• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Motofan81 OFFLINE  

Motofan81
  • Member No: 69072
  • 35 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 07:02 PM

Let me preface this with saying I have a terrible habit of being known for bringing home orphan mechanical objects of less than desirable functionality . Good news is it is largly there,rust is very superficial, and electric start. Bad news is trans is stuck in gear and most likely needs a engine (or rebuild if it looks to be a decent candidate).

image.jpg image.jpg
  • Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 07:20 PM

That's an impressive exhaust system on it. Looks like a nice project
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Motofan81 OFFLINE  

Motofan81
  • 35 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 07:23 PM

That's an impressive exhaust system on it. Looks like a nice project

The previous owner had "interesting engineering" talents in a couple spots. i had already removed the hvac duct work chain guard

Edited by Motofan81, July 03, 2015 - 07:24 PM.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Looks like Grumpy left one get away from him.

Maybe he's getting out of the hobby?

• MH81 and Delmar have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 11:08 PM

Well, that sure IS junk, best to let ME come and get it out of your place and be prettier then! :smilewink:  Is that a 1630? or maybe late S-23 you think or know?  Should say on that circular hood decal, can't read in pix. Has a sideways T-92 3spd then?  Those being stuck in gear is common. You can pull the top off with just those four bolts and move the gears back to N and forks and lever too and then put back on. Should work for at least awhile. Make the shifts with long deliberate H pattern, not a quick slam and jamb on these. If you go to the Power King forum here,, there is a posting at top about repairing the ball end on the shift lever. You or someone welds it up to build back size, then have to grind down sides of it to proper dimensions to fit between the shift rails inside trans. This end wears down and then jambes between the rails when it is worn enough and jambs there.  This is same trans as PK's used.

Looks about like any old Speedex with the rust and things welded on and attacked. These are easy to tear down and fix/paint needed items. Many times a good blasting or cleaning of the parts and all the turning points and some grease will make them work much better  Engine is Briggs and may need carb build or mag cleaning of rust or replacement. Look for mouse nests under the main cover if setting long time. You'll like this rig, there are a few parts guys out there, but little harder to find. Most are in Ohio or PA area, where these were made.  Scroll thru t he posts here and get some tips and places to ask.

• Delmar and Motofan81 have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 05:12 AM

Nice tractor with lots of potential

#7 Motofan81 OFFLINE  

Motofan81
  • 35 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 07:06 AM

Well, that sure IS junk, best to let ME come and get it out of your place and be prettier then! :smilewink:  Is that a 1630? or maybe late S-23 you think or know?  Should say on that circular hood decal, can't read in pix. Has a sideways T-92 3spd then?  Those being stuck in gear is common. You can pull the top off with just those four bolts and move the gears back to N and forks and lever too and then put back on. Should work for at least awhile. Make the shifts with long deliberate H pattern, not a quick slam and jamb on these. If you go to the Power King forum here,, there is a posting at top about repairing the ball end on the shift lever. You or someone welds it up to build back size, then have to grind down sides of it to proper dimensions to fit between the shift rails inside trans. This end wears down and then jambes between the rails when it is worn enough and jambs there.  This is same trans as PK's used.
   Looks about like any old Speedex with the rust and things welded on and attacked. These are easy to tear down and fix/paint needed items. Many times a good blasting or cleaning of the parts and all the turning points and some grease will make them work much better  Engine is Briggs and may need carb build or mag cleaning of rust or replacement. Look for mouse nests under the main cover if setting long time. You'll like this rig, there are a few parts guys out there, but little harder to find. Most are in Ohio or PA area, where these were made.  Scroll thru t he posts here and get some tips and places to ask.

Thanks forthe tips, nice to know i might can get t shifting without too much trouble. I have been wanting one for a while, there just are not too many to choose from down here.

It is a s24, so yeah 3 speed.

#8 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 11:27 AM

Nice tractor, I would bring it home.  Muffler does not look original likely why the added plumbing. Eyecatching as it is that would be the first thing I'd paint.

Edited by Jazz, July 04, 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 11:41 AM

From the start of your post it sounds like you bring junk home :poke: , but it looks like it has possibilities.

#10 Motofan81 OFFLINE  

Motofan81
  • 35 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 10:31 PM

Went all over that engine this evening and can't find the serial number anywhere. what should i be searching for (engine series) parts on those old 10hp motors?

Edited by Motofan81, July 06, 2015 - 10:33 PM.

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 03:27 AM

10 hp is series 24 I believe.  Many times I don't find the numbers, then when sanding or blasting find them stamped into air housing either at top or on side down low or near starter say, if one.  You sure not a 16horse?  They used them alot on Speedex, but maybe that is newer models?  Those are series 32 and have variations. One parts book for Series usually has the diff variations and systems listed for that series, so covers many years and models. Here maybe in manusls or Briggs site has way to print them off it.

• Motofan81 said thank you

#12 Motofan81 OFFLINE  

Motofan81
  • 35 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 08:05 AM

Previous owner said it was a 10hp, i was really hoping to find the number to verify. I havehad lots of 5hp briggs over the years but i don't think i have ever ran across an old 10hp (or 16hp) so i need to get up to speed. Will do some research, there has to be some other visual clues even if there is no number. That and i may just need to pull the engine tin off to get a better look.

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 08:37 AM

If I'm not mistaken there should be an ID plate riveted to the shroud that wraps around the cooling fins on the crankshaft side

Parts are readily available for the most part

• Motofan81 said thank you

#14 Motofan81 OFFLINE  

Motofan81
  • 35 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 09:07 AM

If I'm not mistaken there should be an ID plate riveted to the shroud that wraps around the cooling fins on the crankshaft side

Parts are readily available for the most part

There are a couple of holes there that a plate could have been attached to but only on one side.

Here are some motor shots, it "looks" like what i am seeing online when googling 10hp, but the 16hp may be identical.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150707_085945.jpg
  • 20150707_085658.jpg
  • 20150707_085638.jpg

Edited by Motofan81, July 07, 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#15 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 02:39 PM

One item is a four bolt carb bowl and the one piece air cleaner tube at carb makes it bigger engine. Slightly smaller has three bolt bowl and air tube separate from carb. NOT sure where the hp break is for change. The owners manual for Speedex shows numbers for engines I beleive, not sure if usable number for model or size, might check.

Edited by glgrumpy, July 07, 2015 - 02:41 PM.