• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Nodlenor OFFLINE  

Nodlenor
  • Member No: 67796
  • 10 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 08:04 PM

I have a LGT2554 and I have a problem with grass sticking under the deck causing it to leave strips of unmoved grass. I took the deck off this spring and cleaned & painted the underneath side with a paint that was supposed to help eliminate this problem but if anything it is worse. I realize that the amount of moisture is working against me also. Any ideas or suggestions for a solution to this problem would sure be welcomed. I've not had this problem with any other mower that I've owned.
  • FrozenInTime said thank you

#2 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 08:19 PM

The Craftsman decks are bad about this. I can fill a 5 gallon bucket twice with "mower poop" cutting the 3 acres once.

1. Try and cut when it is dry. I prefer damp with some dew, I don't feel like I worked bailing dusty hay all day.

2. If damp, I cut 1/2 of the yard then scrape the bottom of the deck. Cut the other 1/2 and scrape the deck again.

Hence The 2 buckets of mower poop.

Tools to use.

1. High lift jack

2. BBQ grill long handle spatula

3. Metal putty multi tool

4. 5 gallon bucket

Edited by larrybl, July 02, 2015 - 08:22 PM.

#3 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 08:32 PM

All that comes to mind is are your mower blades the proper one's and proper length.If the blades aren't the proper length your going to get uncut strips left. If the grass is long the wheels will also push down the grass sort of leaving strips. I could be way off but with all the mowers I've cut with over the yrs its usually the blades being worn and the length having gotten shorter.How about the blades being on upside down check to make sure there on right. I know one year I was at my Brothers and he was unhappy with how his mower was cutting. It was a 3 blade mower deck I took the deck off and once it was off I pointed out to him that he had the center blade on upside down. Once corrected it cut like it was supposed to.

Edited by massey driver, July 02, 2015 - 08:36 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,920 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 09:54 PM

The water grass is in full swing here in north Misery.  I have a plenty of it right now.  Don't know if you have any but that stuff is tuff and sticky.

I recently switched to high lift blades and that helped a bunch.  When it quits raining every 15 minutes that will also help. 

While I had my deck turned up and changing blades I used an angle grinder with a course braided steel wire brush to de-rustify just one of the three areas.   That way I could tell if it worked.....    I can't see as that helped any. 

• dodge trucker said thank you

#5 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 10:01 PM

This is normally what I get off the top, and bottom of the deck after each cutting of 3 acres.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1120910.JPG
  • P1120911.JPG
  • P1120914.JPG
  • P1120915.JPG

• boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,508 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 07:41 AM

I think half is the right blade for the deck and the job, the other half is the deck design. I strongly prefer the Gator Blades. The real ones, not the clones. Lot more lift to get the wheel tracks, cuts the grass into finer pieces and blows it out away from the deck.

To many mower decks are just a sheet of metal with a dish stamped into them, a couple guides added to look good and that is about it. A deck has to have some capacity to get rid of the cut grass. The design of the JD deck under the F5235 mowers are made shallow in the rear where there is little grass to move and tapers to deep in the front where all the grass goes before it goes out the side. Each blade turns in it's own circular shaped chamber in the rear of the deck so one blade is not re-cutting the grass from the blade next to it. I have a low place in the lower corner of my property that is always wet. Lot of times there will be water standing when I mow. I slow up a bit and go right on through it and don't worry about if it cuts right or builds up under the deck or anything. I mow when the ground is dry enough to hang the side of the banks or climb up them. I keep the blades sharp and wash the deck out after every mowing of 2.5 A. I seldom have more than a flat sand shovel full of poop to pick up.

Compare the decks of the commercial mowers to the deck under our yard mowers and see the difference. Just my opinions that work for me. I am not a big JD fan either. I like RED, but the JD F525 and others of the F series mower are one heck of a mower with the off set deck and all.

#7 Nodlenor OFFLINE  

Nodlenor
  • 10 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Sounds like this is a condition I'm just going to have to put up with as I haven't heard any solutions yet. I realize if it ever quits raining every other day it will help. I prefer to mow when the grass is dry but lately that hasn't been an option. Blades are new and installed properly so that isn't the problem. I think it is the design of the deck because my old (1994) Yardman 18hp 46" cut doesn't clog up like the Husqvarna does and it is practically worn out. Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:13 PM

I always coat my deck with wd40 or a silicone spray. Seems to cut down on stuck grass. Generally only "clean" ie scrape them twice a year. Middle and end before storing for winter.

#9 Nodlenor OFFLINE  

Nodlenor
  • 10 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 07:44 PM

I always coat my deck with wd40 or a silicone spray. Seems to cut down on stuck grass. Generally only "clean" ie scrape them twice a year. Middle and end before storing for winter.

. Thanks, I'll give that a try. How clean do you have to get it before you spray it? I just scraped mine out today but didn't wash it.

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 08:02 AM

Putty knife, and peel away.  Usually at the end of the cutting season, Scrape it down with a putty knife, then I get the drill out with a wire cup on it, then I put several coats of whatever color spray I have on it in thick coats(who cares about the color its under the deck although some colors seem to coat better) and then I let that dry for a few days, then coat it with the silicone spray.

The spray paint is just to keep them sealed.  Grandfather always painted them, Dad always painted them, so now I always paint them.  Never seen any of their tractors suffer from "deck rot" that we all dread on our vintage equipment.

http://www.tractorsu...or-mowers-11-oz

I've also used products similar to that one.  First one that popped up on google with decent results. 

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 08:07 AM

It dosent matter what product you put under the deck if your cutting wet grass. Wet grass will stick no matter what.

If you cut the grass when it is fairly dry there are some products out there like Mow-Deck and Garage dog I sell, both work well when you cut in ideal conditions

• KennyP said thank you

#12 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 11:29 AM

That grass looked way to wet to me,,  Look at the build-up on the tires also... Just my .02..

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,507 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 02:36 PM

If I walk across the grass and my shoes are wet, I don't mow. Dry grass will not stick to the deck.

#14 jerry56 OFFLINE  

jerry56
  • Member No: 17120
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 08:29 AM

X2 on the silicon spray. I clean mine down to bare metal with a wire wheel each spring and soak the deck s down with a cheap silicon spray...I let it dry in the sun while I sharpen and balance the blades then I spray the blades down and put it all back together. By the second or third season almost nothing sticks to the deck, some grass will still stick around the spindles and at the chute but for the most part it will be as clean as when I started the season

#15 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • Member No: 35630
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 02:41 PM

I too have a husqvarna, my yard has a swampy area all year, once I spray the deck and put 2 in 1 blades on, it helped alot.

Edited by fedora, July 08, 2015 - 02:42 PM.