Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey 1655 with Johnson loader, hydraulic cylinder repair.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:33 PM

Glad you have it figured out George.

I guess I must be like you Dan. I've had my sights set on getting something for the last couple years and I was finally able to get one two weeks ago.I know its not a GT but it's a toy that we all can use,so its been taking up most of my time,lately.Larry

Alright Larry, you can't tease us like that and not tell us what the new toy is :D

#32 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:36 PM

I still can't get over how well that Onan Performer runs in this one. It didn't run like this when it was in the Snapper 1655. I am beginning to think there is something restricting the gas flow on the gas tank of the Snapper 1655 but I don't have it anymore to prove it.

The Onan Performer starts up almost instantly with a little choke when cold, after a couple seconds choke is off, after a minute turn the pto on with for the loader and she is good to go.

The one other thing I am going to have to fix is the throttle lever keeps wanting to return to idle like there is not enough tension on the pivot spring anymore. I guess I will have to see what I can do to fix that.

#33 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 06:18 PM

The one other thing I am going to have to fix is the throttle lever keeps wanting to return to idle like there is not enough tension on the pivot spring anymore. I guess I will have to see what I can do to fix that.

Good luck with that. My 1655 throttle doesn't vibrate all the way back to idle, but it hasn't held full throttle since I got it in '82 in spite of several attempts to tighten it.

That's a nice looking loader valve with float that you put on. Why are you looking for another? Valves with built in load checks don't come cheap.

#34 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 06:26 PM

The 1655 I have now,and the one I had for 28 years and sold back in 2008 both had that problem with the throttle vibrating back.

#35 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hey George my 1655 used to do that as well slowly slow down.This is what I did and its been good since.You'll have to take the nut off that compresses the spring.I then used a fiber washer behind the lever as well as one up against the lever and spring.I then put it back together [with the fiber washer's sandwishing the lever] One other problem that seems to happen is that even using a self locking nut it still seems to work loose,my solution was to use a double nut system locking them together keeping them from comming loose.It's been good this way for a few years now.Larry
  • TUDOR said thank you