Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey 1655 with Johnson loader, hydraulic cylinder repair.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 06:49 PM

I am sure some of you guys have repaired the hydraulic lift cylinders on one thing or another. The right bucket tilt cylinder on the newly acquired Massey 1655 is leaking. It must be the bottom bore seal and slowly follows the path of the cylinder and drips on the floor. It isn't the fittings. Will I be able to get the parts I need to rebuild the cylinder myself or should I take it to a hydraulic shop and let them do it?

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 06:54 PM

The inside of the cylinders aren't that hard to do yourself.Basically it's a o-ring and a wiper ring you really just need to change the 0-rings and you'll be good to go.The hardest part sometimes is taking the cylinder end caps.You'll have no problems doing one yourself George.Larry
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,576 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:47 PM

Larry is right, you can do it yourself. Only thing you need the hydraulic shop for is getting the proper o-rings & wipers. Usually the o-ring kit boxes aren't the right o-rings, as all I've ever seen in these hydraulic cylinders & valves are a thicker o-ring.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Larry is right, you can do it yourself. Only thing you need the hydraulic shop for is getting the proper o-rings & wipers. Usually the o-ring kit boxes aren't the right o-rings, as all I've ever seen in these hydraulic cylinders & valves are a thicker o-ring.

Thanks guys. Once I get the 20hp Onan in place and wired up I will see about pulling that cylinder off and taking it apart. Good thing is the hydraulic shop is right beside my work so I can swing over there on my lunch break one day through the week.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 04:47 PM

I gotta do some work on the loader, I am hoping it is just that it needs oil but haven't checked that yet, been too busy with the engine swap. I had to get the mower deck that came with the new 1655 off of the trailer so I could load the Snapper 1655 and take it to the new owner today. I got the deck hooked up to the bucket and it wouldn't even pick it up, it actually dropped. I ended up putting as much tension as I could on it and then just slowly drug it to around back of the garage. I am hoping it is just low fluid but there is a chance that the control valve is shot. I found a 4 way loader valve on Northern tool and it is around $200. Even if the valve isn't bad I see the 4 way in my near future. I want to redo some of the hydraulic hoses also.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 05:38 PM

Sometimes removing the gland nut is tricking threaded on or snap rings, sometimes they use a small square locking key ( hard for me to explain ! ) That's great that you have a place to pick up parts . They should be able to match everything up for you.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 06:12 PM

I just went out to the garage because curiosity was getting the better of me. I wanted to check the oil level to make sure that wasn't the problem. I pulled the breather off and added about a quart of oil. Not nearly low enough to cause problems. So I fired it up and I showed dad how if you just barely move the lever on the lift valve the arms actually move the opposite direction until you move the lever more and then it moves in the direction it is supposed to. I think it is definitely the control valve that is shot. I stood in the bucket and had dad move the lever and it wouldn't pick me up, not that I am a lightweight but I would think it should lift me up, I am probably around 230 lbs.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,576 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 06:19 PM

George, it should lift you like you're not even there!

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 06:22 PM

George, it should lift you like you're not even there!

It goes down, down, down almost like you move the lever the wrong way. It is either the pressure relief or the valve. The bucket tilt works good though, that is actually how I got the mower deck lifted enough to drag it.

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 06:46 PM

So I fired it up and I showed dad how if you just barely move the lever on the lift valve the arms actually move the opposite direction until you move the lever more and then it moves in the direction it is supposed to.

Could it be sucking air somewhere?

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,653 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 06:52 PM

Could it be sucking air somewhere?

Usually through the carb.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:43 PM

I took a bunch of pictures of the hydraulics for the loader as well as the cylinder seals. The one that is leaking looks like they replaced the original seal with a rear end axle seal. I also took a video of the loader to try and show what it is doing with the various valve movement. Will get it uploaded and posted then.

I also took a pic of the 20hp Onan Performer in it's new home. The thing has never run better :D

Here are the pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0251.jpg
  • DSC_0254.jpg
  • DSC_0252.jpg
  • DSC_0256.jpg
  • DSC_0257.jpg
  • DSC_0249.jpg
  • DSC_0255.jpg
  • DSC_0253.jpg
  • DSC_0250.jpg

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,576 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:47 PM

The valve's lever link plates aren't worn....those are link plates from roller chain.

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:50 PM

The valve's lever link plates aren't worn....those are link plates from roller chain.

I know the lever plates are not right, if the valve was good I was going to make something better that didn't have as much play. They wouldn't have anything to do though with how it is acting.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,576 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:58 PM

They wouldn't have anything to do though with how it is acting.

Oh no, just pointing out what the plates were. Never heard of a valve doing what yours is. I just wonder if the slight push going up is normal up, and all the way is a float position? Either way, something isn't right. But the pump must be fine considering the tilt is strong.