11 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 08:55 PM

I am not familiar with either one of these tractors as I have mainly Bolens.  A acquaintance has a SS14 with no seat, no good tires, missing the carb off a B&S 14 hp.  Motor is free. It has a manual 3 point.   He also has a GT18 with no hood and blown motor.  Included is a snow thrower, deck and front blade that he said would fit either tractor.  Has all linkage, etc. and manual.  Also has one set of good tires.  He indicated he would like to trade it all for one of my Bolens tractors and deck.

I have no idea what his package is worth.  He said he has over $500 in the attachments but I take everything he says with a bucket of salt. Nice guy but plumb full of it.

Everything he has sits outside year around.  He is hard on equipment to say the least.  I really don't want my good tractor that has never sat outside to go to those conditions.

I would rather buy the GT18 outright if I knew an 8 hp Wisconsin would fit in it.  Would have to remake a Bolens 850 hood to fit.  Any comments or suggestions are welcome. 

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,241 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 09:26 PM

No offense to your friend, but the $ he is throwing is way north of reality IMHO.
The 3point, if complete with top link) would be 75-100
The snow blower is 100 if in usable, complete condition,
The rest is going for around 100 per ton, last I checked... (If enough parts to make one franken tractor with your engine: maybe 50?)
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 10:13 PM

Why would you even think about parting with a Bolens for a Sears? You know his stuff is abused so, its probably crap. Just say no to crap. AC/Simplicitys and Bolens are keepers, everything else may be negotiable. BTW weren't SS14s equiped with Tecumseh engines? Good Luck, Rick

• Delmar said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,241 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 11:52 PM

Why would you even think about parting with a Bolens for a Sears? You know his stuff is abused so, its probably crap. Just say no to crap. AC/Simplicitys and Bolens are keepers, everything else may be negotiable. BTW weren't SS14s equiped with Tecumseh engines? Good Luck, Rick

I'm certain that if the right Sears were offered, it would be a much more attractive offer. As for the rest, I have a simplicity I keep for the tiller and a few sentimental reasons and a Bolens that wants to hate me., even with Grandpas hitch on it
  • Delmar and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 11:57 PM

I'm certain that if the right Sears were offered, it would be a much more attractive offer. As for the rest, I have a simplicity I keep for the tiller and a few sentimental reasons and a Bolens that wants to hate me., even with Grandpas hitch on it

Notice that his Bolens has never sat outside. If it is in that good of shape, why even think of trading for something that has sat out for along time? I'm sure that the Bolens doesn't hate you, its just misunderstood. Maybe it just feels neglected.

Edited by boyscout862, June 28, 2015 - 11:59 PM.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 06:52 AM

Thanks guys. I got the nudge I needed to stay away from the deal. I will probably go look at it only because I need to pick up a steering arm for a Craftsman he has. Son needs one for his mowing unit. Think I will hang on to my Bolens. At least I know what I have in them. They all run and work good, except one needs points but that is minor, after they are in and set in a Wisconsin ? ?

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 06:59 AM

. BTW weren't SS14s equiped with Tecumseh engines? Good Luck, Rick

No, The 71 SS14 and 72 SS15 were the only two 66-79 Sears Suburbans made with a Briggs flathead, all the est were either Tecs or Onans.

The 14 is a 71, since he said both could share attachments, that places the GT18 at a '78 or '79, most 18's had the twin onan, but they did make a GT18 those yrs with a OH180 Tecumseh.

I would say 200-250 max deal since one sounds like two parts tractor and attachments are only worth 50-75 a piece IMO.

EDIT: you replied as I was typing, Sounds like you made a good decision.

Edited by TAHOE, June 29, 2015 - 06:59 AM.

• rustyoldjunk and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 10:37 AM

parts for briggs cast irons are not bad. you can get knock off carbs for 50 bucks at times off ebay for them i got a knockoff on my ss15 and it runs good. but down side is they are gas hogs compared to a tecumseh. but got alot of power and torque i like them

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak, June 29, 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,672 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 11:11 AM

I would stick with the Bolens in this case

Sounds like he has alot of crap for alot of Money.

#10 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 08:45 PM

To each there own. I would take a Roper over a tube frame Bolens by far anytime. A large frame might interest me but lets just say that we have reversed opinions on Ropers and Bolens.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 10:15 PM

To each there own. I would take a Roper over a tube frame Bolens by far anytime. A large frame might interest me but lets just say that we have reversed opinions on Ropers and Bolens.

I like the Bolens and the Ropers but, condition is a big factor. We are all entitled to have our own opinions. Different strokes for different folks. Good Luck, Rick

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#12 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 09:14 AM

Bolens are arguably good tractors, so are the sears/ropers.  I have plowed a lot with a ss12 and a  gt18, both do a fine job pulling a plow thru thegarden, pushing snow, etc.  I have used a Bolens for the same tasks and they do fine too.  I have mowed with the sears, and wasn't impressed.  Never mowed with a Bolens, so I couldn't offer an opinion on that.  Now, if the guy had a john deere up for trade, I would jump on that!  LOL!

Edited by Delmar, July 03, 2015 - 09:15 AM.