• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Nodlenor OFFLINE  

Nodlenor
  • Member No: 67796
  • 10 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 07:28 PM

I too have a husqvarna, my yard has a swampy area all year, once I spray the deck and put 2 in 1 blades on, it helped alot.

Pardon my ignorance but what is a 2 in 1 blade?

#17 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 08:07 PM

My little Husqvarna struggles with grass sticking to the deck. I am convinced it is the design of the shell that causes it. Dry grass is no problem, but with all the rain and early dews in the evening, mowing dry grass is not normal conditions. Driving a bit slower helps quite a bit.

#18 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • Member No: 35630
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 10:01 PM

Pardon my ignorance but what is a 2 in 1 blade?

The ones I have are high lift/mulching.

#19 Nodlenor OFFLINE  

Nodlenor
  • Member No: 67796
  • 10 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 01:59 PM

I think I found at least part of my problem. I cut part of the rubber shoot off and let it get rid of the grass better. It seems to be doing better now. I'm going to try some high lift blades too. I painted the underside of the deck last spring and I'm going to do that again. I may even try the WD-40 also. Thanks for all the suggestions.

#20 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 03:59 PM

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that along with the high-lift blades, I now run lower RPM and it is cutting and discharging the grass much better. The grass clippings now look almost like they were cut with a sickle mower. I suppose most people want the clippings chewed up fine but I was having a terrible problem with buildup. I was mowing 10 minutes and having to stop and scrape! Buildup has been cut to a minimum and I can mow [so far three times on the new blades] without scraping.

I need to be out mowing now but I think I'll wait at least until the hail stops. :deadhorse: :(

#21 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • Member No: 73130
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 12:20 PM

I live in NW Missouri... the state of misery. Ever Since early spring we have gotten non stop rain and as of right now its raining. The grass is never and I mean never dry so if you want to mow you are mowing wet grass. If you were to wait for it to dry you simply wouldn't ever mow this year. Normally our summers aren't like this.

My decks are painted with truck bed liner spray and its much more durable than normal paint.

• Gtractor said thank you

#22 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted August 03, 2015 - 03:53 PM

I live in NW Missouri... the state of misery. Ever Since early spring we have gotten non stop rain and as of right now its raining. The grass is never and I mean never dry so if you want to mow you are mowing wet grass. If you were to wait for it to dry you simply wouldn't ever mow this year. Normally our summers aren't like this.

My decks are painted with truck bed liner spray and its much more durable than normal paint.

Wouldn't that truck bed liner spray be kind of a rough texture and tend to hold onto grass? I use an epoxy enamel on my deck.

#23 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • Member No: 73130
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 12:41 AM

Wouldn't that truck bed liner spray be kind of a rough texture and tend to hold onto grass? I use an epoxy enamel on my deck.

No its just like the inside of a bed with the spray in liner. Its no different to clean than any painted surface but its so much more durable.

#24 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 03:57 AM

I thought it was my mower but obviously Im not alone with my mower dumping grass turds!  Dry grass proved be more forgiving but I would like to sandblast under side of deck and apply some epoxy primer topped with some quality single stage paint,,maybe go large on the hardener! Get it slick underside! Currently I spray with rust inhibitor. I think I was also driving too slow mowing,,,just putzing along enjoying the ride. I only have half acre so riding the GT is like therapy for myself who works nights forever....

#25 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Grass clippings mare going to clump unless it's bone dry when you mow. I've accepted that. WD40 and other lubricants just attract and hold dirt. I hose my deck off after mowing and at the end of the season I scrape it good, hit it with a scotchbrite pad .and purple power, then prime and paint the bare spots. It doesn't tske long to do it and I change my oil and sharpen my blades while I'm at it.

Whatever is sprayed on isn't going to last forever. So,you are going to need to hose it off at some point anyway.

#26 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 12:31 PM

Interesting that this is "up" now, have a Swisher trailmower just back from sandblasting, after welding up a few wallowed holes like for the front anti Scalp roller, then replacing the brackets for the wheels and adding a mount for a gas tank and battery since the donor engine is elec start and doesn't have a self contàined gaa tank of its own, it'll be time for fresh primer and paint.
I have the Valspar tractor and equip paint and some hàrdener. Is there anything else I can mix in along with the hardener to help shed build up of dead grass? Esp. Since the PO didn't seem that care one bit about the underside, but this mower would be a PITA to flip for cleaning

#27 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 02:46 PM

Hey guys keep up this thread. I didn't mean to scare anyone off

Edited by dodge trucker, August 20, 2015 - 02:46 PM.

#28 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 08:59 AM

The water grass is in full swing here in north Misery.  I have a plenty of it right now.  Don't know if you have any but that stuff is tuff and sticky.

on that subject  is there any way to get rid of water grass for good and keep it from taking over one's yard from mid summer on? (besides spraying Roundup on the whole lawn and starting over)  My lawn looks good thru spring and start of summer but when the water grass takes over/// forget it.

Back to topic of this thread;  My Swisher trailmower is at the neighbor's, it's getting painted this week (it is currently sandblasted, bare metal top and bottom)  I found a gallon can of automotive clear coat on my shelf given to me by my brother that I forgot I had (can't recall brand but it is a "cheaper" brand)  Would clear coating the deck (at least the bottom) help it to shed the buildup easier?

this style mower isnt the easiest to flip and scrape, and obviously the PO rarely if ever did so.....

#29 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 10:27 AM

MUCH better than gylphosate and a total kill of all vegetation would be a selective 'broad leaf" herbicide such as 2,4-D.  That way you won't be killing the good grass too.  Then you would only have to reseed certain areas.  [hopefully] 

Edited by Gtractor, August 23, 2015 - 10:27 AM.

• shorty said thank you

#30 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 02:46 PM

Yeah I sprayed it with 2,4D about 3 weeks ago, got rid of all the Creeping Charlie that is àlso so prevalent in this area, but all that did was to make more room for the Crabgrass and watergrass. Much worse than it has been in severàl years. That is why I am disgusted to the point of considering a total burndown with Roundup so I can start over. I finally got that part of my backyard that was not wanting to grow grass, but about 1/3 (one side of the concrete porch) is dead again...

What I do not understand is how lush and great the yard looks the 1st 1/2 of the mowing season before the watergrass invades and tàkes over the 2nd 1/2 of the season just to start next season nice again
It's a vicious cycle.