• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 04:40 AM

Over the years, these things will continue to work but will lose pressure little by little. Once they begin to leak, you can feel and smell the gas in the oil.

Guess I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were saying diaphragm failures were common on K and Magnum engines often causing major engine damage. Now I am confused. How often have you personally experienced diaphragm failures on a Magnum engine? Did it actually leak enough to thin the oil and damage the engine or are you simply saying that is a possibility if the operator isn't vigilant? 

#17 djordje33 OFFLINE  

djordje33
  • Member No: 62653
  • 20 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 09:20 PM

Had a Deere 317 with the KT17 engine and an Ariens GT17 with the same both running rough, not maintained, and a good amount of fuel detected intermixed with the oil. The smell becomes apparent and rubbing the oil between two fingers indicates the degradation of the viscosity.  Once I changed out the fuel pump, I took the old one and connected suction hose to a cup of gas and manually started pumping the cam lever. Rather than all of the fuel leaving through the discharge hose, there was a steady drip of fuel exiting the flanged area which bolts to the engine block. Not trying to open up a thesis or a huge can of worms on fuel pumps, but it is just a mechanical component which has a limited life. Some longer than others, but all shortened because of the junky fuel our governments have imposed upon us. 

Also had and Onan CCKB on a Simplicity Powermax. Big diaphragm pump, sits on top of the block, and it was leaking. That's when I didn't know one would leak and found out the hard way, wiping out the bearings. That's when the preventive maintenance began. 

Edited by djordje33, July 08, 2015 - 09:38 PM.

#18 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 03:07 AM

Had a Deere 317 with the KT17 engine and an Ariens GT17 with the same both running rough, not maintained, and a good amount of fuel detected intermixed with the oil. The smell becomes apparent and rubbing the oil between two fingers indicates the degradation of the viscosity.  Once I changed out the fuel pump, I took the old one and connected suction hose to a cup of gas and manually started pumping the cam lever. Rather than all of the fuel leaving through the discharge hose, there was a steady drip of fuel exiting the flanged area which bolts to the engine block. Not trying to open up a thesis or a huge can of worms on fuel pumps, but it is just a mechanical component which has a limited life. Some longer than others, but all shortened because of the junky fuel our governments have imposed upon us. 

Also had and Onan CCKB on a Simplicity Powermax. Big diaphragm pump, sits on top of the block, and it was leaking. That's when I didn't know one would leak and found out the hard way, wiping out the bearings. That's when the preventive maintenance began.

Gotcha. Thanks. I always check oil level before I start my tractor, every single time. Something I was taught to do when I started mowing over 55 years ago. Now I will give a quick sniff test too. I keep my tractor in perfect running order and do not mind replacing good parts for PM. However, sometimes new parts are not as good as the originals. The replacement fuel pumps for my M18S have plastic bodies (Stens and Kohler OEM). I did find a small company which makes custom antique car parts. They also make rebuild kits for most Kohler mechanical fuel pumps. I am going to contact them to see if they make a kit for mine. I will post my findings.

#19 djordje33 OFFLINE  

djordje33
  • 20 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 04:51 PM

I did bump into some NOS fuel pumps which were metal and made by AC for the Kohler. See them now and then on ebay. My only reservation would be how the diaphragm material has weathered sitting around for 20 or 30 years. 

#20 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 05:25 PM

I bought one of those AC pumps, theres a guy on Ebay with a bunch of them, I paid something like $40 for it a couple months ago, last time I checked the listing was still up.

#21 djordje33 OFFLINE  

djordje33
  • 20 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted July 09, 2015 - 09:04 PM

If I'm not mistaken, those AC pumps are also rebuildable. Be nice to grab a couple of those, along with a few rebuild kits for the long haul.