• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 05:36 PM

Hi all, my PK has the K361 18hp engine before I purchased the tractor I researched the engine read everything I could find, the problems all seem to be with the cylinder heads ( the rest of the engine is good like the Kohler K's) and the head problem is the valve seat coming out, seems that some engines had very little problem and some didn't get many hours at all. Most seem to think the main problem was a cooling one brought on for the most part from the overhead assy leaking oil onto the head and baking on to the cooling fins reducing cooling and over heating the head.

So now my question for all, I've seen pics of PK's for sale with the Cyl head cooling tin removed, I'm thinking this is not a good idea, while it does make it easy to see oil leaks and to keep the fins clean I think the Kohler installed the cover to get maximum cooling what do you all think?

k361 engine pic.jpg

Edited by MNGB, June 28, 2015 - 05:42 PM.

#2 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 06:38 PM

Removing the tins is never a good idea. I never heard about the oil. The overhead assembly reduces the amount of fins there are.

• MNGB said thank you

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Hi lilysDad, I read that a number of times but how true it is I have no idea, you observation of less fins is a good point and makes sense, and I agree I don't think is good, I've also notice that the exhaust cover has also been removed to me that may or may not be bad it would allow a lot of heat under the hood near the instrument panel and hyd pump etc.