• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • Member No: 48091
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 03:17 PM

Just purchased this guy today. Dont know a lot about the sears handiman tractors other than they are pretty neat looking. It appears all complete missing only the rear wheel rims. It came with a plow and cultivator. He even said it had the optional front counter weight?. Not sure if it is a option or just standard. Any info on these tractors would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows where I could get the rear wheel rings for it I'd appreciate anyone to help me find some of them. Thanks

Edited by cglisson01, June 29, 2015 - 03:18 PM.

• classic and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 03:33 PM

Neat old rigs.  Can't help with any information, but I'd like to see one in person.

• cglisson01 said thank you

#3 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 03:35 PM

Here are some pics of it

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150629_155450.jpg
  • 20150629_155507.jpg
  • 20150629_155522.jpg

• Alc, boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,655 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 04:14 PM

I see a fella at Portland, IN show and others that has odd-ball tractors for sale all the time, his specialty. He had a couple of these and many others this spring, seems to know them and where parts are when I was asking. Seems he had a card and was a business for odd purchases. I didn't take a card, but took pictures. They are in the Portland Spring swap file on here I think. Not sure if I might have caught a sign or name in those?  Measure the Outside dimension on that cast center and see if IH Cub wheels are same.  These are 24" wheels and I see them alot for sale. They would have tabs to bolt onto the center, just four. OR, maybe you would need the clean ones that have small clamp castings to hold on?  Miller Tire in Ohio has many wheels by sizes and not real expensive and come in the mail believe it or not. I once got 36" for my MM R tractor that way. Check out there website or leave a question on there, they have good knowledge of what was used and still available. Tractor shows and swap-meets are best source for used, but would have to be big one to find this model of tractor if the standard offerings don't fit.

• Alc and cglisson01 have said thanks

#5 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 04:28 PM

I see a fella at Portland, IN show and others that has odd-ball tractors for sale all the time, his specialty. He had a couple of these and many others this spring, seems to know them and where parts are when I was asking. Seems he had a card and was a business for odd purchases. I didn't take a card, but took pictures. They are in the Portland Spring swap file on here I think. Not sure if I might have caught a sign or name in those?  Measure the Outside dimension on that cast center and see if IH Cub wheels are same.  These are 24" wheels and I see them alot for sale. They would have tabs to bolt onto the center, just four. OR, maybe you would need the clean ones that have small clamp castings to hold on?  Miller Tire in Ohio has many wheels by sizes and not real expensive and come in the mail believe it or not. I once got 36" for my MM R tractor that way. Check out there website or leave a question on there, they have good knowledge of what was used and still available. Tractor shows and swap-meets are best source for used, but would have to be big one to find this model of tractor if the standard offerings don't fit.

I appreciate all the info. I would of been hesitant in buying the tractor if it was missing anything else. But I'm hoping to find some kind of wheel rim out there that will fit the exact same as the original. The guy I bought this one from said the calcium in the tires made it rust out

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,655 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 04:43 PM

I figured that was what happened to them. Doesn't still have the junk wheels around to compare?  They might have been stamped with a manufacturer name and size if you could find that on them. What about the old tires then too?  He have any idea what size was on those?  Measure up as noted and call Miller.

#7 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 05:09 PM

I figured that was what happened to them. Doesn't still have the junk wheels around to compare?  They might have been stamped with a manufacturer name and size if you could find that on them. What about the old tires then too?  He have any idea what size was on those?  Measure up as noted and call Miller.

I asked if he still had any of the old tires or wheels and he said he threw them away when he took them off due to the rust. I guess he didn't think about using them to size up a new wheel.

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 06:48 PM

the original wheel was 22", not going to be easy to find either one. Most guys just fit 24" one in their place.

#9 tractornut46 OFFLINE  

tractornut46
  • Member No: 11306
  • 13 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 09:40 PM

Miller tire has the 22 inch wheel blanks which are around 200.00 a piece. They also have the 7.50-22 tires I believe are around 900.00 a set. Awful expensive restoration.

#10 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 01:05 AM

Miller tire has the 22 inch wheel blanks which are around 200.00 a piece. They also have the 7.50-22 tires I believe are around 900.00 a set. Awful expensive restoration.

I appreciate that info. If all else fails I will just have to break down and buy the 22's since they are original to the tractor. That is pretty expensive, but I think it would be worth it

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 06:46 AM

Neat find. These things are uncommon, bordering on the "R" word.
I know a gent with one, be careful with that rear end. He had a gear go bad in his and it took him years to find one.

As for the 22" rears, Kubota used a 22" on something
Tubes and 9.5" tires: http://www.ebay.com/...or&_sacat=43560
Might be on the lookout for rims in the Kubota dealers. See if they will work with the centers cut out.

#12 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 07:40 AM

That thing is beyond cool!

#13 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 01:39 AM

I've always admired these tractors and it looks to be a great restoration project. It's quite a bit of work restoring an old tractor in this condition, but we'll worth the effort. The projects I've been working on were in about the same condition or worse when found, but I'm learning a lot and having fun in the process. I've been finding out that it's best to replace whatever bearings and seals that you can in these old machines. It's amazing how smooth everything operates with new bearings. Looking forward to seeing this tractor restored.
  • MH81 and cglisson01 have said thanks

#14 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,019 Thanks
  • 549 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 07:17 AM

That's going to be a fantastic piece of machinery and history when you get it operable.  One of my favourites.  Congratulations on a great find, and I look forward to reading more about the story of how you get it going.

#15 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 12:26 PM

That's going to be a fantastic piece of machinery and history when you get it operable.  One of my favourites.  Congratulations on a great find, and I look forward to reading more about the story of how you get it going.

I've always admired these tractors and it looks to be a great restoration project. It's quite a bit of work restoring an old tractor in this condition, but we'll worth the effort. The projects I've been working on were in about the same condition or worse when found, but I'm learning a lot and having fun in the process. I've been finding out that it's best to replace whatever bearings and seals that you can in these old machines. It's amazing how smooth everything operates with new bearings. Looking forward to seeing this tractor restored.

I appreciate it. I think it gonna be a good project. I hope to be able to make the time to start on it here soon