• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Slaminbrews OFFLINE  

Slaminbrews
  • Member No: 72668
  • 24 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 09:33 PM

Picked this up today for 60 bucks not running, got her home cleaned the float bowl put new fuel lines on and fired right up. It's a case 220 hydronic drive with a 12hp Kohler engine. It's got hydrolic lift for the blade as well. Can somebody tell me how to post pictures? I'm new to the site. Looking to get some more info about it because I know nothing about it. I'm sure pictures would help.
  • MH81 said thank you

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 02:00 AM

:welcometogttalk:
Sounds like a nice machine.
Picture help is here: http://gardentractor...file-uploading/

Thanks for joining!

#3 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 04:52 AM

If it's a 12 hp it is 222 not a 220

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 07:42 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 07:45 AM

Welcome to GTT. You are off to a great start and will soon be addicted like the rest of us. Check out our Manuals Section for the manuals you need(3 free downloads per day). Good Luck, Rick

#6 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 09:37 AM

What is the serial # ?  Post it up one of us can tell you the year and model info.  If a 220 should have a 10 horse kohler, 222 would be 12 horse, the last digit of the model# also the last digit of the engine horsepower.

Operator's manual a good start

http://gardentractor...erators-manual/

Parts catalog

http://gardentractor...4-parts-manual/

Sounds like you are off to a good start.  I'd change the engine oil with 30wt, then the rear axle with 15-40 motor oil, it just smells better than gear oil and works easier in winter imo. 

The 15-40 motor oil also goes in the hydraulic system, not hydraulic oil like other tractors.  All this info is in the operator's manual.  Easiest way i've found to change hydro oil is with a vac pump into the tank.  I wouldn't try to take the hose off the tank it can be a pain and maybe cause issues if your tank is plastic.

How does it drive?  If the drive is strong then it probably has motor oil so wouldn't need to flush from underneath.  If you don't know the service history it's not bad to change the oil in the tank to keep it clean, there is no filter, good luck

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 Slaminbrews OFFLINE  

Slaminbrews
  • 24 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 02:26 PM

I do not think its the original engine. Trying to find a year on both engine and tractor but having no luck. I already changed the oil, have to tube the like new front tires and try to find a belt for the deck. Anybody know what belt I need? I was surprised the hydro lift worked good with no leaks. Also the engine has a miss to it curious if anybody knows where to start with that. Was it worth 60$? Not sure what they sell for. The lawn tractors are new to me. Just thought it looked cool so I bought it.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  • Oldford said thank you

#8 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 02:46 PM

The wheel weights are worth 60 bucks. Might want to get a different seat

Edited by jabelman, July 02, 2015 - 02:47 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 Slaminbrews OFFLINE  

Slaminbrews
  • 24 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 02:58 PM

I think it's original seat just has a cover on it.

#10 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 03:13 PM

Tractor is 1974 220.  Looks like someone upped the motor to 12 hp.  Somewhere online is a chart to read the Kohler years, google might help with that.

Does the deck have i.d. plate.   Should be J40 maybe K40.  Blade belt should be 69" +/- half inch.  Case has weird belts broken on the 1/2" also they are thicker than regular belts.  So a 1/2" wide 69" belt should ride a little low on the pulley be ok.  That is measured on the outside.

If you had a 44 or 45 deck the blade belt would be 76."

The pto belt should be 65" for either deck.

The plow looks pretty good go for around 125 may have to wait till fall.  deck is around 75-125 depends on condition.   That is near me, your area may be different.

A good running 220 is worth 250-300 on its own if the drive is strong and runs good.  Yours has the hydraulic lift was optional on 220 i believe.  total package price probably worth around 400 bucks if you can clean it up and get it running/working good.  As is no belts has miss probably dirty fluids?  maybe worth 2-300 bucks as package so you did pretty good.

For the miss i would check the spark plug, make sure it is the right one in good shape right gap.  be careful kohler has aluminum head short threads don't overtight.  If plug center is white need to richen the mix.  If black need to lean it out some.  Screw out to richen i believe, go a little at a time w/engine running listen for change.  main jet on top idle jet on side i think.  recheck plug before running hard don't lean it out could fry engine.

Kohler manual should give basic settings for carb http://www.kohlereng...als/landing.htm

Check point gap, maybe file them a little to clean up.  Make sure point wire goes to - on coil.

I would ditch the car battery and put a l/g battery where it belongs front of dash.  be careful of positive cable going through sheet metal don't want a short,

check gen output running at battery, should be 13-14 volts or so,

your pto lever looks engaged i would move it straight up and check for feel, should be pretty snug to move back and forth, they are adjustable, good luck

#11 Slaminbrews OFFLINE  

Slaminbrews
  • 24 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 05:21 PM

Looks better all cleaned up. Found the orange for it but not sure what the tan is?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#12 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 12:29 PM

The tan is called desert sunset probably have to go to a case dealer or try online

http://partstore.cas...n-p1769183.html

#13 oldcasecoltguy OFFLINE  

oldcasecoltguy

• Member No: 2168
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 07:10 PM

The information that you have received is correct, it is a 1974 Case 220, although the 12hp Kohler engine is from a 1969 Case 222PK or 1969 Case 442PK, so your engine is 5 years older than the tractor.

• Oldford said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case