• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 08:28 AM

July 4th was always a lazy day as I was growing up in on a mid Michigan farm. We would do the morning chores of milking the cows then taking them to the day pasture. We would empty the stock tank and refill it with fresh water cold from the well  then put a watermelon in it that dad had bought the day before from a produce stand. With that finished we would dress in out Sunday go to meeting duds and go to town to see the parade, back then WWI and WWII and Korean vets would march with the VFW of American Legion group. If there was a election in the near future there would be many local candidate’s riding in the back of a Convertible provided by a local dealer ship. Of course there would be boy scouts girl scouts and all the little ones like cubs and brownies. They were kids on decorated bikes and farm equipment dealers parading some of the equipment they sold. After the parade we would go to the fairgrounds where there were a lot of farm community activity’s going on, horse shoe pitching contest was a pretty big one with many teams entered. My dad used to pitch some with his brother; they normally would end up somewhere in the top 10 but both had a horse shoe pit at home they practices a lot at. We also would find a empty picnic table and have a feed made up by my mom and aunt of fried chicken potato salad and other summer foods topped off with that ice cold melon from the stock tank and wrapped in burlap. Just about 3:00 PM dad would head off to the grandstands with us boys in tow to watch the horse pulls.  Back when I was a boy many farmers still kept a team even though everyone had a tractor or two. We would rush home after the horse pulls and do the evening milking then rush back to town to see the fire works.

I got drafted in 1966 and was sent to Viet Nam, sort of  lost my patriotic side as I saw how the leaders of our country was running the war almost like it was a way to control the male population of our country.  Still got a lump in the throat when the flag went by during a parade and the anthem still means some to me but I know longer have the pride I once did and stopped doing the normal July 4th stuff we did as kids.

I got a job in the cities when I got out of the service. We got the 4th of July off if it was during the work week. I worked with a guy who's brother worked for Stroths Beer Company who always got a bunch of tickets to tiger games in the summer. He would give some to the guy I worked for who would give me a pair for the 4th. I would have my dad come down and go to the game with my friend Ernie and I, They always managed to lose too but it was time with dad who enjoyed the game just as if they would have one.

Then about mid 1970’s we would get the rest of the week off if the 4th fell on a week day. We stopped going to the tiger games and went camping in the UP and fished for the long week end., did that till I got married in 1985.

When the Kids were little we would make the hour one way drive to Bay City at least once to see the fireworks.  I have always felt that the Bay City fireworks are the best I have ever seen. They have did 3 days’ worth since I can remember. But today the kids are gone and the grand kids live in another state so the 4th of July has just become another day of the week.

I admit I do miss the old home town type celebration and the ice cold watermelon from the stock tank

Have a happy safe 4th

:D  Al

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 14 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 09:59 AM

That reminds me of my days growing up. I felt the same way after 'Nam.

• boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 10:12 AM

I agree Alley, Bay City, Michigan fireworks are the best. Seen them many times as kid and a adult. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Hope you have a good Independence Day.  Thanks again.                                                                                                                                                                          Roger

#4 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.  I can remember some of the same activities you mentioned when I was young.  Our country has changed a lot since I was a kid and not for the better I'm afraid.  The flag still means a lot to me but I don't know about our younger generation.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 12:03 PM

I think that we who grew up in the 50s and 60s had the best time to grow up. Our dads and grandfathers had seen an awfull lot of change in their lifetimes. Mine spent much time teaching me to be an old fashioned "good man". Fifty years ago the label of being a "good man" was very high praise. He was a guy who did what needed to be done, when it needed to be done whatever the consequences. I grew up seeing most of the men I knew being good men.

The Army was a big shock to me. As a private, a sergeant, and as an officer, I was very disappointed in the people around me. Selfish, petty and incompetence was rampent. The good ones seemed to get out as soon as they could. While WWII vets were around, I shot up in rank and was covered. After 1976, I found it alot more difficult. I did my time plus an extra 19 months medical hold and got out. As Al and Kenny said it shakes your patriotism.

The problem is that everything has become political. The feds are trying to create a fully controlled society for the benefit of the top 1%. They are ignoring the threats we have from outside our boundries.

The thing to keep in mind is that the 4th of July is to celebrate and remember the courage and sacrifices that people made 240 years ago for the independence of our country. Say a prayer for them.

Edited by boyscout862, July 02, 2015 - 01:55 PM.

• Gtractor, KennyP, Bud W and 5 others have said thanks

#6 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 12:17 PM

Amen to that, boyscout862. The fourth of July is meant to remember those who fought and those who died for my freedom and for my country. God bless the United States of America!

Edited by Delmar, July 02, 2015 - 12:21 PM.

• KennyP, dthomp17, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 01:06 PM

Those of you who cling to Christian beliefs and are familiar with the teachings of the Bible, please remember the teachings of St John in his Revelations. He tells us of great upheavals coming in the end times. There is no way that is going to happen without much discomfort and loss. You all need to look at this as growing pains and remind yourselves of what comes after. Amen?

• Gtractor, KennyP, dthomp17 and 1 other said thanks

#8 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 02:55 PM

Alleyyopper---get yourself a watermelon and have a picnic lunch with an ice cold melon And remember the goods times as a child and I'll bet you will experience some of the joy you had as a child---It will be good for your mind and body.  

• KennyP, Delmar, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 04:59 AM

Got the melon but isn't going to ever be the same again. Or even close for that mater. All the old celebrations are gone, All my folks, aunt and uncle too are gone also.

Today it is about spending money on a midway while waiting for dark and the fireworks.

:D  Al

#10 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 06:13 AM

Life is what u make it.  If you want to celebrate with  your family doing the things u did as a kid, then get started doing it.  Waiting for something to happen won't make it happen.  Family and friends don't last forever, but the memories we make with them do.  So go make some memories for them that they will cherish like you do my friend! 

• KennyP said thank you