JD 110 variator stuck

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDeere110 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69034
  • 133 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 09:11 AM

I can push down the "button" on the top of the variator but when i want to move it it doesnt move. does anyone know what is wrong with it and how to fix it?

Edited by JohnDeere110, July 08, 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,502 Thanks
  • 6,371 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 05:15 PM

No expert here, but......have owned old ones that the lever moves very easy and only the last rear inch had any change take place. One I had I just spray oiled he heck out of the pulleys and mechanisms that I could reach and worked it back and forth. Loosened up some and more adjust travel. There is a big hole under or near that lever, may have a push-in cover or maybe that has fallen out. There is a bolt head behind the tin hole. Might have to move lever tho to align it? Can't recall for sure. You stick in socket and loosen that bolt some, run engine and have lever all the way forward to take up slack and movement. Tighten the bolt once this is done, leave running. NOW, should be more pull on the adjustment. Far as Not being able to push botton, sounds like just rusty from water down handle tube and elsewhere. I would soak up down the tube handle with PB Blaster or similar and try to get into the back side of tin and spray around also on linkage and pulleys. Try not to get belt TOO oily, it will get some on it. Then, after soak, tap that center button with hammer a few times to see if it knocks loose. If it does, work it back/forth while running and maybe even add some regular motor oil down into tube for more lube. I wouldnt do the pulleys are with oil, or at least be more careful if you do that. Pretty hard to see or do anything with this drive while tractor is all together up there. Penetrant and tap with hammer. let us know if works.

• JohnDeere110 said thank you

#3 Delmar OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,256 Thanks
  • 2,383 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 06:38 PM

Sounds like rust may be your problem.  The variator is actually 2 halves of a pulley that slide back and forth on a shaft.  that shaft must remain clean and smooth.  variators wear out because that shaft is no longer smooth.   Go to you nearest J D dealer and he will print you a photo copy of the variator and can tell you exactly what to do to make it work right again.  One important thing to remember is not to move the variator lever unless the tractor is running and moving.  You might get by with just some oiling on the shaft itself. 

I'm no artist, but here is a rough drawing of the variator pully/shaft assembly

Attached Thumbnails

• 014.jpg

Edited by Delmar, July 08, 2015 - 06:40 PM.

• JohnDeere110 said thank you