• craftsmanmowerfreak said thank you

#62 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 06:36 PM

I finally got back to the Roper for a little while today. I didn't get a lot done but just getting back to it was a accomplishment. I'm trying to make this post from my phone so we'll see how that works. I have decided for now to get it running driving and working before I worry about prettys and modifications. I got some tightening up done on the underside and got some more pieces back on. I also think I solved several of my issues (at least for now) at once. I have a self contained K301 Kohler off an air compressor. The engine has its own gas tank and control panel to start it. That would solve my gas tank issue and since the wiring is all gone from the tractor and all the switches seem to be junk. Plus since the engine drive pulley is a hydro tractor only drive pulley and is for 1 1/8th crank and the Kohler has a 1 1/8th that is another plus. It looks like everything will clear. The tank,idler pulley,battery tray,etc. I did figure out as Alan mentioned,what a pain in the rear it is to get the belt on the drive pulley of the pump. Once I finally get it lined out and running good I would like to do the Same front axle and spindle swap that MH did along with his foot control conversion. I also would like to get the other turning brake and turn brake linkage from a Deere 140 or early 300 series to convert the tractor over to turning brakes. But first things first,back to getting it running and driving,then maybe a hood and grill...BTW pain no attention to the messy work area.

post-325-0-25601000-1452900673.jpg     post-325-0-97223000-1452900708.jpg

post-325-0-09337000-1452900933.jpg     post-325-0-44269100-1452900847.jpg

post-325-0-55958200-1452900814.jpg     post-325-0-57345800-1452900748.jpg

post-325-0-64020600-1452900774.jpg     post-325-0-86611700-1452900965.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#63 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Oh good the pictures are upside down....Help !
  • KennyP said thank you

#64 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 07:41 PM

Oh good the pictures are upside down....Help !

Better look again!

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#65 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 07:45 PM

Someone fixed them, they look fine now.

Glad you're getting back to this. I do see one problem, that plate with the serial number on it is in the way... I think it would just be better for you if you mailed that to NW Pa somewhere... (That's my way of saying congrats for finding a replacement engine)
  • rustyoldjunk and KennyP have said thanks

#66 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 08:06 PM

I fixed them, Alan! Finally have a program to fix them again!

• rustyoldjunk and MH81 have said thanks

#67 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 10:00 PM

Thanks Kenny ,again. Seems a lot of my pictures would be upside down lately if not for you. Working off my phone or tablet is something I don't have completely down yet. I think part of the picture problem is that I'm left handed and hold the phone the most convenient way to take the picture ( which is opposite of the right handed majority that the button is convenient for in the correct way ). I will work on getting better with it.
  • KennyP said thank you

#68 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 10:03 PM

What phone do you have?

#69 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Alan it sure won't be original because it was so far gone but because of that its a good excuse to put it together like I want it.everything will be a tight fit but I think I can fanagle it so everything clears and the hood closes. I am going to have to take the panel off the engine with the off/on switch and push button starter and move it. Right now its just above the starter and I won't be able to reach it with the tank and battery tray in. You never found the tag for yours ?

#70 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 10:12 PM

What phone do you have?

Its a LG Flex. I really like it but I'm just starting to use a phone for internet stuff,I'm used to my old school desk top. (Sounds funny to call a computer old school ). The LG Flex is a big phone and does a good job,I just have to get up to speed with it.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#71 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 07:12 AM

Its a LG Flex. I really like it but I'm just starting to use a phone for internet stuff,I'm used to my old school desk top. (Sounds funny to call a computer old school ). The LG Flex is a big phone and does a good job,I just have to get up to speed with it.

Guess it's time to take your right hand to school and teach it to take pics! :rolling:

#72 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 09:49 AM

This has to be a record in slow tractor progress for me. :smilewink: I guess as I get older my Patience are getting better (I'm pretty sure thats not the case). Between time to get to it and money to spend on it,the Roper has stayed on the back burner a lot. But,because I would like to have it running and driving before spring,I'm back on it (kinda) again. I stopped at Indiana Rubber for some hydro hose and fitting help Friday,great crew there,they always do me right and I should have just went there in the first place. They sent me home with a hose and fitting to measure what I need,then tomorrow I will take it back and they will cut to my needed length and crimp my fittings on. The first picture shows the longer hose and fittings they sent home with me beside the shorter and wrong hydro line another company made for me. My next issue is the set screws are completely seized up in the engine drive pulley. I really don't want to drill them but I'm not sure what to do at this point. This is a hard to find hydro pulley so I want to be able to use it instead of trying to find another one. MH what fluid did you end up using in the trans ?  I'm hoping (but probably wrong) to have the Roper running and moving under its own power within a couple of weeks. An after thought. I know people will wonder "if the set screws are stuck,how did you get the pulley off?". Well....I don't know. I got rid of the original trashed engine and later remembered that I needed the drive pulley. He got it off somehow and mailed it back to me.

Attached Thumbnails

• roper 18t parts 2 14 2016.jpg
  • roper 18t parts.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#73 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 09:57 AM

I believe it calls for a specific hydro fluid, but I did some research and found it was the same as 20wt.
Rolled over a lot of shoes and found what I needed...
Little more research and decided with the wear factor (older equip) and additives in the 303 stuff at TSC, that I would try next time. Have the oil, just waiting for a 70* day to do it.

BTW, You will want to make a rain cover for the dipstick on the tranny.
THATS where the water is getting in.
Pee poor design IMHO. Inverting the design would've made it a water shed instead of a water funnel.
  • rustyoldjunk and KennyP have said thanks

#74 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 10:37 AM

Try some heat and then the Acetone/ATF mix on those set screws. Can also do the heat and candle wax, letting it melt around the threads.

#75 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 07:42 PM

Got my hydro line and fittings today,along with a new filter. The fitting going into the pump won't screw in so hopefully there is yet another thread option,I've tried two styles and neither fit. While I'm in town tomorrow I will see what else I can find.

• KennyP said thank you