• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 printerannie OFFLINE  

printerannie
  • Member No: 70092
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 09:25 PM

We bought a Gilson 3314A with a Gilson tiller 33095. It has electric PTO.Problem is-the pto shaft is too short to engage.

It is about 8 inches too short. Can I just get a longer shaft?  Is there such a thing as  different size tillers?

Also, it says not to declutch when the pto is engaged??? explain, please.

One more thing- the pto does not engage when the switch is thrown

Anyone that has any help would be appreciated

Will & Anne

#2 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 04:23 AM

Hello and welcome to GTtalk!  glad u found this site!

That sounds like a fine tractor you have.  Sorry to hear you are having problems with it.  On the PTO, could be a fuse problem, a bad or dirty connection in the wiring harness, bad wire, or a bad switch, or even a bad PTO.  You will have to just check it all out to discover the problem. 

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 04:39 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! We have some manuals here that may help. Pics can help a lot too, check the link in my signature for uploading them.

• printerannie said thank you

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 07:35 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 08:07 AM

Welcome to GTT. The warning may be for safety. They may want the attachment turned off before you stop and get off the machine. Find the manual(where Kenny linked) and read it. Good Luck, Rick

#6 printerannie OFFLINE  

printerannie
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 12:43 PM

Thanks, all, for the help. I see I put in the wrong model no.- it should be33418A

It's great- runs good, starts good.

I was wondering what "declutch" means? Put in the clutch, or let it out. I'm thinking I need to shut off the PTO first, then put the clutch in.

Make sense?  I'll try the pto suggestions from Delmar.  Great site!!

#7 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 09:16 AM

I have two of those with single cylinder Briggs.  I can't help with the electric PTO, the single cylinder PTOs are mechanical.  As for the tiller driveshaft problem, you may have the wrong drop box.  The twin series is similar in construction and attachments to the S series that preceded it.  I have never had two of these tractors next to each other, but I suspect the Twin cylinder tractors may be longer and that you may have a drop box for an S series.

The warning means to turn off the PTO to the tiller before you push in the transmission clutch.  The reason is, if the tiller is still in the ground, it will continue to push the tractor and could cause tiller driveshaft or gearbox failure.  The driveshaft could twist or the chain could break in the tiller gear box if allowed to push the tractor.  You don't want to break stuff on this tractor, as parts are nearly impossible to find.  Word of warning, the tractor will not steer well with the tiller in the ground, so point it in a straight line before putting the tiller in the ground.

These are great tractors, and an overlooked brand.  I hope yours has hydro lift, as the tiller is a bear to lift.

• KennyP, boyscout862, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#8 printerannie OFFLINE  

printerannie
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 09:25 AM

OK, that's a good answer, Kenny! Now I need to look for the right drop box. Thanks for the tip on the clutch. I figured I needed to turn off the PTO first, before declutching.  Also, thanks for the steering tip- good to know!! (I do have the lift, but of course, it's too short, so I attached an I bolt to lift it manually- of course, I don't have the right shaft, so it won't work anyhow.... hmmmm)

Thanks!

Will & Ann

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,655 Thanks
  • 7,679 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 11:00 AM

Glad your here! Once you get this machine running, how about some vanity shots for us? We really like eye candy! :thumbs:

#10 printerannie OFFLINE  

printerannie
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 10:25 PM

Still no luck finding the right size shaft, but might have a guy who can weld in an extension for us. Might work. Thanks, all for your help. I'm not done, by any means. I will still need advice!