• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

Rustysteele
  • Member No: 72710
  • 273 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:07 PM

A long time ago when I got hooked on old engines and walk behinds, I was able to get 3 1/2 Beeman tractors. I sold my tractors to concentrate on engines, and 15 years or so ago I started collecting them again, and this was the only Beeman I could find that was available, what a bummer! I have all the parts for it, I replaced the handles because the old ones were twisted around like pretzels, but what I`m curious about is how do I tell what year it was made? It has the round-magnet magneto, I forgot who made it, so I`m thinking early 1920`s. I see another Beeman post here where people are saying how old their Beemans are, how do you tell? Is there a serial number list, and where do I find the serial number? It is in rough condition, the cylinder is badly pitted and the underside of the head is busted out from freezing, so would anyone here happen to have a good bare engine to part with?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN6163.JPG
  • DSCN6164.JPG

• Lauber1, Mike Unwin and Columbia236 have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,764 Thanks
  • 4,907 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 01:58 AM

The cast cleats and 12 spoke wheel would put that one at 1919 or late 18. If you are standing in front of the tractor, the serial number should be on the left side of the oil pan bolt and usually below the split. Actually stamped in the pan. Mty theory is that the first 2 digits are the year. It may not be 100% correct but its close.

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi and Lauber1 have said thanks

#3 BEEMANofGardenTractors OFFLINE  

BEEMANofGardenTractors
  • Member No: 88367
  • 9 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 19, 2017 - 04:54 AM

Okay, added info. to Wikipedia about Two wheeled tractors: BEEMAN, as Grt GrandDad invented, was VP at Moline Plow Co., invented Gas Garage Door opener first, then moved to 1st Garden Tractor, circa 190_? First patent in 1915, and took about 3 years to patents back then...he had 100's of patents for implements. Was invented in the "Mary Tyler Moore" mansion (aka BEEMAN mansion built 1890s, w/ gas & ELECTRIC,even though Mpls not wired yet!). Home had 3-5 acres, and large building out back with garages,workshop. Aug.1918 Tractor World magazine suggests Grt GrandDad had been working on Tractor design 4 years prior! So this places near the timing. He invented first took a few years to put it all down in patenting format, get lawyers, then put in application. Incorporated BEEMAN Garden Tractor Company, Mpls, Mn, 1916. Published books from 1917, so it takes time to publish book/catalog. E.R. Beeman had been VP at Moline Plow Co. in Iowa for a few years. Money to fund came from profits made in Gold, CA 49er, his father, whom also co-Founded Nome, AK after CA went "dry" in 1850s. Family left in 1960's,I was last Beeman of this clan, and left Mpls in 1980. Now in San Diego, with short bit in Kansas & Milwaukee.

• DougT, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 2 others have said thanks