• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sap2015 OFFLINE  

sap2015
  • Member No: 72905
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 07:50 PM

I've got a john deere 320 that is having a problem getting hot....if its cooler temperatures around 50-60 degrees it takes much longer for temp light to come on, if it's around 75-80 degrees it gets hot after about an hour of mowing. If I turn it off as soon as temp light comes on for about 25 minutes I can mow another hour and finish the yard and it's fine. The Kawasaki fd590v motor has a fresh rebuild that I personally did. has brand new water pump. I'm in the process of putting it back together right now(new thermostat). had to pull it apart because I sheared the drive belt so I changed thermostat too. Radiator seems to flow fine. any input would be great.

• Traill95 and TrevoNiz have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 09:59 PM

Welcome to GTT. The light coming on is a bad thing. Check the timing. Clean the outside of the radiator, use a water hose and make sure the fins are straight and clean. See if the coolant is flowing through the radiator by taking of the radiator cap, starting the engine and watching. When the thermostat opens you should see the coolant moving. If it doesn't, suspect the thermostat. Take it out and test it in a pot of water with a thermometer. Heat it until the thermostat fully opens and check the temp. If it is alright, I would suspect the waterpump(new defective) or a constriction in the water hoses or jacket. An incorrect head gasket can block coolant passages.

I gave this in the order that I would troubleshoot. You've done some of it already. It most likely is the radiator. Is the trany clean? Good Luck, Rick

#3 sap2015 OFFLINE  

sap2015
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 10:37 PM

Timing is set perfect. I know this for a fact. I did clean the radiator since I've had it off, there was a little bit of blockage in the fins, nothing major at all though. Not saying the water pump isn't defective but it is a oem Kawasaki pump. And for the constriction in water hoses, that's not the cause, brand new hoses as well. and the jackets on everything were cleaned. everything flowed very well. I did put the old thermostat in a pot of water tonight, but I didn't have a temp gauge. nothing seemed abnormal but it's hard to tell when not having a temp gauge. And as for the transmission, yes its very clean.

Edited by sap2015, July 08, 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#4 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,990 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 11:46 PM

welcome to gtt! interesting problem, but I've no other solution then the things you've described.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 07:04 AM

You didn't mention if it ever boiled over or anything like that, so it may be a defective sender unit.  Had that happen on one of our large Massey 2745 V8 tractors this year.  Replaced the sender & all read normal again.

#6 sap2015 OFFLINE  

sap2015
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 10:38 AM

yes it did boil over....was gurgling and all that good stuff, that's how I know it wasn't sending unit lol.

• olcowhand said thank you

#7 sap2015 OFFLINE  

sap2015
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 12:34 PM

Ok guys, I still had some coolant in the system without radiator on, on the main radiator hose, and honestly I didn't know which way the water system flowed, so I turned the mower over, and the pump is pushing coolant just fine, so the only thing I'm left to believe is, that its the radiator

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 03:06 PM

Was it over-heating before rebuild?

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 03:49 PM

Does this tractor have a mechanically driven, or electric radiator cooling fan?