#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 05:26 PM

shopping spree today. No not for Gts or parts but, for food and such. It was a very interesting trip today to say the least. Eye opening if I were to be honest. As we arrived at our local Meijer store, well 30 miles away if you call that local, I was aware of several things, 1) My wallet was going to be significantly lighter after shopping. B.) I was convinced that yes it was the first part of the month because most of the patrons were " My Age" ..... Now they say age is irrelevant but sometimes I see it different. Old age was in true form today as we shopped. Stopping in the middle of the isle to talk to another person who was obviously there to shop or just maybe kill some time. Hovering around the first fruit stand in the veggie and fruit area just to talk about how bad she felt and and how she was not sure what she wanted to buy now but knew it when she was at home. Another person my age was looking at a list and trying to figure out his wife's writing and if it said burger or butter ? yet another was carrying 10 or 12 items and pushing a cart that had about 3 item in it and was worried if she put the items in the cart it would be to heavy for her to push. As I stood there, I was waiting for the wife to get back from the truck we had just left because she forgot her list, I thought to my self, I really like getting out of the house and shopping and every once in a while I actually like doing it. Today wasn't that day. I was then nudged and asked to move because I was standing with the cart in the middle of the isle. Now that wouldn't be so bad normally but it was right near the a fore mentioned fruit section of the store where, it appears, us old folks like to gravitate to right after coming into the store. I apologized and moved so the young lady and children could get to the strawberries and blueberries. I moved to the side still waiting and made a couple of loops so I didn't stop traffic and I watched the young lady and children walk away from the fruit saying it was to expensive and it would have to wait. Now this will be revisited in a bit but for now I saw the wife coming thru the door and was relieved. I asked her where she wanted to start and she said right here at the fruit. I looked at her turned my head towards the fruit area and I looked back at her and she said " when we come back". Now we headed for the meat area and as I walked behind the empty cart I was looking at the prices and said to myself, now I know why we only shop once a month for food. Oh well onward. as we filled our cart after very carefully looking at weights and prices I came to be beside that young lady and her children . Fruit was to high but in her cart she had a couple bottles of wine, some crackers and about 20 different meat items the last on top being T bone steaks. Now I didn't price the T bone steaks this time but having remembered the last time I did I remember thinking then that I wasn't ready to re-mortgage my house just for some good cuts of beef. Now it's time to head for the isles where we get most of our staples. Same result except now you throw in the mix those elderly people who have to use the little motorized electric carts . Our Meier store has wide isles and well lighted and usually have plenty of room unless those carts are meeting in them two and three at a time. Now I suspect some of these people know each other because of the lengthy conversations going on as they sit there and converse. Sometimes they converse as they drive side by side down the isles. Another fact #4) that I realized is that when people are funneled into the store they gravitate to the rear of the store and all start working the isles in a clockwise rotation. No really they do! I stopped at the end (both ends) of one isle and looked to the other end of the store to see hardly no one. Now knowing my wife she is one of those who make a list of what she needs and it is so she can shop in the clockwise fashion. I asked her, kind of reluctantly, " can we start from the other end and meet these people somewhere in the middle?" She held her list up to me and I instantly realized another fact, D) I was wrong and it was probably going to be another hour before I could go back outside and breath again. Almost to the hour later we were still shopping and navigating heavy traffic and hearing about a lot of medical problems I never knew existed. As we approached the checkout I realized the next ( and not last) fact #6) that this was going to be a lengthy process. 5 lines open and every line had carts and people some with two carts and stretching well out into the main isle. After about 30 min of waiting it was our turn to start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. As we checked out and I started for the door I was ( in my mind ) in high gear and headed for the finish line. In all actuality I was still navigating the rush of people who had the same idea I did. GET THE HECK OUT OF HERE !
Now I have left out some things that I am sure would of been relevant to the journey but would be somewhat boring in it's entirety , so I have spared you the mundane and maybe gory details of the in between story of the story. There was a time as we passed the chilled beer portion that I envisioned stopping and partaking of a few libations just to calm my nerves, and then remembered I really don't drink much alcohol and I wold hated to have to see my wife push me out of the store in the cart. So I spared here the embarrassment and moved on. The 30 mile ride home was good after stopping off to get the oil changed in the truck and stopping to get prices on some parts.
Thanks for letting me tell you about the adventure today and hope you didn't fall asleep reading about it. Oh and by the way I really do love people and love to see them as they go bout their lives.............. now I wonder if someone else today is at home telling someone about this guy they saw today at the grocery store who looked like ,at times, as if he was scared or maybe even bored or possibly he was just laughing inside as he was clearly seeing himself as he was shopping. Hope you had a great day. I know i did. Roger
  • olcowhand, daytime dave, Gtractor and 9 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 05:41 PM

Man, wrote a book didn't we?  Hee!  I shop like a Man. Have a list, go direct to the items, move on and out, usually NO extras. BUT, other tmes with Wife, I buy all the center displays of candy, fruits, cookies and home baked items and usually wings and poppers stuff and Wife says I add Big Time to bill with just Junk!  I LIKE buying Junk food. That's when there is something in kitchen to go to to make or eat, cause I bought it!  Course, many times that is just the first day or two, then some things get old and just set and maybe go bad or rotten and Wife reminds me how bad I wanted those and now no good! 

• hamman said thank you

#3 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 06:00 PM

Had me laughing and reading some of it to my wife. She was pointing at me saying " That sounds like you "!!
Thanks for the laugh!
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 06:06 PM

One item you said. Remember no matter how poor or hard up people are they always have money for beer and cigarettes.
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 07:10 PM

At our local Walmart, it's a fact that the VAC buses bring the seniors in to shop on Tuesdays. We try to not be there then.

On the Ellen Show today, they showed a clip of a guy in a grocery store fruit section talking into a banana like it was a cell phone. One lady tried to tell him his error, but he told her not to interrupt a private talk.

Try it next time Roger!

• hamman, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 07:14 PM

One item you said. Remember no matter how poor or hard up people are they always have money for beer and cigarettes.

Even when they can't feed their kids.

I shop 2 stores: one is 4 miles from home  and the other is about 9 miles. I know about half the people working in each store and they know me. My wife has mobility problems now so, I do much of the shopping alone. I goes much faster that way unless I get into one of my looooong conversations with someone. All topics are fair game. Next Tuesday is an extra 10% off for seniors. Shop the sales.

The difference between men and women when it comes to shopping is that men want to get it over with and women want to savor it. And we all have our own ways that we want to do things.  Good Luck and be glad you can still do it for yourself. Rick

• hamman said thank you

#7 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 07:20 PM

And buy those cigs and beer with welfare money..
  • hamman, boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 07:25 PM

And buy those cigs and beer with welfare money..

I work in a depressed area. Small town near where the camp is has a rite aid. They have liquor behind the counter. I was in line a woman had medicines and stuff in her cart. She asked for a bottle of vodka and smokes. Her debit card was declined. She only bought the vodka and smokes she had them put the rest back.
  • hamman, boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#9 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Laughed about the shopping spree, can relate when I have to go with my wife. I do most of our shopping now that I'm retired and my wife isn't, so I try to go early. Kroger opens the regular cash registers at 8:00 AM, so I wait until then so I don't have to use the self-check-out. I like to get in and out of Walmart before 9:30 AM or go after 10:30 PM. Early to beat the crowd because the variety of people increases as the day progresses, and I don't need to be that entertained. I go late because the crowd has usually thinned and I can get in and out.     

• hamman said thank you

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 09:15 PM

Ya if it was just me with a list I will be in and out in 20 min and headed back home. I really enjoy getting out and shopping but today was just a doozey. I don't think the carts were staying in the cart bins long enough to get cool from the air conditioning. I certainly do not have anything against people who need to use the little electric scooters but today they couldn't even get a charge to keep going.  I most certainly don't have anything against old people, well ... because I are one ! I just found it hilarious all the goings on and the things I realized today as we were shopping. I must admit that the thing about going in the door and doing the clockwise shopping is me all day. Never noticed before until today.   thanks                                                                                                                      Roger

#11 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 09:46 PM

I'm raising three boys alone so I'm in the grocery store once a week with a list. Ours is open until 11. I go around ten after the boys are asleep. I take my list, get my stuff and get out of Dodge. I avoid WalMart as much as possible. I get all my detergents and things like that at Dollar General. Personal stuff from the local CVS when stuff is on sale. Anything else I need comes from Tractor Supply, Lowe's or the parts house.
  • MH81 and hamman have said thanks

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 11:09 PM

Roger, great story.  

You made me think of how I shop.  In two brands of stores, one of which I now refuse to shop in, the flow goes counter clockwise.  The store is laid out that way.  The other two I normally shop are definitely laid out for the clockwise shopper.  I'm a rebel.  I can't remember where things are and I don't remember what else I wanted, so I'm all over the store a million times.

I refuse to shop in a store that gets voted tops in many surveys.  It's a NorthEast chain called Wegmans.  It tries to get the upscale shopper IMHO.  They employ the snottiest kids who are rude and act like you are bothering them when you interrupt their conversations to ask for help or enter their lane to check out.  I got so fed up with bad experiences last year, I called the corporate offices.  I advised the customer service rep, who I could hear was busily typing every word I said, that I would never be shopping at their stores again.  Then I gave her some actual situations why.  All the while she was typing.  Then she stopped typing and said, quite honestly, that the youths they have now are not the same as before.  They act like they have 30 years on instead of thirty days.  They want top pay and feel entitled.  I thanked her for her honesty and haven't shopped there again.

My favorite store is the IGA in Tupper Lake NY.  It is family owned by nice people.  It's Shaheen's.  The brothers who own it are there all the time.  The employees know all the locals.  They have great meats, a nice deli counter with interesting sides.  I stop there just to experience the small town interactions.  They have bag boys who take out the groceries if you have a lot.  I always tip them a buck or two.  It's like stepping back in time.  They stock things I don't find at home in my mega stores.

I have always enjoyed shopping at good grocery stores.  I tend to stock up at Club stores on staples.  I like Aldi's for it's streamlined approach.  I have tried to buy groceries at our Super Walmart, but can't get past the customers usually.  I don't know what it is, but apparently Walmart's are where people lose any morals and codes of decency they may have had before they entered.  It just makes me want to turn around and walk out.

Thanks for venting Roger.  It allowed me to do the same.

• hamman said thank you

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 12:09 AM

I hate going to the store because well... It's a small town and everyone knows me and vice versa. I always run into someone that knows me and wants to talk, or vice versa. If I go to the store (any store, even Tractor Supply) I go straight to the back most unpopularlated section of the store and see what I can find, and often play "dodge-people" because I'm indecisive about stuff and want to buy and will often stalk isles until they clear so that I can just shop in peace.

Funny story I will tell, because it resulted in texting in case it was special. I had just bought my Cub Cadet 108 and parts 109 chassis and had gone in to Tractor Supply to hit the restroom and buy an air filter for the Cub Cadet 108 lol. I had just started back up the isle to the small engine area (previously populated heavily lol) and before I made it I was "stopped" in the isle by a nice gentleman that asked the following question... "Are you the person that has the two Cub Cadets on the trailer?" After weighing my options I said, "Of course I am." (as if there would be doubt lol). Anyway, about 10 minutes later after I figured out his life story and what tractor he was selling at a good deal I ended up texting Alan to see what the expert on Sears had to say about a Sears built by Cub Cadet with a twin Wisconsin engine (i asked the guy if it was Onan and that rang a bell). Anyway, doesn't sound special but the price sounded way too good, but swapped contact information anyway. So would I have been better off with or without the conversation?

I try to shop with avoidance, and am sure others understand, and appreciate my consideration.
  • hamman said thank you

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 08:25 AM

I am not a good shopper.  I go to the store that has what I need/want, I go in get it and get the heck out.  I don't grocery shop, maybe a loaf of bread or jug of milk on occasion but that is it.  When Carolyn get home from her shopping I gladly help carry the bags into the house.  There, I did my share for the shopping task.

• hamman said thank you

#15 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 08:26 AM

Never been to the Métiers in TC but have in Cadillac. Much different than the two near me which I tend to avoid. No special reason other than All the people dogging it and having a family or neighbor meeting in the isles. I so do find it funny neighbors won't talk over the fence with each other but will in a store.

Even though I am an antique I refuse to go on Wednesday which at most places is senior day here. I usually get the discounts cause I tell them seniors live every day of the week and have no special days.

I can go in a store and come out in a matter of minutes drives me crazy to see the wife inspect ever seam ever square inch of fabric on a blouse or a pair of work jeans for me and discard several before selection one.

Is also funny we have a TSC store, Wal-Mart and Meijer's 6 miles and a bit from home. OI drive 15 miles to go to TSC because the one close to home would be a great location to have a FARM STORE. I also do the same drive 15 miles to go to Meijer's cause they don't park piles of crap in the aisles so you can dodge around the aisle talkers. I have been known to tell them to take it to the parking lot.

:D   Al

• hamman said thank you