#1 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,227 Thanks
  • 7,458 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 07:27 PM

Does anyone have fruit flies swarming around the house yet? I take a small mason jar and punch small holes in the lid. Then I put cider vinegar in it and put it on the window sill. The gnats love it but can't find their way back out of the jar.

• olcowhand, hamman, tinbender7 and 8 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,287 Thanks
  • 3,715 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Sound like an easy way to get rid of those pesty little guys. I am going to try this.

• hamman said thank you

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 08:27 PM

When I'm out working in the yard I take a used dryer sheet and tuck it in my collar on the back of my neck. Works great. I also put one in the back of my hat when I golf, doesn't help my golf score but keeps the gnats away.   Thanks for sharing.                                                                                          Roger

• Cvans, twostacks, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#4 twostacks OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 06:53 AM

We can't work in the yard without those buggers getting in our ears and face. I got so mad one day that I saturated my straw hat with Deep Woods Off to see if it would work. I don't like putting that spray directly on my skin every time I'm outside so the hat works great. I just reapply whenever I use the hat and no more bugs in my face.  I'll have to give vinegar trap a try because we get them in the house too. I guess they come in on the dog and us.

• hamman and LilysDad have said thanks

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,048 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 08:28 AM

We get gnats coming through our window screens when the lights are on. ....I'll have to try the vinegar trick.  ...Thanks! 

While working outside, the gnats are horrendous here on a humid day. ....I used to use bug spray, but didn't like the smell, taste, or toxicity.

Vanilla extract used for cooking (buy the cheap stuff!) is very effective, and can be applied to the skin or clothing.  ....At first, the gnats will fly around your face, but will not land.  ....Soon, they will not even approach you.

• LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks