Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey 1655 with Johnson loader, hydraulic cylinder repair.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 08:02 PM

Oh no, just pointing out what the plates were. Never heard of a valve doing what yours is. I just wonder if the slight push going up is normal up, and all the way is a float position? Either way, something isn't right. But the pump must be fine considering the tilt is strong.

I didn't mean to come off rude, after I hit the submit button I reread what I typed and I thought it sounded snottish and I didn't mean it that way :D

There were quite a few things that have been rigged, I am slowly making progress at getting things the way they should be. I got the video uploaded showing how it is acting, the shop is a mess and I have tools laying everywhere. Anytime in the video that the bucket moves I am pulling the lever back, when it does go up it is when I pull the lever back all the way. I did put it down a little at one part of the video to keep everything in focus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3clZxHNO68

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 08:13 PM

I didn't take it the wrong way George! Besides, by this time of night, I do good to type right, much less express feelings correctly! LOL Nope, after watching video, nothing to do with any float position. As fast as it does raise "no load", I'm surprised it has no lift capacity.

#18 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 08:16 PM

I talked to Al on the phone earlier tonight and he had a good idea, since the bucket tilts just fine and has power with that, swap the four lines on the valves and see if the main lift is any better, if it is good then I can rule out anything else and replace the control valve. I looked at the control valve while I was taking pics and it would be pretty quick and easy to swap the four lines since they are all the same fittings. A lot of the ones I have seen usually they will have male on one and female on the other as not to get them mixed up.

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 08:28 PM

Now why didn't I think of that! I do the same type thing with spark plug wires & coils to see if problems follow the switched parts.

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 08:29 PM

I am really hoping it is the valve, then it gives me an excuse to get the 4 way loader valve :D

#21 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 06:54 AM

The cylinder drop as you pull back on the control is normal. The spool hits a dead spot on its way to the lift position. Speed of motion counts untill you learn it. Your valves are probably fine, except as noted below.

Take the long can off the back of the valve body and check the spring and retainer in there. Seems to me that I had a similar problem to your lack of lifting power a few years ago and that's where it was.

Wish I could have seen the action of the lever and linkage as you moved it. From that angle the lever doesn't look quite right.

Edited by TUDOR, April 06, 2011 - 07:00 AM.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#22 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 08:59 AM

It goes down, down, down almost like you move the lever the wrong way. It is either the pressure relief or the valve. The bucket tilt works good though, that is actually how I got the mower deck lifted enough to drag it.

George, The control valve should have a spring and poppet that will hold the load till you apply enough pressure to over come the load and then raise the load.
Not all valves have that but it would be worth a look. I have seen the springs break and even the disk get out of place.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#23 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 09:03 AM

George, A true loader valve would have the loader hold feature.
That is what we use in the Forklift industry as well to prevent what you are explaining.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#24 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 09:19 AM

That makes sense Ducky. I have seen a loader do it before but it was on a backhoe that was pretty old when I did construction. Other then that one I have never seen one act like this. The hold feature makes complete sense, it does hold the load as long as you don't move the lever, so it would make even more sense that the hold function isn't working right. I think the other thing I would like to do, for a good winter project next year is to make the whole loader assembly easily detachable, with no bolts other then maybe two pins to remove it. I think it can be done. I loved how the loader on the John Deere 3120 I had would detach. I don't think I could make something that fancy without some really expensive tools but I think the same principle could be adapted.

#25 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 09:27 AM

That would be handy George.
I will try to dig up a schematic of one of those valve when i get a moment. That my make it easier to understand what I an talking about.

#26 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 10:10 AM

This depicts the Check Valve I am referring to.
It will not permit flow back to tank when the lift system is under pressure.
This could be installed as an external valve if not incorporated in the lift spool.valve.jpg

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 10:13 AM

Wow, schematics for hydraulics are just as bad as trying to figure out electrical schematics LOL.

I am going to try and get some garage time tonight and start checking out the control valve some more. See if that valve is there and what is under the extension cover whether the spring or disc/plug is out of place or broken.

#28 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 07:41 PM

Well good news is the loader works now :D

I decided to take the control valve off that was on there and try the other valve that came with the tractor which was the original one. I had to make some new links and they are not the prettiest but they work and there is a lot less slop in the control handles now. It took a little cycling to get the air purged out but once the air was purged it picked up the bucket pretty good and I had about 150lbs in it, which before it wouldn't even pick that up. So I am not sure why the PO changed the valve in the first place unless the other pump had gone bad and the control valve was the first thing he tried.

Here are some picks of my temporary McGuyver'ing until I get a 4 way loader valve.

DSC_0256.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0255.jpg

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 07:51 PM

Good deal, and saved $200....for now only though! LOL If you're like me, and I believe you are, once you set your sights on something, sooner or later it WILL be yours!

#30 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 08:10 PM

If you're like me, and I believe you are, once you set your sights on something, sooner or later it WILL be yours!

Glad you have it figured out George.

I guess I must be like you Dan. I've had my sights set on getting something for the last couple years and I was finally able to get one two weeks ago.I know its not a GT but it's a toy that we all can use,so its been taking up most of my time,lately.Larry