• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 02:47 PM

I would like to know the symptoms of valves needing work . long rambling posts are great . any educational sites or links  are welcome . just tryin to learn about valves and what they do . thanks for your time

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 03:32 PM

I googled "what constitues an engine needing a valve job" and got almost 2,000,000 hits.....

You don't want me to copy and paste all of those do you?

• alec said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 03:53 PM

I would like to know the symptoms of valves needing work . long rambling posts are great . any educational sites or links  are welcome . just tryin to learn about valves and what they do . thanks for your time

Download and read the manual. Start in the troubleshooting guide. Good Luck, Rick

• alec said thank you

#4 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 03:55 PM

I googled "what constitues an engine needing a valve job" and got almost 2,000,000 hits.....

You don't want me to copy and paste all of those do you?

no just the good stuff   :thumbs:

#5 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 04:07 PM

Download and read the manual. Start in the troubleshooting guide. Good Luck, Rick

thanks boyscout !  I have downloaded all the manuals for my tractors and the service manual and have read a good amount including the troubleshooting guide . I was never a good student because of a little dyslexia and a little adhd . and I have a hard time grasping some things . I have always done well when I get help from the guys who do the stuff . it also prevents me from making false assumptions and breaking things. hahaha   ... you guys have stopped me from that more than you know and I appreciate it

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 04:20 PM

Seems the Librarie would have lots of books on basic engine knowledge from HOW it works, which you might want to start with, to the specific model of engine you have.  Used book stores may have books on Auto Shop like used in High scholls and Teck places that show How things work and some repairs that can be made. One should understand the crank throws and cycles first, then the cam actions to open/close valves, THEN the techniques of how to grind valves and seats and such. Keep in mind the shop books from schools will show the valves, the seats and the guides and how to inspect them and repair or replace.  Some things may require more tools or machines than common guy has, yet most auto parts stores offer machine work too for things that need special tools. Maybe even epay will have some shop books from schools.

• alec said thank you

#7 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 04:28 PM

Low compression could be a sign of bad valve sealing --oil burning could be worn valve stems or guilds but  bad rings could give the same signs ,spitting out of the carb could be a leaking intake valve or timing a tad off ---a leak down test is a sure way to pin point if it's the valves or rings.and you don't need a fancy tester just an air supply and a hose hooked up to a spark plug adapter kinda hard for me to explain how to do it but I think you could find something on you tube that walks you through the steps. 

• alec said thank you

#8 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 08:04 PM

this is a great site for learning about valves and such . guy does a great job explaining stuff too ( at least for me :rolling: )

http://www.gardentra...om/valvecam.htm

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#9 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 08:45 PM

Try this link, Zippo Varga does a good job I think 

• alec said thank you

#10 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 10:03 PM

Try this link, Zippo Varga does a good job I think 

nice ! I like this guy it just hard diggin through all his interests to find stuff . thanks