#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,584 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 09:38 AM

to do what you want , really ?  It just seems that there is not enough time to get all the work around the house done in a typical day. Mowing gardening house works, Etc.. That leaves little time to work on the Gts and get done what I want to do. They said when I retired I would have all the time in the world to do things. Wow ..... that is far from right. I guess since I and the wife retired we have created our own monster by working in the yard and opening up new parts of the yard by cutting brush , trees, etc.. We've planted more flowers in more flower beds and made a larger garden. Winter time seems the only time I have to get some work on Gts done but that is limited due to the garage being cold unless we move the car out of the front garage ( which is heated ) and move the Gt in there for a while. Been trying to get the sleeve hitch welded up for the Homelite and also get the deck back together for it. If we are not mowing and weeding, we are running to the Dr. for one of us. If not that we are taking care of friends dogs or helping a neighbor with their yard work. I'm not complaining just wondering how I fell into the trap that I was going to be able to just wrench, wrench, wrench as much as I wanted after retirement and it has been any thing but that. I enjoy being able to get out an do what I do and am so very glad my wife is able to enjoy the yard and flowers as she does with her ailments she has. I will not pass up a chance to help someone with a problem in the area and it make me feel good giving back. The morning chuckle this morning was the wife saying, " Well today you can get back to work on"" your little projects"" ......  oh wait you have to fix this, fix that, and don't forget you have to mow the ditches and the truck needs to be washed and we need to go let the in law's dogs out and then we have to take the rest of the Christmas decorations and put them back in the shed from the garage and then this afternoon before dinner we have to feed the dogs for our friends and then fix the back deck and move the things we talked about the other day, to the other shed ! " All of this in one breath and taking about two min to say. I told her that by the time we did all that and had lunch do the dishes and laundry I should be able to get to "" my little projects "" sometime around Thursday this week. She said "No" " Thursday and Friday we have Dr. appointments. "   I really do like having the time I have and the ability to do things when I can do them. There are many who can't and I hope and pray they can at least enjoy their day as they go thru it.   Have a great day everyone. Life is good and we need to enjoy it.                                                                                       Roger

• olcowhand, massey driver, daytime dave and 13 others have said thanks

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Still Roger, I'd recommend retirement to anyone.  Sounds like you are really "retired" now.

• grnspot110, hamman, JDBrian and 6 others have said thanks

#3 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 10:01 AM

But its Great, not to be sick or in the Nursing home, to help some one for nothing more than a Thank You. My days go about like you described & I love it.

• massey driver, daytime dave, MH81 and 8 others have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 10:03 AM

Roger, your story sounds familiar. I retired back in Jan. I found I was busy doing all kinds of stuff. I had the time to step up and help out our church during a time of conflict and discontent. I work with a lot of volunteers who are retired. Most of them seem to be as busy as I am. I had the same dream of wrenching on GTs and in truth I haven't even started one up since I retired. I'm hopeful I'll get back at it this fall/winter. Whatever you are doing to stay busy I hope it's giving you satisfaction and there is certainly no harm in staying busy.

• massey driver, daytime dave, grnspot110 and 6 others have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 10:30 AM

Guys, I found that wives can not stand for you to be "idle" and getting in their way. You have to set aside sometime each week for yourselves. Whether it be wrenching, fishing, walking, or stamp collecting that relaxes you, YOU have to standup for yourself and take time for yourself. You will find that the time taken is not missed by the other activities and you will be happier. Do make an effort to take better care of yourselves. We are at the age where most die within 3 years of retiring. Good Luck, Rick 

This says the guy who was working on his son's car until 0200hrs this morning.

Edited by boyscout862, June 29, 2015 - 10:31 AM.

• daytime dave, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#6 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Retirement good very good.

• daytime dave, grnspot110, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,657 Thanks
  • 7,682 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 10:53 AM

" Well today you can get back to work on"" your little projects"" ......  oh wait you have to fix this, fix that, and don't forget you have to mow the ditches and the truck needs to be washed and we need to go let the in law's dogs out and then we have to take the rest of the Christmas decorations and put them back in the shed from the garage and then this afternoon before dinner we have to feed the dogs for our friends and then fix the back deck and move the things we talked about the other day, to the other shed ! "

This isn't hard to understand. If you want more time to yourself, send her on a cruise.

• daytime dave, Gtractor, MH81 and 6 others have said thanks

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 11:14 AM

This isn't hard to understand. If you want more time to yourself, send her on a cruise.

Now that's funny as hell.

• daytime dave, MH81, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#9 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 12:14 PM

My Dad always said this:  I don't know how I had any time to work all those years!!  How you spend your retirement is what it is all about.  Set reasonable goals and don't leave out time for things you enjoy..  I have spent time with many retirees that just want to get out and enjoy being in the public and chatting with other people..  My father spent time in the church as well but I feel it was too much..  What I believe is that while the church does great things for the less fortunate members there are others who just want the power and play the politics of it all.  This I do not agree with at all and it sickened me when I would see it..  I prefer to help others and spend time with them without the political BS the church has become..  But everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  

Make a pact with your 'Honey-do' to make time for your enjoyment also or you will go nuts and be resentful down the road..  Plan some trips and gad about the world with your wife as well..  Enjoy the rest of your life-  you worked hard to get here..  

• daytime dave, hamman, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#10 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 12:38 PM

Something that works for my "retired" neighbour is to tell all that I'm doing his chores and they'll be gone for two weeks. Then they simply stay home, refuse to answer the phone and relax doing anything they want to do around the yard. Devious, but it works for them.
  • olcowhand, daytime dave, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#11 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,584 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 04:22 PM

I think I've said it before here but, I don't remember how I got all this done before when I was working full time ! Retirement is great but I just have to try to budget my time better. Usually the wife and I have been out fishing 10 times by now but haven't gone once. That busy thing is really keeping us going. Washed two vehicles today, and waxed and cleaned the inside. Fed and walked dogs and watered the garden and rear yard. Had a little lunch and cleaned the cement approach and moved some stuff in the garage. Good day, got a lot done. Now time to relax and get the boat ready to fish the next couple of days, weather permitting. Thanks guys, Oh, by the way,  I tried the cruse thing but she came back ............. whewwwww, for a minute there I thought she was looking over my shoulder. Better go before she reads this.                                                                                                                                                                                                       Roger

• grnspot110, KennyP, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#12 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 05:01 PM

When I was working I spent a day on the water nearly every week through fishing season.  Sold the boat shortly after I retired since I didn't use it more than 2-4 times /year anymore!  I've been retired 9-1/2 years, still 2-3 years behind on projects!   :(  Don't really expect to ever get caught up!   :wallbanging:    :D

• daytime dave, hamman, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#13 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 05:12 PM

Sounds like you are trying to do all the little jobs that have been put off for years in 2 weeks,  You have the rest of your life to do them.

How do I know??? I Retired in 01 and just figured that out last week !

• massey driver, grnspot110, hamman and 3 others have said thanks