well I stumbled across a 1964 Simplicity 10hp tractor with mower deck and plow blade. The add stated it had new belts, new battery, new oil, fresh tune up, sharpened blades, and it runs and mows nice. It appears to be in fairly decent shape from the looks of the pictures. I contacted the seller and he said it runs great, he just mowed and rolled his 1 acre lawn with it monday. He stated he's had it awhile and its always been a great tractor. Well, I made him an offer sight unseen, and he excepted it. I stated my offer was based on his desription, and if he described it properly, i'd pay him and load it up saturday morning. He agreed to hold onto it for me! Soooo, thats #2 in just a few weeks :dancingbanana: . My wife is going to kill me! LOL! I just backed off on buying Bolens garden tractors because my collection is pretty large, and now I'm starting to buy into another brand. I need help!!! :D

• Bolens 1000, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 09:34 PM

I did that with Springfield tractors, quit buying them when I ran out of room, and bought two Cub Cadets lol.
  • Alc said thank you

#3 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 09:38 PM

Yea, I had cubs too. I sold them to stay with Bolens only! LOL! Now I'm starting with Allis/Simplicity. Will the attachments interchange between these 2 machines??

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#4 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 09:41 PM

I am willing to bet if she hasn't killed you yet Fonz she probably won't this time either. But I could be wrong.

Edited by Coventry Plumber, July 09, 2015 - 06:02 AM.

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 09:42 PM

Just make sure it's the same colour as the others that you have and she may never know. Noel.
  • Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 10:14 PM

The ACs and Simplicitys of the 60s were made by Simplicity and attachments will fit both. They are the same tractors except for seats, hoods, paint, and grills. Learn more about them at  www.simpletractors.com  . You can download the manuals from our Manuals Section.

I have 9 Bolens and about the same AC/Simplicty tractors. The Bolens are heavier and more powerful. The Simplicities handle nicer and do a better mowing job. They both have a huge list of available attachments. They were also both very popular. You will love them.

One warning, if the plow doesn't have spring trip be very carefull. You can crack the frame at the bevel gear box(BGB) if you hit something hard with the plow. Atleast three of my frames are welded because of it. Before going to see the tractor look at the 3 videos by ZippoVarga on youtube where he shows how to assess the condition of old Simplicity tractors. Good Luck, Rick

Make the Simplicity your wifes' tractor so that she can go riding with her son.

Edited by boyscout862, July 08, 2015 - 10:16 PM.

• Alc, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 10:44 PM

I'm starting to buy into another brand. I need help a bigger garage!!! :D

Fixed it for you.
:poke:
  • fonz3482 said thank you

#8 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 11:00 PM

Fixed it for you.
:poke:

I already started that. Almost done putting up a 24'x36' pole barn! I'm sure the space will disappear fast!

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 Sdhdcouple OFFLINE  

Sdhdcouple
  • Member No: 44143
  • 143 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 05:22 AM

bring the big trailer to South Dakota and you can go home with 15 tractors a ton of attachments and bunch of parts. I am getting ready to sell it all. even the on in the profile pic
  • fonz3482 said thank you

#10 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,906 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 08:25 AM

Here's mine on fire wood  duty IMG_0877.JPG

• fonz3482, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 11:38 AM

bring the big trailer to South Dakota and you can go home with 15 tractors a ton of attachments and bunch of parts. I am getting ready to sell it all. even the on in the profile pic

why are you selling out?? The tractor in the picture is an awesome looking machine! But I can't start buying up everything just yet! LOL! I have to back off for a little while to let the secret tractor stash rebuild. I watched those 3 videos, I hope the gear box isn't loose on this machine! Anyone have experience with rebuilding them, and the cost?? I'm gonna ask the owner what he use the tractor for mostly and see what he says.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#12 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 03:53 PM

I spoke to the owner to get some background on the machine, here is what he said:

I have about 3 acres we mow. My wife uses my other tractor, I use this one. In the winter I plow off our pond with it. It doesn't burn any oil. The battery charges, doesn't leak. Sometimes you need to adjust the carb jet a little. Brakes and lights work. Cuts even. It's 51 years old, so it could use tinkering here and there, but it's worth what I'm asking. If you are having second thoughts, just let me know and I'll relist it.

I told him I wasn't having 2nd thoughts, just wanted to hear more about the background on the machine, and how it's been used over the years. He also added:

-I forgot to mention it has 2 brand new front tires on it. Had them put on a month ago. Seat is a little loose, needs to be tightened, but it never bothered me much. I use it around the yard almost daily in the summer. I don't want to get rid of it, but have to thin a few things out.

So it seems like a decent machine. Hoping it turns out that way!

Edited by fonz3482, July 09, 2015 - 03:56 PM.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 04:13 PM

The quickest way to tell how much slop there is in the drivetrain,is to put the tractor in gear with the parking brake and engine off, and roll the tractor back and forth. Even if there is very little play in the BGB, there could be worn keys, key way slots, and bushings in the transaxle.

#14 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 06:48 AM

Well everyone, I didn't come home with the tractor. The mower deck was all patched up and welded all over. There where a few small holes in the side of the deck with grass poking through too.  The rear rollers on the deck were hitting the rear tires in the up position so I'm guessing something wasn't right there, or bent.  There was play in the gear box, the rear tires were dry rotted bad, the motor had been running without an air cleaner for some time and the carb was damp with fuel. The plow was homemade, not original, and had holes through it also. For $250 I walked away from it because the owner stated it was worth more than that all day long and he already has it sold if I didn't take it! Well a few hours later it popped back up on craigslist. LOL! Real Bummer for me, I was excited to mow my grass with a nice old tractor. But I figured If i bought that thing i'd have a ton of money and time into it to make it a nice tractor, and i'd still have no mower deck because the one on it was scrap. Oh well, I pick up my Allis Chalmers Big Ten this weekend! Hopefully that goes much better!

• VintageIronCollector said thank you