• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 05:42 PM

I went to start my HT20 today, jumped on it, turned the key and it fired and shut off. I scratched my head because it always runs decent, aside from burning some oil. I pulled the plugs and both were sparking fine, however i noticed that i had quite a bit of fuel blowing out the right side cylinder (non muffler side) when cranking over without the plugs. I pulled the head on the non muffler side, cleaned all the carbon and checked the valves. I gently cleaned both, reassembled and still nothing. It continued to blow quite a bit of fuel out the same side. Tractor won't even begin to fire... anyone have a suggestion? Again, spark seems good, but no fire.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nick

Edited by nglauer, June 28, 2015 - 05:45 PM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 06:41 PM

Have you put an inline spark tester on to see if your getting spark when the plugs are in?

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#3 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 10:33 PM

I tested them outside of the motor. I do have an inline tester though. Is it possible for it to spark outside of the motor, but not in the cylinder? I'll pull the other head off for cleaning this week and verify nothing is going on there. I'm sure some new plugs are in order too.

Thanks,
Nick

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 06:22 AM

... Is it possible for it to spark outside of the motor, but not in the cylinder? ...

That's very possible, and can even happen with brand new plugs.

• WrenchinOnIt and nglauer have said thanks

#5 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 11:07 AM

If plugs is not the problem any chance the governor up and broke? Could always do a quick timing check to see if anything slipped way out of place? Does it have compression, maybe a valve issue? Seems odd that neither side will fire... This is a very weird issue. 

• WrenchinOnIt and nglauer have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 07:28 AM

Check that key where the flywheel and crank shaft join.  If it gets just partially sheared it can cause serious firing problems.  You may have fire but is it at the right time?

• Alc and nglauer have said thanks

#7 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 04:49 PM

I'm not really sure. Will investigate it more this weekend. My grass is getting scary lol. Will update as soon as i get a chance. Thanks for the help guys. Hope it's something simple :)

Edited by nglauer, July 01, 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#8 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 07:29 PM

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the coil and plugs and plug gap on an ht23 vs ht20? If all else fails, I have new parts for the HT23 that i can steal. Or, I guess I could get motivated to finally pull the ht23 motor and put in the new hydraulic lines and starter. I suppose I should probably get her finished anyways. I've prolonged finishing it for so long, i guess if i can't figure out the ht20.....it might be a good time to de-mothball her.

Edited by nglauer, July 01, 2015 - 07:30 PM.

#9 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 07:31 PM

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the coil and plugs and plug gap on an ht23 vs ht20? If all else fails, I have new parts for the HT23 that i can steal. Or, I guess I could get motivated to finally pull the ht23 motor and put in the new hydraulic lines and starter. I suppose I should probably get her finished anyways. I've prolonged finishing it for so long, i guess if i can't figure out the ht20.....it might be a good time to de-mothball her.

The parts you name interchange between the two.

#10 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 07:35 PM

Doug, I hate to steal from one machine to the other, but i do miss running my ht23. I wonder if i would have any advantage mowing with one machine over the other? I've contemplated parking the HT20 for awhile now, until i can give it a proper restoration (it was my grandfather's and does smoke some). I just loath the idea of using the disposable Huskee GT to mow until i have one tractor or the other running again.

Edited by nglauer, July 01, 2015 - 07:36 PM.

#11 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 10:57 AM

IMHO, the quality of the cut depends more on the deck than on whether it is on an HT20 or on an HT23. I have several of the various 54" decks, and one of the later 48" decks that was available for the HT23. The 48" deck gives a much better cut on either my HT20 or one of my HT23's
  • Alc and Rock farmer have said thanks

#12 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 07:58 PM

I did some further inspection and i have a damaged exhaust valve. It looks like it hammered on something, yet there is no damage to the seat or head and no further evidence of anything broken floating around (that was visible). I didn't do an actual compression check but i could hold my thumb on the spark plug hole without it blowing my thumb completely off, the other side has 3x the compression (i suspect a replacement valve should fix her up). Now i just need to order a good used set.

Thanks again for all the help. I will update once i get parts and put her back together.

P.S. anyone know if i can grind the valve and seat with compound "in place" for a good seal.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#13 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 04:44 PM

I'm searching for a good individual exhaust valve if anyone wants to sell one. Thanks, Nick

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:01 PM

I'm searching for a good individual exhaust valve if anyone wants to sell one. Thanks, Nick

I can still get them new from Kohler $ 74.58 shipped

#15 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:09 PM

I'm hoping to find a nice used one. Although that is a better price than the new ones i saw listed online.