• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 06:07 PM

Since I am getting Allis's deck ready to go back on, she decided to come in out of the sun for some lubrication. Took some coaxing and a new ignition switch, but she fired off finally and ran great. Ran her around the neighborhood for an hour or more to loosen stiff joints.

2015-07-03 15.27.56.jpg

She has one very slow first gear! I could walk circles around it. Not real speedy in 4th, but she'll do fine. All oils are full and zerks are greased. A little 30W on some other areas and she is quite content.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 08:59 AM

I went out this morning and kept getting a whiff of gas in the air. Went to the Allis and sure enough the tank was leaking AGAIN. Fixed it good this time. I put the tank off my old MTD on it. Only a 2 gallon, but it doesn't LEAK!

2015-07-04 08.24.18.jpg

Seems like every time I put gas in these old tanks, they find another spot to crack at. I tried Seal-All, that just peels off, didn't stick at all!

2015-07-04 08.24.57.jpg

Wonder if MTD had a larger tank available?

• OldAllis52 said thank you

#3 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 11:36 AM

Once a tank starts to leak its generally a sign of the general condition of that area of the tank if not the whole tank. Sort of like radiators. the leak you fix today will be near the leak you find next week.. You could try the tank sealers that are applied to interior of tank. I have never used the product but local rad shop here says they have had no complaints.

• KennyP said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 01:57 PM

Once a tank starts to leak its generally a sign of the general condition of that area of the tank if not the whole tank. Sort of like radiators. the leak you fix today will be near the leak you find next week.. You could try the tank sealers that are applied to interior of tank. I have never used the product but local rad shop here says they have had no complaints.

My issue is the fuel outlet is a 90° bend at the bottom. Not sure if I could keep that open!

#5 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 10:01 AM

Very nice 416S Kenny. We have a 410 shuttle that we have had since 1979 I believe. Replaced the rings once as well as normal maintenance items and the original engine decided to chuck the balance gear. We repowered with another 10hp but would really like to find a 16 for it.

Take care
Mike
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 10:49 PM

Boy Kenny that sure does look better than when you first got it! Someone needs to reproduce those tanks,I get requests for help finding them all the time.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 06:10 AM

I'm not sure how the liner will work on a plastic tank, but what have you got to lose?
The stuff doesn't harden instantly or anything, I would put a piece of wire in the small hole and up into the tank a couple of inches. Coat the tank and remove the wire, run a tooth pick or something in there and make sure. Let it cure and try it.

Btw, there isn't a screen in there is there?

The tractor looks like its ready for some work again.. The deck done yet? :D
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 09:50 AM

I'm not sure how the liner will work on a plastic tank, but what have you got to lose?
The stuff doesn't harden instantly or anything, I would put a piece of wire in the small hole and up into the tank a couple of inches. Coat the tank and remove the wire, run a tooth pick or something in there and make sure. Let it cure and try it.

Btw, there isn't a screen in there is there?

The tractor looks like its ready for some work again.. The deck done yet? :D

There is no screen. But I need a pretty good sized hole in there as it feeds a K341. Don't want it starving for fuel!

Deck just need belts to do a trial run! I just crossed the lengths to MTD #'s as the local store has those. Don't feel like a 20 mile round trip for 2 belts!