• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,116 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 04:58 PM

If you were installing new blades on your deck, would you put the regular blades on or mulching ones. This tractor does not or ever use the mulching kit on it to collect the grass. Just wondering if the mulching ones are any better for cutting or worse. Thanks, any input would be great.  Noel

• pharmer said thank you

#2 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 06:05 PM

I just installed Gator G5 blades on my JD and they are great. I like to mulch and these blades cut the clipping so fine that you can't see them.
  • Alc, hamman, DennyIN and 1 other said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,666 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 03:15 AM

I put Gators on My JD and it cut more grass and made even bigger wind-rows, which I was trying to make less. I found out later you need to have mulcher block for the outlet for those blades to work. That on mine is a plastic thing that I never have been able to put on and make it fit and stay correctly. I now have just the reg JD blades again. My PK cuts much finer and I use that on yard now more than the JD. I have even followed the JD with Wife on it with my PK and cut up here windrows and not needed to sweep then, much better.

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 05:35 AM

Seems like you need to find out how the blades work on a  certain model ( deck too )  before knowing if they are any good . I did a search for my tractor because in the fall I put a piece of sheet metal over the chute to mulch the leaves but I couldn't find any .Unless you have to go by blade hole length instead of tractor model  mine's a  JD 318 w/50" deck  

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 07:14 AM

I run the Gator blades on my 48" deck on a JD F525 with the deflector removed.  The end of the deck is completely open and it blow grass out about the width of the last pass.  No windrows, no bunching, no re-cutting.  Picks up the front idler wheel tracks nice also. A BIG key as to how a deck will work is how CLEAN it is underneath.  Keep it clean, either by power washing, with a hose or just scrape it out but keep it cleaned out and your deck will do a much better job of mowing.

• Alc said thank you

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 08:17 AM

I had the gators on my Sears, didn't like them at all. Didn't seem to get enough lift to cut properly, horrible when I tried to cut the taller field grass. I know other guys using them on their Sears, they love them. I will stick to my factory blades on my Suburbans

• Alc said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 06:35 PM

I use one that cuts the grass! :smilewink:

#8 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 07:27 PM

I just installed some gators on my 420 with the 60". Seems to cut much better now. Of course the blades that they replaced had been sitting in the dirt for at least a year and a half. I think 2x4's would've been an improvement. I also don't have a deflector but that's not by choice. I get nervous when aiming at my house and cars. I'm considering adding some kind of plate to block the chute.

Eric

Edited by dropped82, June 30, 2015 - 07:28 PM.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 07:42 PM

Mulching Blades are only good if your deck was mulching compatible. The mulching occurs when you get enough air lift to recirculate the grass in the deck longer, if you have a regular shallow deck that originally didn't come with mulching blades as an option the blades will do you no good.

• Alc and TAHOE have said thanks