• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fred OFFLINE  

Fred

• Member No: 2068
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:36 PM

Bought a 14HP Roper lawn tractor Model 400707 0127 from a local school district. I got it running pretty well. This my first lawn tractor. Problem 1, I can get through all the gears but not always. Is there an adjustment for that? I can see the drive belt and it seems jump back and forth a lot. Problem 2, Someone put the rear wheels on outside in. To make it worse they beat them on and mushroomed the end of the axle some. I can probably file the end and get them off. Is there a reason someone would do that? Because they are reversed I can't get the rear panel off to get at the rear axle. Does someone have a owners or repair manual I can download. I got a 14 HP Sears one from this site, close but you have to guess at a lot. Any input would be appreciated.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 08:03 PM

I don't know of many manuals being available for the Roper lawn tractors. I am sure there are some out there somewhere. Hopefully get lucky and one of our members will have one. I can't picture why anyone would beat the rims on to the point they mushroomed the axle. I would almost have to see pictures to see why they would have done that. I don't know how they are setup.

Some belts will bounce to a degree even with the right tension. As far as being able to get in all the gears, sometimes you have to let the clutch out just a touch to just barely have the gears start to move and it aids in getting it in to gear, same as if you let off the brake just enough to let the tractor start inching in one direction or the other and it allows the gears to line up. I have to do this with my Massey MF12G to get it in 4th gear and sometimes in other gears as well.

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 09:57 PM

American Yard Products AYP built Ropers, Craftsman and many other store branded machines.
Check out the Yard Pro thread from yesterday.
I think just a little searching will find you parts.
You might post pictures and maybe one of the craftsman guys will recognise what Craftsman model cross references with yours.
Once you know that The Craftsman part #'s should work.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,219 Thanks
  • 28,590 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 10:07 PM

As for beating the hubs on, no idea... A lot of guys with hillsides will opt for the wider stance to help with stability.

Some of the axels had a spring clip on the end and a keyed shaft. If this is what you have, may be the easier way to get the tires up where you can work on the hub / rim.