• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dougjullie OFFLINE  

dougjullie
  • Member No: 72192
  • 10 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 10:08 AM

I picked up a Gilson Wards Hydrostatic 16 (model 33185A) cast iron single cylinder Briggs & Stratton engine (mod. 326437, type 0135-03, code 7708081).

It has been repainted in primer by the previous owner(s) with a few missing elements and changes that I can tell thus far. It is missing the "Interlock wire assembly #32863" or the wire with coiled springs on both ends that make contact with the PTO lever when engaged and the foot pedal when depressed. It is also missing the black kill wire that goes from the magneto/coil area to the tab on the top side of the condenser. The PTO warning light was modified (wire to key switch still there, but second wire was cut and routed to the middle right post of light switch -- supposed to attach to safety wire switch with spring or interlock wire assy). Since the PTO warning light second wire was routed to the middle right post of the light switch, the grounding wire that shows up in the wire diagram was removed and not used. The tractor runs but does not shut down at the ignition key switch.

I purchased a new keyswitch to replace the one I had to see if it would kill the engine in the off position because the original was so badly rusted. I checked to make sure it had the "M - B - G - S - L" designated posts for wire connections. I picked up another headlight light switch for replacement (6 wire connection tabs in back of it) as well. I did cross reference the original Gilson part numbers to get the direct oem spec replacements. Except for the PTO warning light, all remaining wiring as seen on the wiring diagram for the tractor appears to be connected as it should.

After getting into the blower housing to look at the mag/coil, the only wires I saw was 1). a bare wire from mag/coil connecting to a spot on the engine that had a black wire leading to inside the points/condenser, 2). a bare wire connected to the mounting screw of the armature - opposite side of mag/coil where the wire initially came from, 3). the spark plug wire. My initial question is if this the correct attachment setup for the mag/coil? I did try connecting a black 18 gauge wire from the bare wire attached to armature mounting screw and ran it through to the top of the condenser's cover electrical mounting attachment tab. Still no shut off at the key, as of today. I need to figure out why it's not grounding out at the switch so the mag can be grounded out and turn the engine off.

Last thing, that I am trying to understand is a (positive +) red wire lead going to a fuse on the engine while and a white wire next to it is slipped into a groove of the engines housing going back to the light switch, which I believe to be ground. This ground wire is not seated well in the housing and is quite loose. What are these exactly?

Any help about this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Doug

#2 dougjullie OFFLINE  

dougjullie
  • Member No: 72192
  • 10 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 10:13 AM

Forgot to mention the + red wire lead to the fuse came from the positive of Solenoid as per the wiring diagram.

Thanks, Doug