- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cattle-Dog OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69622
  • 19 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 10:00 PM

So as I posted a few months ago, I purchased an LGT16D.  Overall it is in good shape, but needed some TLC in certain places.

The first place I started was tires.  They seemed original, were dry rotted, and all 4 leaked.  The rears were not that big of a deal.  Bought some 6 ply's and had them mounted.  Done deal.

The fronts... oh man, the fronts have been a living nightmare.  The first one did not want to come off (rust in the spindle), but I was finally able to convince it.  However, it has a lot of rust around the valve stem on the rim.  A lot.  So I set it aside and worked on the next one.  I cannot get it off the spindle!  I assume more rust, but its much worse!

I have beat it with a soft mallet, pulled, yanked, screamed, yelled... Then I upped the ante.  Didn't want to use open flame with the all the grease in the area, but put a high end heat gun to the hub until the bearings were starting to smoke.  Still won't budge.  Finally, I pulled the valve stem and broke the outside bead of the tire while it was all mounted.  Then I put a big set of gear pullers on it attached to the rim.  It still would not budge! I tightened the pullers until the rims were warping and beat the back side of the rims with a mallet. Still not go!  So tightened up the gear puller more (with an pneumatic impact!!) and put a spud bar against the back of the rim, coming through the other side, and hit it with a sledge hammer.  I've been doing this all night and it's only moved 1/4"!!

One, any suggestions for getting this POS rim off the spindle?

Two, I may have or will end up having ruining the rim, plus the one that came off had a lot of rust around the valve stem.  I looked up the part number for new front rims (SBA450140440).  But I can't find them ANYWHERE! Does rims from anything else fit? I assume LGT14D, but its the same part number.  What about other LGT models or even non Ford/Holland rims?

Thanks in advance.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,487 Thanks
  • 7,359 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 10:33 PM

You should be able to find rims based on the diameter, widths, spindle diameter, and offset. I usually check places like https://www.surpluscenter.com/  and  http://www.baileynet.com/  . There is a place on EBAY that specializes on wheels and tires from TN. Good Luck, rick

• MH81 said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,758 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 06:58 AM

What are the dimensions of the rims? Need the rim width, diameter, offset and bore size. Have a friend that is a Ford gatherer that may have something that would work. May not be an exact match but would work in a pinch.

Edited by chieffan, June 29, 2015 - 06:58 AM.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,634 Thanks
  • 39,004 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 07:20 AM

Are the spindles 1" on that? The reason I ask is the bearings for it are '25MM' in size. Maybe some JD rims might work?

• Alc said thank you

#5 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,216 Thanks
  • 3,207 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 07:43 AM

Front wheels tend to not be unique to a brand or model, tire dealers/wholesalers, tractor supply houses, etc... will be able to get nearly any rim.

#6 Cattle-Dog OFFLINE  

• 19 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 12:06 PM

Those are the sort of things I was hoping to hear.  The bearings are in fact:

BALL BEARING,25mm ID x 52mm OD x 15mm W

The tires are 16x6.5-8.  So I believe they are 8" rims and are 6.5" wide.  Not sure on the offset.  I'll have to measure.  I don't think it is far from 0.

#7 Cattle-Dog OFFLINE  

• 19 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 01:36 PM

I did find out that John Deer wheel part AM102887 is a 6.5x8 wheel that uses the same bearings.  What I don't know is it's offset and if there is a major difference in hub length, so that the bearings actually sit on the spindle and the castle nut actually retains them.

#8 Cattle-Dog OFFLINE  

• 19 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 09:29 AM

So here is a question.  Being as this tractor is still essentially built in Japan, the Shibaura GT161, has anyone been successful in find or importing parts for it?