FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:47 PM

Yes, the big planting of tomato's are seeded! All my tomato's, tomatillo's and peppers were started today, and my herbs are coming up! :D

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 08:25 PM

So, you've been busy. Good stuff.
I've been reading about you guys down south planting for almost a month now.
Lucky guys.
This is what I have to do to exercise the gaskets.
Posted Image

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 05:46 AM

Nice tractor, IamSherwood. I wanted to put out tomatoes and bell peppers this weekend, but with 40 mph wind and chance of severe weather, decided against it. Probably Mon. or Tues. I have broccoli blooming and it's time to put out more onions and radishes. May start the cukes, also.
KennyP

#4 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 06:21 AM

Here in North MO, I'm just about ready to start my seeds in the greenhouse! ~~ grnspot

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 07:43 AM

I cheated. Went to the garden center. They are about a foot tall now, in small pots. Need to get them in soil soon.
KennyP

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 05:20 PM

Yea, but you have to look hard to even find Roma's around here, let alone the Opalka's I planted! I am kinda bummed... I had this plan to use the stairway to the cellar to mount those tracks that wire shelves hook onto. I thought they would be perfect, just set the shop light on brackets above the light and raise as needed. I forgot the stairway is less that 4 feet wide... the shop light does not fit! I guess they go into the shop with the baby chicks once they sprout!

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 09:06 PM

Well, I have managed to get a plant in every planted peat pod. I had to "cheat" a little and transplant a few "culls" into the pod's that did not sprout, but it appears they have all taken. I planted just 4 of the tomatillo plants and only had three seedlings come up, but that is OK, I just stuck a spare culled Opalka into that one.

My peppers have been off to a rocky start, and not as many came up as I wanted. These are the Tangerine Dream from Burpee. However, again with transplanting the culls carefully, it looks like I have managed to get the full 12 plants. (not that it's a big deal, I am sure I will give away close to half of them!) The peppers are staying heated in the mid 80's with a heating pad, and my wife's digital turkey thermometer stuck into the middle of one of the plants.

#8 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Well, I have managed to get a plant in every planted peat pod. I had to "cheat" a little and transplant a few "culls" into the pod's that did not sprout, but it appears they have all taken.

I always make sure some of my cells have more than one seed just for that reason!

I had to do some replanting yesterday! :( I have 8 (72 pack) flats of marigolds & one flat of tomatoes w/2-6packs of sweet peppers started. Going to have to heat the greenhouse tonight, prediction is for near freezing temps. ~~ grnspot

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 09:33 PM

I did just that, but these seeds were only 25 seeds per pack. I had 16 of each tomato plants, and I think the peppers were a 30ct (12 started) So some of them did not get more than once seed! The tomatillo plants surprised me too, I had more than enough and planted three per pod. (One pod did not sprout at all!)

I have been lucky though, all my "transplant" culls held in just fine. We are just over the 30 day mark before the plants need to hit the dirt!

#10 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 11:14 PM

About 2 more weeks to go! I just started 12 cucumbers (Burpee White Wonder) 12 Harvard Butternut's, 6 Pumpkins, and 6 Cantaloupe's. (Plus a dozen Marigolds to plant in with the tomatoes!)

I do tend to plant some extra and give some of the plants away. I have 32 tomatoes and only need 20-24, It's a shame to see those Opalka's not hit my garden.... but it's pocket change in the terms of lost money. I might put in 6-10 of the cucumbers, and the same in butternut. The cantaloupe and pumpkins may all go in. I may plant the pumpkins out of the garden too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 06:17 AM

Looking good ! Next stop , the garden !

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 08:37 AM

They look to be very happy with that environment at present. What I have in the ground is getting bigger, but could use a bit more sunshine than we have had lately.