wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 10:31 PM

The more trailers I own the more chances I should have ONE trailer that is the right trailer for the job, right?
But I keep finding myself in between trailers... Still.

The heavy duty homemade 4x8 trailer (let's say 2500 GVWR) is great for hauling one garden tractor at a time, with no mower wide attachments.
The homemade 6x10 trailer (3500 GVWR) is great for hauling (you would think) two garden tractors?
The 5.5x12 tilt trailer (5500 GVWR) is great for hauling the Farmall Cub or two heavy garden tractors.
The 6x12 box trailer (3000 GVWR) makes a great shed....
The 6.5x16 equipment trailer is too heavy for my Ford F150, but can haul everything else hooked to Dad's truck.

So here is my problem, my 6x10 is clearly my problem trailer. I built it 7 years ago when I was into David Bradley walk behinds, and so far only one time have I used it as I had designed it. I had a David Bradley next to a Springfield, but as I recall it didn't work as well as I had hoped side by side would. Ever since I have used a "cheater board" on the tongue of the trailer to load two garden tractors (normally Springfields) nose to tail and it has always been snug trying to use it as a 12 foot long trailer. And as of lately I am starting to get tired of ending up with too much tongue weight.... But I rarely use the full width (unless I have a wider attachment in which it is nice to have the extra width).

So what my thoughts are is to extend the trailer behind the axle roughly one to two feet (still keep the cheater board) to make it easier to shift the loaded weight around. But the problem is that the 5.5x12 tilt trailer could do what I want for free if I built short ramps to use it as a non tilt when hauling nose to tail. But what I don't like about the 5.5x12 is that it is overall 17 foot long and sits low enough to where it can drag more often potentially.

Now, the 6x10 has another issue if I extend it, I will need to reinforce the main frame for certain since I'm on the edge of success as it sits saving used 4 inch channel iron. So now I'm back to the 5.5x12 would perform a lot of what I want for free...

How am I in between trailers???

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, June 30, 2015 - 10:32 PM.

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 05:24 AM

Casey I'm not sure I'm following you .  If the 6x10 trailer would work size wise with maybe a permanent  extension over the tongue but not big enough to hit the truck during turns . And it the only issue is too much tongue weight at times , get a weight distribution hitch , you don't need to use the bars unless you have load on that warrants it . You can keep them handy if you want either in the truck or maybe a tool box on the trailer .     

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 07:08 AM

Why not add a bit on the back of the 6 X 10 and make a 6 X 12 out of it?  Then you could shift the weight back and forth the way you wanted it?

Another option on your 5.5 X 12 is to add a couple of drag wheels under the frame at the back so when you are close to dragging the wheels will hold you off the ground.  You see them on campers and motor homes all the time.   One of the stupid reasons they started to build the campers 3' off the ground.  Last darn thing I want to do when camping is climb stairs.

• MH81, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 07:13 AM

I've seen this trailer.
He showed me a couple of flaws on it.
Casey, I have four suggestions.
Leave the length alone, use it as you do now... It works
Beef up anything below deck that needs it and add a foot behind.
Don't lengthen, widen.
Put all of them on CL and build/buy exactly what you need.
  • Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 07:33 AM

Put all of them on CL and build/buy exactly what you need.          

The best suggestion of all lol

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks