#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 05:47 PM

Recall I had power brush for PK? Recall used in winter for snow. Recall, tried it in spring on grass for rocks and it was Jambing? Well, our steep drive goes running down hill with all our gravel in big storms. That main road to my place is up hill and blacktop, so gravel goes all the way to bottom. Was real bad this spring. SO, went down with my Swisher bucket sort of on, and it just slid mostly over the rocks, no good downpressure with it. I DID come back with some in bucket. Then as it is, won't dump out, heh! Anyway, then took the brush down to see what happens, if it will jamb or I will be lucky. Well, in light stuff was doing great, up down a few times. THEN, when I hit the little heavier areas it jambed. I couldn't seem to un-jamb, so back up the hill to garage and off comes the brush. NOW, go get the push blade and put it on. Go back down, start light and slow and it is doing just great! Down to surface and all. Almost done with pile and cleaning up and suddenly lost lift! Darn bolts (which I left loose) fell out of the lift bar and it fell off. Nut was gone, probly in pile somewhere?? Back up hill in neighbors car, who was coming in same time. Got the bolts/nuts and wrenches and went back down to double nut those. Then, drove uphill again, went and got engines out of my small yard trailer, hooked it up, got the tools to shovel and sweep, back down hill and broke my back shoveling it in trailer. Took two loads pretty full on 10 CFT trailer. Used the blade to push around and back into holes and grooves and called that done for day, all worn out. Then, went to shop to tear down the brush. Not having any manual, was guessing my way around on this. Removed the end bearings and braces and found two bolts on top under plastic covers to pull and whole thing was loose. ONE more big bolt below where the main frame bolted to cover and the big cover just rolled off whole assembly. SO, before I found all that, was taking one brush off at time going off the outer shaft end, spacers, brushes, and on way thru found one set bolt, and when in farther found one long bolt thru the brush hub and shaft. Pulled it and whole shaft came right off the main drive. SO, on other side once exposed found same bolts, but on oppisite ends (reason for that?) and pulled them. NOW, the hub won't slide off the shaft like other one, kinda rusted I"m thinking. I gave up for today. Here's some pictures. One is pile of loose parts, the big cover is one piece, the other brush is still on the gear box. I found a seal pushed out on the drive to box and a snap ring to hold it all in and looks like the bearing or it's race is pushed part way out of the housing. Thinking that is where problem is. Not sure how to get shaft out yet, looks like sides come off the main gear box to open it. Doesn't seem like it is going to split anywhere else???

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150705_171403.jpg
  • 20150705_171333.jpg
  • 20150705_171322.jpg
  • 20150705_171251.jpg
  • 20150705_171236.jpg
  • 20150705_171226.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, July 05, 2015 - 05:50 PM.

• boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Looks like the shaft needs opened at the other end, there is a cap with bolts there to get it out?  Soon as can get other brush off, will be looking into that tear-down. Hope it is something simple and not a worm gear or such. BUT, I never have such luck when I get stuff broken, heh!

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 05:59 PM

For some folks, all of life is an adventure. Glad you got it fixed.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 10:03 PM

Update: Today went at the broom again. Puller on one end of brush hub, made end pop-off and brushes started coming off, then with one good pull, the hub let go and slid off the shaft too then. That is ONE Long shaft thru that gear box, not two. All the covers were siliconed on, I hate that stuff, no gasket anywhere on unit. NO OIL or grease in the gear case. Lots of ground up brass gear pieces, ooops! the brush shaft has a brass gear in middle. Have to take shaft to shop and use a bearing puller like on rear-ends I guess to get those off and out of way. The brass center gear has snap ring each side and maybe a key groove? Bearing seemed ok there, but ones on drive shaft not so good. I bent both of those cages trying to get off. Finally got out the right bearing puller tool and got those off, but did pull pretty hard. They are one tight press fit on shafts. They are not large, will be getting new ones. One was all blue, like it had been hot. The main drive shaft was heavy steel and had bras areas kinda stuck to it, but not really scored up itself. I went to power brush on grinder head, which didn't take it all. Was fingering out how to scrape that off, when noticed end seemed to be wobbly as I turned it. Darn! That whole shaft is bent out in the worm area. Not a seperate gear, the worm is the shaft. SO, Kaching! will be buying that too. Thought was gonna be good to go on it. I doubt I or anyone else could straighten something like that right? Have it mesh right. I don't have brand on the gear box yet. Here's a picture of some parts. Anyone have such parts off of anything? Say a tiller or another brush? That shaft and brass gear are the main things needed. Bearings are timken and should not be a problem, and the seals should be do-able. These seals have metal on both sides of them. Kinda diff. I'll be taking numbers to my Shop and see if they can get all these and prices.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150712_215242.jpg
  • 20150712_215227.jpg
  • 20150712_215211.jpg
  • 20150712_215201.jpg
  • 20150712_215152.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, July 12, 2015 - 10:06 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 11:19 AM

I can help with the bearings and seals but cant offer any info or sources for that gear of other brush parts.

The seals sound like they are the double wall seals meant for extreme conditions

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 11:37 AM

Wow, that gear is a mess.
Hope you can find one!

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 10:25 PM

Called Mission and they have the gears. NO price break, he says limited supply, once gone, their gone! So the worm shaft is $132 and the Bronze gear is $149.  I took the brush shaft to shop and they are looking at pulling those bearings off center and then the big gear. I showed the bent worm shaft and he said they have a Crankshaft straightening machine and might try it to see if can bring back. Never heard of such a machine before!!  I figured would need good user on a good press to make it work. Left it today, not sure when it might be worked with. Might be spending money for time and wasted if it doesn't work. Spending money to Save money never seems to work, hee!  Might have to buy those gears one at time and just wait longer to get working. I DID gunk and power-wash the body and hubs and the brushes today and they are now clean and ready for assembly. Will be looking at prices of bearings and avail also, might do that tomorrow. Seals may need diff source Im thinking.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 11:25 PM

OK, no real info on HOW to tear-down or re-build this broom is found by me. Just basic maintainance and oils and setting it up is all I have. If I get the gears I am wondering just What is the proper order to put back together? I'm thinking I need to put in the worm gear first and then the long brush shaft with it's gear is put into those over-size holes on sides and kinda lifted up to or dropped down to, depending how it is held, to engage the worm gear and then the bearing caps go on and center it all. sound right? I was at first thinking the worm could be walked out of the case and same way back in after the long shaft was in. BUT, now seeing it out of case, notice it doesn't have the gear cut all the way to end of the shaft and would just jamn/stop trying to do that. Any Pointers if I'm wrong?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150715_215055.jpg
  • 20150715_215037.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, July 15, 2015 - 11:27 PM.