wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 10:35 PM

Looking for one or two (preferably matched) electric trailer brake controllers... That DO NOT use electronics (ie: if you can adjust aggressiveness of braking I don't want it). I plan to mount one on each of my Cub Cadets for moving my trailers around. I was thinking of having just an On/Off switch but will maintain that option for fully stopped, because not sure locking up the trailer tires is a good idea when moving down a slope. Please shoot me some offers, thank you.
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,462 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 03:09 AM

What? such thing made?  New controllers don't hook into brake lines anymore with ABS and such now days and have a pendelum effect to make them sense stopping and release. STill needs electric to work. SO, what is this thing and HOW does it work?? I'm lost here.  Think just need BIGGER tractor maybe, heh!

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 03:23 AM

I got and old one that was it my 72 ford pu--it hooked up to the brake line but it does have a sliding knob type thing on it that you squeeze with your thumb and fore finger if you only wanted to use trailer brakes to increase voltage to brakes , it is pre electronic .give me a day or two to dig it out and look at it---if you want it it's yours just pay postage-----------Bill

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:26 AM

Casey ,most electronic brake controller have a manual slide on them for doing just what your asking

Here's the one I have in my truck , the manual slide is right  in front .

http://www.tekonsha....sRB54WVEaGlY|zH

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 07:48 AM

Alc is right. And assuming the cubs don't have brake lights, that's the only way to apply brakes.
Mike

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 08:03 AM

Your old '72 model is right where it belongs, in a '72 truck.  All the new ones have the manual brake control like has been stated in prior post.  Use an on/off switch to power it (That is what the brake light switch hook up does) and the slide control to control the amount of brake applied.  Sounds to me like your trying to do a job that is 4 times larger than the tractor your wanting to do it with.

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 10:59 AM

I have a controller in my truck that has a circuit board in it (ie: what i meant by electronic), and yes i know it can be manually activated as well. All I want is the rheostat only style with lever actuator to avoid possible circuit board damage if left out overnight.
Bill sounds like he has what I am looking for.
As for doing a job that needs 4 times bigger tractor... I have that option too... If needed... But it is not feasible for the amount of maneuverability I need to move these 1000# empty weight trailers between the yard and driveway around the obstacles I have. I am going to have hub brakes on my Cub Cadets, but want the controller to aid in stopping if it gets out of control on the gradual slopes between driveway and yard. Im trying to increase my safety levels so i dont hurt myself or my equipment.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 07:17 PM

Casey your making me think back now lol I do remember we had an adjustable brake controller that used a knob that you would turn for the amount of braking for the trailer . I'll see if I can find something like that

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 07:33 PM

Is this what your after ?

http://brettequipmen...etail.php?p=759

part759l.jpg

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 09:16 PM

No idea what I want anymore. Mostly just along for the ride.

#11 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 02:57 AM

brake unit 002.JPG brake unit 001.JPG

No idea what I want anymore. Mostly just along for the ride.

Here's what I got --I opened it up to see if any thing was corroded and it looks ok--the pressure switch is frozen but you not using hydraulic brake line anyway and it pops right out if you don't want it in the way.It does have a wheel knob not shown in pictures but all that does is control the spring tension on the sliding control knob.Not sure if it works but it is free--PM me if you want it            Bill  

• MH81 said thank you

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 05:51 PM

What? such thing made?  New controllers don't hook into brake lines anymore with ABS and such now days and have a pendelum effect to make them sense stopping and release. STill needs electric to work. SO, what is this thing and HOW does it work?? I'm lost here.  Think just need BIGGER tractor maybe, heh!

ABS still really has nothing to do with it. 4 wires is all that is there. brake pedal sense(goes to stoplight switch on brake pedal) hot, ground and a wire to feed power to the trailer thru the 7 pin connector. Thats it.   The wire to the stoplight switch now does what the tie in to the hydraulic line, used to.  Trailer brake boxes have been like this for years.

#13 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 08:04 PM

On a lot of the newer vehicles there is a plug under the dash and using an adapter you just plug the controller into that plug and you're done, just installed one on my '99 Dodge 2500 this spring. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted